Gained - Confused

I have a lot to lose so getting frustrated. I started 8 weeks ago at 133kg and haven’t lost much. I was set to sedenatary and was letting my Fitbit tell MFP what extra was needed. That didn’t seem to be working, so I unhooked Fitbit from MFP as this was all getting me down so started logging extra exercise on MFP. I do over 6k steps a day, and entered any extra exercise. I changed from sedentary to lightly active and then lost 3.5lb. I thought, YES I’ve figured it out. So did exactly the same the following week and put 2lb on 🤦🏻‍♀️. I log everything that passes my lips (yes I weigh food) I drink plenty so can’t work out why I’ve gained. I can’t put it down to water weight can I? I only walk an hour leisure pace a day and maybe do two bike rides (1hr not fast). Just getting a bit deflated at the lack of movement :(

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    First month your weight went from where to where?
    Second month your weight went from where to where?
    You are weighing yourself how frequently?

Making your diary public would help enormously or it turns into 20 questions!
  • toadflaxbex
    toadflaxbex Posts: 55 Member
    sijomial wrote: »
    You are weighing yourself how frequently?!

I’ve fluctuated 133, 132, 133, 131 like that for 8 weeks then last week 130.3 this week 131.8.

I weigh weekly, first thing Monday morning.

• sijomial
    sijomial wrote: »
    You are weighing yourself how frequently?!

I’ve fluctuated 133, 132, 133, 131 like that for 8 weeks then last week 130.3 this week 131.8.

I weigh weekly, first thing Monday morning.

In your position I would adjust my calorie balance downwards.

As for the reasons why your calorie balance isn't working for weight loss there's simply not enough data for anyone to judge. Could simply be the wrong goal for you, could be inaccuracy in tracking one or both sides of the equation.
  • toadflaxbex
    When I first started at 133 I had set to sendentary and was eating 1400 max. Now to lightly active at 1650 🤷‍♀️
  • sijomial
    I'll just quote myself here.
    "Making your diary public would help enormously or it turns into 20 questions!"

Your choice of course.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    When I first started at 133 I had set to sendentary and was eating 1400 max. Now to lightly active at 1650 🤷‍♀️

How are you measuring the food you eat? Do you use a digital scale to weigh solids and semi-solids?

How are you choosing entries? Some are really screwed up.

Are you putting recipes in MFP or using generic ones here?

With a small deficit, accurate logging is going to be critical.
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1234699/logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide/p1
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,895 Member
    There are mistakes that people commonly make that cause them to not lose weight that we might be able to spot if you change your Diary Sharing settings to Public: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,421 Member
    When did you start the bicycling? An hour at a time for a new exerciser is pretty stiff. Got any thigh aches or muscle soreness elsewhere? It could be water retention.

Your body directs water to sore areas to aid in healing. It can be quite a lot of water, and water is heavy.

When is your period due? Same thing.

Eating a lot of fiber rich foods you didn’t used to? Experiencing any constipation from the dietary changes you've made?

Any chance you’ve introduced something particularly salty into your rotation? I looove me some Lidl chicken sausages, but they do have a lot of salt. Some unexpected foods do, too- cottage cheese, sugar free instant puddings, deli meats, cheese.

By any chance have you done any traveling during this period, particularly air travel?

But my first and foremost place to begin would be good weighing and logging accuracy.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,501 Member
    Eat another 200 calories less a day and see what happens.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • toadflaxbex
    When did you start the bicycling? An hour at a time for a new exerciser is pretty stiff. Got any thigh aches or muscle soreness elsewhere? It could be water retention.

I’ve been cycling for a good few weeks now, 45-60 mins a time. Knees are aching a bit

Your body directs water to sore areas to aid in healing. It can be quite a lot of water, and water is heavy.

When is your period due? Same thing.

No periods, I have a coil but my body did try last week (the week I lost)

Eating a lot of fiber rich foods you didn’t used to? Experiencing any constipation from the dietary changes you've made?

No constipation, nice and healthy in that respect

Any chance you’ve introduced something particularly salty into your rotation? I looove me some Lidl chicken sausages, but they do have a lot of salt. Some unexpected foods do, too- cottage cheese, sugar free instant puddings, deli meats, cheese.

No same foods, I’m vegetarian, my diet is mostly based around eggs, beans, salad & quorn.

By any chance have you done any traveling during this period, particularly air travel?

No

But my first and foremost place to begin would be good weighing and logging accuracy.

I use digital kitchen scales, I’ve been logging everything. I use own recipes barcode scan most stuff and double check it’s right.

I did MFP 3-4 years ago and lost 8stone, so I know I log right. so i just don’t get, what’s going on now. I’ve tried under 1300 cals, got stuck. Upped to what MFP suggested (1450), still stuck, changed my activity level to lightly active (1650) and the scales moved the right way. Continued the same and they moved the wrong way. I’m scared to risk not weighing for a few weeks and see a dramatic increase.

Today I’ve been a lazy cow because I’m deflated did a 30min walk with my 6yr old so slow and that’s all I’ve done apart from general walking around. Currently my Fitbit is saying I’m at 2365 cals burned (6pm). So maybe I’m active?! Currently sitting at 6,459 steps.

I will look at changing diary settings.

I won’t give up and I appreciate everyone’s input and guidance. I just wanted you to know that I’ve tried the lower end of calories. Eugh

• natasor1
    natasor1 Posts: 271 Member
    Take away that beans and corn, be more concentrated on protein and skimp on carbs
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,583 Member
    The step counts that you mentioned (sub 7.5k, over 5k) indicate someone in the lightly active category of MFP assuming you do not add separately anything that has generated the aforementioned number of steps.

Beyond that I would look for measurement errors in terms of scale weight determination and intake logging