Where to buy Walking/running sneakers/ Skechers?

Mom4diet
Mom4diet Posts: 56 Member
Hi, I started walking this week, from almost nothing to 30 min. a day at 3.5 mph, and now my knees are in terrible pain. After the third day, I quit. I'm 32 and aching like an old lady every time I need to bend my knees.
I know it's very possibly due to the fact that I don't have sneakers. I've been walking in my nonsupportive loafers.

So my first step to get to help my legs is good shoes.

I'm only going to wear them 30 min a day for walking.

There's a nice skechers outlet near me... but is that a good enough company?

Where do you buy your walking shoes? What do you wear?
Thanks!

Replies

• snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    I'm 66 and love my Sketchers. I buy lightweight ones with memory foam and can walk for hours. I hardly wear other shoes now. They give support without weight.
  • thisvickyruns
    thisvickyruns Posts: 193 Member
    I wear sketchers for walking, love them!
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    I also buy their sandals for the summer. Great for walking when it's hot ( and I just threw a 3 yr old pair in the wash--cold water, and they came out new, or almost).
  • Mom4diet
    Mom4diet Posts: 56 Member
    Thanks everyone!
    So consensus so far is that Skechers are supportive and cushiony for walking. That's very reassuring and helpful.

If I'd try to buy shoes like New Balance, what other brands would you recommend, and where would you purchase them (brick and mortar store, USA)?

Thanks
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    edited May 2021
    Mom4diet wrote: »
    Hi, I started walking this week, from almost nothing to 30 min. a day at 3.5 mph, and now my knees are in terrible pain.

Radical viewpoint here. About 90% of shoes have a raised heel, which is fine for running, but it creates a clunkier walking gait that contributes to joint stress. Good walking shoes have a zero "heel to toe drop", like Vans, Keds, Altras, etc. The Skechers & New Balance i've seen all had a raised heel. Converse are fine if they're comfortable. Avoid running stores unless they have Altras or similar zero drop shoes.

By the way, consider reducing to 10-15 minutes a day and adding time gradually.

EDIT: Skechers has a couple of Keds & Converse knockoffs that should work:
    https://www.skechers.com/collections/dr-seuss/dr.-seuss-bobs-b-cute---top-all-the-rest/113601.html
    https://www.skechers.com/women/shoes/dr.-seuss-vlites-2---dont-give-up/155329.html
  • Magic_Chicken
    Magic_Chicken Posts: 141 Member
    After years of people telling me try sketchers I finally did and they are really really comfy!! haha. I think I got mine in Costco x