WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MAY 2021

Replies

• skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,807 Member
    B)
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,326 Member
    Went to take my leisurely walk, only didn’t because it was raining. So worked some more on the jigsaw puzzle, now to take a shower

Vince wants to cut the lawn (re: weeds) tomorrow since it’s supposed to be cooler.

Michele NC
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,492 Member
    Llllll
  • ginnytez
    ginnytez Posts: 1,324 Member
    Saturday coming to an end.

Got quite a bit accomplished today and behaved fairly well for my back. It is a bit burning and achy but not much else to do until I see the doctor. Hopefully it is healing on its own.

Start fomax tomorrow morning. Just realized I forgot to double my synthroid this am since I can't take it first thing, so I guess I will start fomax on Monday! Luckily I get up early every day do it shouldn't matter-and I don't have to work on Monday this week so I can see how it goes over with my system.

Looking forward to niece visiting tomorrow. Except for my SIL and son a couple of times, this will be my first real company since Covid hit the scene (I don't really count folks that came in to work on house, if you know what I mean).

Hope everyone has an enjoyable Sunday.

Ginny in Ohio
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,901 Member
    :) Jake planted the tomatoes today and I pulled more weeds and spread more bark. It was very satisfying. We are both careful of our backs so we don't work much more than an hour at a time. We had beautiful weather ( high about 64 degrees and sunny all day).

<3 Barbie in NW WA

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,799 Member
    exermom wrote: »
    M – I know around here the administering of the vaccine was determined by your age. For the first time ever, I didn’t mind admitting my age...lol Maybe it took so long because you are so young????

Michele NC

My vaccine didn't take long at all. It happened much, much sooner than I expected. I didn't expect to get it till October and here it is May and I'm done!

M in Oz

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,799 Member
    Poerava14 wrote: »
    Hello Friends. I took today to catch up on over 350 messages here. It's been a tough month.
    On May 4th DH could not get himself out of bed. He had been walking more gingerly in the days leading up to this, but he was still mobile. EMTs took him to hospital ER where he was ultimately diagnosed with Parkinsons dementia. They also found a chronic slow bleed in his brain. He was put on meds for tremors and rigidity. Also aspirin to reduce blood clots since he was not moving. The care plan called for him to be transferred to a Skilled Nursing Facility for rehab. He was lucid, but due to pain and discomfort, not to mention fear and confusion, he was lashing out violently with the hospital staff whenever they tried to change his diaper. He also couldn't respond to the simplest movements attempted by the Physical and Occupational therapists. This was really not good. The docs started him on one drug, Seroquel. Made him more quiet, but he still fought the night crew who came and woke him up for his change. This narrative was making nursing home placement difficult. Very difficult. Enter Palliative doctor. He prescribed a stronger mood stabilizer, depokote. This ultimately did the trick, but after a few days, he had turned into a zombie. Palliative doctor was frank about his prognosis and we decided then a Hospice protocol was appropriate. He is never going to get better. Gulp. I knew this day would come, but everything was moving quickly. And DH was deteriorating more every day.

He was taken off the mood stabilizer and even after the drugs left his system, he slept everyday for 18-20 hours. We were now into our third week in the hospital, and the social worker was closing in on nursing home contracted by the VA. He was moved there on Wednesday of this week. Because he is not vaccinated against Covid, they have in isolation for 14 days. I am permitted to be with him only if I don full PPE, which I do. Since Wednesday he has continued to decline. I used to be able to get him to take his Parkinsons meds in applesauce and eat 3 meals.
    As of this afternoon, he has completely stopped eating and drinking.

He is calm, no pain, and has strong vitals. I play his favorite music, show him photos of our life, and surround him with light and love. I've verbally given him permission to "take his final flight" to heaven. I mention reunions with his favorite people. I'm embracing the sacred and precious time we have right now. Hard, but comforting at the same time. Dementia is hell and whatever this dream state he is in has got to be better. I am with him for about 11 hours a day, and the staff has my number right over his bed in the event they see any signs he is actively transitioning.

I'm exhausted when I do get home every evening. I'm not eating well or exercising at all. My dear brother is still grappling with his own physical issues. In fact, he is going to ask his MD for referral to hospice and just try to live the remainder of his days with dignity and comfort.

Before anyone gives me the usual tender advice to take care of myself, just know I do! I have been indulging in a glass of red wine, a piece of dark chocolate and an episode of "Call My Agent" almost every night. It's just the mental escape I need before my head hits the pillow for a solid 7 hours of sleep.
    (

I'm so sorry to read of the passing of Schooner, Bonnie and the handful of other loved ones. You have my heartfelt sympathy. I hope we all have brighter days ahead. Thank you for your continued prayers, good thoughts and friendship. Love you all.

Rori
    Still Going with the Flow
    Colorado Foothills

:heart: Big hugs to you! :heart: That's more or less how my grandfather (with dementia) went too. :heartbreak: I will keep you in my thought and prayers.

Machka in Oz
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Allie: Tom wanting the pets cremated with him is the first thing I’ve thought he has any sort of heart. Make your own choice. :heart:

Pip: Barbara is one of us and posts often. Brookings is a small town on the Oregon coast near California. :heart:

Barbara: I hope to get into a yoga routine. So far it is not predictable. :grumble:

(((Rori))): I’m sorry your DH’s situation is getting worse. My heart is with you & I think of you often. :heart:

Friends, thanks for your good thoughts. The loss of Schooner has been sad, and we are getting by. :brokenheart: We hope to get his remains in the near future. We plan to scatter his ashes, along with another wonderful pup, with the two of us when it is our turn to pass away. Our daughter has promised to see that we are all together at the same place on the Oregon Coast where DH and I were married 50+ years ago. I expect, and hope, this will be in many years to come. :heart:

Katla
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,183 Member
    edited May 2021
    Rori - I know how difficult it must have been to write all that. My thoughts are with you often. <3 Love and Peace. :flowerforyou:
    I've just finished Call My Agent for the second time around and I feel as if I've lost my best friends. :'( I wonder if I'll be driven to a third watching. :o

Awake in the very early morning. I will try to drift off again.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • okiewoman510
    okiewoman510 Posts: 1,286 Member
    Rori - I’m so sorry. Your situation just sucks. Big hugs!!

Okie in the TX Hill Country
  • OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,558 Member
    edited May 2021
    Oh, Rori. I am so sorry, but I do appreciate how precious these final hours are and am thankful that you are able to be with him.

Flea
    Willamette Valley, OR
  • grogers511
    grogers511 Posts: 476 Member
    auntiebk wrote: »
    Ginger brava on the streak, boo hiss to the Dr dropping your insurance company and with no notice. If there is a VFW or similar organization in your town, they may have an ombudsman who can help with getting your father’s VA benefits.

Thanks! I hadn’t thought to call VFW to see what they say.
    —Ginger-in-Texas
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,807 Member
    <3
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Kate UK ❤️
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,674 Member
    Rori- my dear friend. ,Bless you.. you and hubby have been through the mill so to speak..
    Honestly I have been in your shoes,at least my FIL was in nursing home,but dementia does suck.. and you being there day after day will help you ,help him make the transition...I was there for many years and truly believe I was brought into Toms life to be there for his family,especially his dad.. i stayed the night when i knew it was time and called Tom when it was close,so we were both with him when he passed..You my dear friend will have no regrets at all when it is his time.for you are a loved and faithful servant ,bless you.. I pray for your brother too.its hard enough for you to be going through this with your husband,but with your brother too,you have very strong shoulders my friend..will keep you all in my prayers xoxo
    Katla- Tom will not be cremated doesnt want that,but we will bury the cremated pets with him...he doesn't believe in any higher power ,or that he will ever see anyone again.so having his pets with him is as close as it will get...
    I woke up and felt my left arm on the upper part and there is a big knot.. just what I need something else to worry about..ugh🙄
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,342 Member
    Rori - I think of you daily. Many hugs, every good vibration I have winging your way.

Allie - The same with you, my dear. The constant health bombardment is exhausting, I know.

And speaking of which, I feel better today. The antibiotics do work while I'm taking them, and while the symptoms don't disappear, they certainly diminish. The nurse practitioner told me her one little old lady had been with her for three years... I have a feeling the doc turns the chronic patients over to her. Which I passed a while back, so pardon me while I feel chronically ill and horribly old for a few moments......... There, pity party over.

The farmers' market was a bust yesterday - made $28 all in. Only a few people came... but then, it was Memorial Day weekend and a lot of people are traveling for the first time since the pandemic began. The vegetable gardens here are still a few weeks from coming in, even for those who planted early, due to a late frost, the tornado and heavy rains for weeks. When the veggies show up, more people will too.

I froze the cookies immediately on my return to the house, so I'll be able to pull those out again next weekend, and I think I'll spend a few mornings making a number of batches of bread dough--it freezes really well, and I could bring it out to proof on Thursday night and shape and bake on Friday much easier than having to run it through two proofs.

I sat and talked the whole time I was there to a new acquaintance--she was widowed in November, and he left her with no life insurance (he "didn't believe in it"), a mortgage with 15 years left on it, and working in a part time job with no benefits. She's 65, still mad at him, and a little bitter about the whole thing. Oddly, even with that, I liked her. She's got a sense of humor, and obviously just needed someone to talk to.

Here's hoping Sunday is, was or will be a more peaceful, better day for us all.

With love,
    Lisa in AR
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    <3
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Rori. - You have been compensating for your husband's deterioration so competently at home, far longer and far better than most people are capable of doing. It is often the case that decompensation occurs rapidly, and we are usually not totally prepared for the speed with which it occurs. As you have said, this is precious time; you must have so many memories flooding your brain space as you and your husband make your way through this final chapter of his life on Earth. I wish I had a towel warm from the dryer for your shoulders, and a hot cup of tea, and could sit quietly with you for a little while. I do hope you think of us as your pocket angels. Many of us think of you daily and are aware of your daily vigil and your devotion to your husband. <3

Karen in Virginia