MarathON!

124»

Replies

• RunsWithBees
    RunsWithBees Posts: 1,508 Member
    LoveyChar wrote: »
    Always learning new things and looking to improve, I need to focus on tips 1,2,3 and 8 because I do all these things wrong.

https://www.verywellfit.com/tips-for-proper-running-form-4020227#:~:text=8 Tips for Proper Running Form 1 Keep,your shoulder joint, not your elbow joint.

Nice article, this is exactly how I run! When I get tired I tend to start hunching over a bit and tucking my arms in. I have to remind myself “Long, tall torso!” “Relaxed arms, hands and legs!” I’ve also heard that hands should be moving in a “hips to nips” pattern. I never realized before that hands/arms played such a big part in running but they do, it can make all the difference :#
  • LoveyChar
    LoveyChar Posts: 4,335 Member
    One week, one day
  • LoveyChar
    Looks like I'll be running 26.2 on a 90 degree day in the rain next Saturday.

fel8y868grcz.jpg
  • LoveyChar
    o6b2e0njqavy.jpeg
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,257 Member
    Always learning new things and looking to improve, I need to focus on tips 1,2,3 and 8 because I do all these things wrong.

https://www.verywellfit.com/tips-for-proper-running-form-4020227#:~:text=8 Tips for Proper Running Form 1 Keep,your shoulder joint, not your elbow joint.

Nice article, this is exactly how I run! When I get tired I tend to start hunching over a bit and tucking my arms in. I have to remind myself “Long, tall torso!” “Relaxed arms, hands and legs!” I’ve also heard that hands should be moving in a “hips to nips” pattern. I never realized before that hands/arms played such a big part in running but they do, it can make all the difference :#

I run trails in Oregon, and my adult daughter used to go with me and would tell me on the uphills, "Use your arms and your legs will follow"-advice from her XC running coach from high school. It's so true.

Good luck with your last week, @LoveyChar !! Race day sounds HOT! But maybe it's not that hot for Texas? You've got this :)
  • hist_doc
    hist_doc Posts: 206 Member

fel8y868grcz.jpg

What time does the race start? Here in Philly our marathons always begin early in the morning, so it’s much cooler. Perhaps if that’s the case for you, it will not have reached high temp for the day?
  • LoveyChar
    edited June 2021

I run trails in Oregon, and my adult daughter used to go with me and would tell me on the uphills, "Use your arms and your legs will follow"-advice from her XC running coach from high school. It's so true.

Good luck with your last week, @LoveyChar !! Race day sounds HOT! But maybe it's not that hot for Texas? You've got this :)

Love the advice, thank you! And yes, definitely it's not hot compared to what it will be in a month or two and I've run on those 100+ degree days. Sunscreen and hydration! Thank you for your support and vote of confidence as I'll be carrying that on race day, too!
  • LoveyChar
    hist_doc wrote: »

fel8y868grcz.jpg

What time does the race start? Here in Philly our marathons always begin early in the morning, so it’s much cooler. Perhaps if that’s the case for you, it will not have reached high temp for the day?

Organizers are staggering runners. I start at 9:00 and I'm slow so I'll be running into the hottest point of the day. I've run on 100+ degree days before, though, so I just need to remind myself of that and stay hydrated.
  • LoveyChar
    I have an uneven mixture of emotions, 90% excitement and 10% anxiety. It's going to be a fun one...
  • Logman78
    Logman78 Posts: 36 Member
    100% awesomeness. Excited for you
  • hist_doc
    hist_doc Posts: 206 Member
    hist_doc wrote: »

fel8y868grcz.jpg

Organizers are staggering runners. I start at 9:00 and I'm slow so I'll be running into the hottest point of the day. I've run on 100+ degree days before, though, so I just need to remind myself of that and stay hydrated.

Wishing you all the best! You’ve got this!
  • LoveyChar
    I was going to write a long story but I know I don't like reading long "race reports" and usually don't, so I'll spare you.

Anyway, I finished. Barely. But, I finished. I walked the majority of it. I rolled my ankle and bruised the side of my foot. That's not why I walked, though. Walking was because I inadequately trained and now I know trail running is twice as hard as road running; at least in my opinion it is. Ankle and foot are better today than yesterday, but still a little swollen and bruised. It will all be back to normal in a day or two. Besides being a little sore, I'm fine.

To anyone who long distance trail runs, accolades to you because wow it's hard! There were rocks, steep hills, streams, bugs, sticks...I have nothing to compare it to but I was told by a lady who has run several trails that this one was very difficult with lots of hills and a couple of super steep ones. The trail was narrow and I moved over to let other runners blaze by me. It was pretty cool to see some of them flying through the terrain like that, naturals.

I know people who love trail running often say they love it because there is so much beauty in nature to see. I was too busy staring at the path directly in front of me so I didn't trip, fall and break a bone or crack my skull and die that I didn't have much of an opportunity to take in the scenery.

The high was 83° with the sun beating down on us. I worked up an incredible sweat. Between the mud, the streams, the sweat, I came out wet. Mosquitos were biting and I couldn't outrun the suckers.

At the end of my second loop, I ate four small containers of Pringles, two small packages of Oreos, and one Chips Ahoy and that was my breakfast. I was so hungry until that point. I made two friends on the trails, both ladies that broke up unwanted solitude in those moments.

In the moments, running and walking was not fun and I just wanted it to be over with. But after it was over, I appreciated everything. I would never blindly sign up for anything again, especially a Marathon type of running I've never tried before.

It was a festival with people running all day. Supporters sat in lawn chairs or under tents outside of the start/finish line and cheered. My daughter ran and walked with me the last loop, 6.55 miles, in Crocs and no socks. Even though she wasn't a registered, paid runner, the organizers gave her a medal completely unexpected and put it right around her pretty, little neck. It was so sweet. She wants to run the festival next year. Everyone there was so nice and supportive and cheering for each other. The organizers and volunteers were supportive to people like me with all the questions and everyone was smiling and happy. The aid stations were stocked. The trails were clearly marked, although, I did manage to get lost as I was looking down too much and possibly veered a couple of miles off the beaten path until I found my way back.

I 100% plan to run next year but it will probably be a 10k with my daughter and then we'll just stay and enjoy the festivities and swimming. I earned my medal and I'm wearing my shirt. Life is good.

I'm so glad it's over.

Thank you so much for your presence and uplifting words...

wlsvqaeb4ule.jpg

• RunsWithBees
    RunsWithBees Posts: 1,508 Member
    Congrats on finishing the race! Sounds like you had a blast and so sweet that your daughter wants to run it with you next year! Thanks so much for sharing your experience with us, it’s been a pleasure to follow your progress :)<3 indeed trail running is its own special sort of beast, definitely different from pavement but so rewarding once you get the techniques down. I enjoy the unpredictability of it all, even running the same trail twice it’s a different experience each time. So happy for you LoveyChar! <3
  • LoveyChar
    Congrats on finishing the race! Sounds like you had a blast and so sweet that your daughter wants to run it with you next year! Thanks so much for sharing your experience with us, it’s been a pleasure to follow your progress :)<3 indeed trail running is its own special sort of beast, definitely different from pavement but so rewarding once you get the techniques down. I enjoy the unpredictability of it all, even running the same trail twice it’s a different experience each time. So happy for you LoveyChar! <3

Thank you...