Whole Wheat Bread

jdh419
jdh419 Posts: 65 Member
What's your favorite whole wheat bread? I get so confused on which breads are good.

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,489 Member
    To the OP, I personally get the cheapest and at Safeway, it's their Signature series bread in whole wheat.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • penguinmama87
    penguinmama87 Posts: 1,158 Member
    I think you can do whatever you like. I think you can get perfectly serviceable, tasty, and healthy bread without spending a ton of money on it. My go-to storebought bread is actually Aldi's split top wheat, which is very inexpensive. There's also a local bakery that makes amazing bread and rolls that I will sometimes buy for special occasions.

I actually like to make my own bread when I have the time for it, but I do it because I like to, not because I think I have to.

If you buy something new and it's only OK, you don't have to buy it again. If it's so bad you don't want to eat another slice, give it away to someone who will eat it or grind it up for breadcrumbs.
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    I love wholefoods harvest rolls
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Personally, I like Aunt Millie's whole wheat because it's 35 calories a slice. The net carbs are good, too, if that's your thing.
  • Zinka61
    Zinka61 Posts: 523 Member
    Dave's Killer bread *is* good, but if you want less sugar, Natural Grocers sprouted legume bread is one of my favorites, and Ezekiel Bread is really good quality. Read ingredients, avoid high fructose corn syrup, look for whole grains, etc. Whole grain bread is a great addition to a healthy diet.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,872 Member
    Eat the bread you enjoy the most, the difference with most supermarket whole grain and a decent white bread is minimal at best.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    edited May 2021
    I like Brownberry. It's on the high side, calorie-wise, but I like the taste.

And unless you have a medical condition that requires you to limit carbs, don't listen to anyone who says you shouldn't eat bread. If you like it, and it fits your calorie goals, then it's perfectly fine.

I lost 40 pounds to reach my goal weight, and have maintained it for years, all while eating bread, pasta, sugar, etc. I just moderated all these things and kept to my calorie goal.
  • lmf1012
    lmf1012 Posts: 402 Member
    I read the nutrition labels and selected a couple to try to see which I liked best that also had the nutritional numbers I was looking for.
  • MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    For the benefit of fiber (and the fact artisanal bakeries abound in my city), I prefer whole grain breads. For example, I finished a loaf of a chia bread within a few days last week!

Sprouted breads can be fun too but that seems to be an acquired taste for some. If you're interested in trying, then look in your health food store's freezer section.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,413 Member
    Lewis Bakeries has a wheat bread that is 35 calories per slice. It tastes like regular bread but is cut thinner. I prefer their white bread, @ the same calories. I toast it, or make French toast with it.

Lately I’ve been getting bakery loaves or making my own farmers loaves, cutting them myself and freezing the slices. I love garlic bread. If I cut to my own specs with a super sharp knife (Mercer Culinary on Amazon is inexpensive and incredibly sharp) I can cut it extremely thin.

That way I have the illusion of “lots” of garlic bread on my plate, but they’re really cracker thin so they’re low cal. That’s enough to make me happy.

Carb Smart tortillas taste just like regular ones, are dinner plate sized, and only 45 calories. Great for wraps etc.

Street style soft corn tortillas are also comparatively low cal. I’ve been using them as layers in casseroles.
  • jdh419
    Honestly, I tried sourdough bread and I highly recommend it! Studies shows its easily digested and low in sugar, which is great for diabetics. https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/sourdough-bread

Yes I have a health food store that has local made sourdough. It's very good but it's expensive.
  • jdh419
    Thanks everyone! Cutting out whole food groups for me doesn't work, I am not low carb. I guess I am overthinking it. LOL!
  • MissBraeBee
    MissBraeBee Posts: 40 Member
    jdh419 wrote: »
    Honestly, I tried sourdough bread and I highly recommend it! Studies shows its easily digested and low in sugar, which is great for diabetics. https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/sourdough-bread

Yes I have a health food store that has local made sourdough. It's very good but it's expensive.

Yeah sourdough can be more expensive because the yeast is VERY hard to take care of, I tried and I failed completely hahaha. Basically you have to water and feed it sorta so it grows and becomes active :P but even frozen and toasted after, it tastes just as great!