Food inspiration, or what's for supper?

Replies

• Janatki
    Janatki Posts: 730 Member
    Other son made Greek Koftas tonight! Tried new foods cornichons, sweet chilli peppers from a jar, Siratcha sauce & halapeano peppers! Yuk to Siratcha & halapeanos - far too hot for me ! 😬
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    We are having our huge salads and Tyson grilled chicken strips mixed with a cup of mixed vegetables and chicken gravy from the jar topped with mashed potatoes....cookie and coffee for dessert and yogurt with bran and fruit mixed in for a snack while watching hockey game.....
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,394 Member
    Janatki wrote: »
    Other son made Greek Koftas tonight! Tried new foods cornichons, sweet chilli peppers from a jar, Siratcha sauce & halapeano peppers! Yuk to Siratcha & halapeanos - far too hot for me ! 😬

You have to build up to it! For me the gateway drug was Vietnamese Pho Soup (at local restaurants) with the mix of Sriracha and Hoisin sauces!
  • PAV8888
    Sautao brand Hot and Sour Xiao Qiao Style Rice Vermicelli soup 220g with 126g of red onions and 81g of Delstar smoked corned beef brisket which claims to have half the calories the USDA estimates for the cut of meat!
  • eliezalot
    eliezalot Posts: 620 Member
    We did take-out from the local bbq place last night. We ordered the brisket, pulled pork, and their amazing jalapeno cheddar sausages. Sides were cornbread, coleslaw, and potato salad. I had to roughly estimate, but ended up under my maintenance calories, so we'll call it a win. In-laws leave this morning, so back to the usual food routine!
  • eliezalot
    eliezalot Posts: 620 Member
    I just discovered a new treat.
    We had a virtual health and wellness fair at work last week, and on of the events was a healthy snack cooking demo. All of the ideas were quick and simple, and I finally just tried one of them. I'm in love.

Their recipe called for 2 Tbsp greek yogurt, 2 Tbsp peanut butter, cinnamon, and a drizzle of honey. Mix it up until it is smooth and creamy, dip things in it.

I used about a third of a cup of greek yogurt, 2 Tbsp of regular PB2, half a Tbsp honey, and a sprinkle of cinnamon and dipped some apple slices in it. Then I ditched the apple and ate it with a spoon. It is so smooth, so creamy. Like a buttercream frosting. You could totally put this on a cake. The whole snack, apple included, came out to 201 calories. It was filling and a delight to eat, and now I'm too full for my actual breakfast.

• Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,227 Member
    Tonight I am making hibachi style chicken. Going to serve it will sauteed zucchini and onions, white rice, and that yummy pinkish creamy sauce lol. The sauce is a calorie bomb, but I have enough set aside for tonight for it. Now... should I do fried rice or white rice?
  • conniewilkins56
    We are having separate meals tonight....husband is having a burger and baked potato and I am craving refried beans on tostados with jalapeños,salsa, and onions!....dessert is berries, melon and grapes!
  • Janatki
    Janatki Posts: 730 Member
    Chinese chicken stir fry here! Everything out of a container! Quick easy tea as worked late & off out to watch son play footy!
  • AlexandraFindsHerself1971
    AlexandraFindsHerself1971 Posts: 3,106 Member
    They had beef and bean enchiladas with all the trimmings and I had a taco salad, because I don't like enchiladas.

I also pulled a four-pound pork shoulder so that it will be pulled pork. I haven't put it into 8 ounce bags yet; it's all in a big work bowl in the fridge. I'll weigh and bag it tomorrow. I am starting to run out of steam and think about a bath and a nice book on some weighty bit of science.
  • conniewilkins56
    Daughter was suppose to make lasagna for entire family but she got delayed at school....last day of the year....so I literally threw a turkey kielbasa in the oven and some baking potatoes in the air fryer....I had already made a huge salad....we ate later than usual and it threw me out of wack with dessert coffee and my snack....but it was nice to have a back up plan for dinner, especially with my daughter...SMH!
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,227 Member
    I am making a version of a cobb salad for dinner. Mixed greens plus butter lettuce, cucumber, feta cheese, avocado, boiled egg, and grilled chicken. Not sure if I will do ranch or poppy seed dressing.

Trying to change my diet up some due to the cholesterol issue:

Fish or shrimp at least 1 dinner a week
    A salad or vegetarian meal at least 1 dinner a week
    Increase fiber
    Increase whole grains
    Increase vegetables and fruit
    Decrease saturated fats
    Red mean 1 meal a month

• AlexandraFindsHerself1971
    AlexandraFindsHerself1971 Posts: 3,106 Member
    We had chicken fingers and dips for lunch, and chicken tikka in masala sauce for dinner, with saag and rice and naan. It was tasty and easy.

I've been really thirsty today so it feels like all I've done is drink water and iced tea for a change of pace now and then.
  • PAV8888
    edited May 2021
    Mr. Dad came up with the idea of "Mussels Omelette", probably because the bag of mussels was front and center in the freezer the past few weeks!

Surprised me by being far from terrible!

Notes for future: reduce the mussels to egg ratio; would be much "lighter and fluffier" by replacing a couple of the eggs with egg whites (say 200g eggs + 200g egg whites instead of the 338g eggs that I used). And I think that using some shredded or cubed potato would have made it a better meal!

I had the "big half"🤷🏻‍♂️ at 449g!

j2kqp1env3jt.jpg