Help, I think I overdid it??

pabmac
pabmac Posts: 53 Member
So yesterday I think I managed to work out too much, given my usual level of activity. I went rock climbing with a friend but I only went up once so I felt like I needed to do more. So I did the dumbbell workout I’d planned on and 10 mins of core because my core is a mess. I worked out 6 days this week, alternating running with HIIT.

Today is my recovery day thank god but I woke up at 3:30am and couldn’t sleep for 2 hours because of muscle soreness, even though I doubled up ibuprofen and Tylenol. I finally realized I was hungry so I ate something and finally fell back asleep around 5:30. Then when I woke up again for the day, I’ve just felt like a wreck. I feel like I’m moving through molasses and I know in need more calories but my appetite is also kind of non-existent.

Any suggestions?? Going this hard was not actually part of my overall goals. I want to be able to sustain a healthy level of exercise. How do you know when you’ve done too much? How can I best recover today? I’ll take any advice. Thanks so much everyone

Replies

• Beverly2Hansen
    Beverly2Hansen Posts: 378 Member
    DOMS. Delayed onset muscle spasms are the root of all workout soreness. I get them often and there's some things that help. Serious stretching for a good 10-20 minutes. Cellulite brushing and massaging those areas. Mostly though exercise is actually what lowers the soreness and at first it's the last thing you feel like doing. Especially if your tender to the touch it's the only thing that lowers your discomfort enough to go about your day normally. CBD rubs, tiger balm and icy hot can all sooth you temporarily too and baths can help. Sometimes shower water pressure can hurt a lot though if it's bad.
  • pabmac
    Mostly though exercise is actually what lowers the soreness and at first it's the last thing you feel like doing.

Doing more exercise today isn’t something I would have thought of 😅 so thanks for that suggestion!!

• psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    pabmac wrote: »
    Mostly though exercise is actually what lowers the soreness and at first it's the last thing you feel like doing.

Doing more exercise today isn’t something I would have thought of 😅 so thanks for that suggestion!!

Sounds like lactic acid build up. My thoughts... not a doctor btw... just a nurse.... plenty of water and stretching might help.
  • Speakeasy76
    Speakeasy76 Posts: 961 Member

By exercise, I think she means light exercise, like walking.

Foam roll sore spots has been helpful for me, but I also tend not to get into the habit of overdoing it, either. I also don't go to failure with all of my exercises, and only do once a month for a few. I also do foam rolling and mobility/warm-up sets BEFORE I start my strength training, and all-in-all that takes me at least 15 minutes. I'm old, though (not really--it's all relative) and have a history of muscle imbalances and chronic tight and sore spots just from living.

You may need an additional recovery day from your next workout depending on how you're feeling, or at least use lighter with weights than normal.
  • Beverly2Hansen
    Beverly2Hansen Posts: 378 Member
    To clarify a 30-40 minute walk should help legs. For arms I shadow box for 15 minutes using 5lb weights and that usually restores movements very well. Also that rock climbing pic looks fantastic!
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,342 Member
    Btw, don’t forget DOMS creates water weight, as your body sends water to affected muscles for repair.

The more DOMS you’ve got, the more water weight you can expect. Based on what your describing it could easily be 5-10 pounds or more.

Don’t panic when the scale goes up and, um, brace yourself for a massive wee wee in a few days.
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    It's probably a bit late now, and sounds silly, I do find magnesium helps reduce the DOMS. Doesn't eliminate entirely but makes it so i can actually sit down lol.

I agree with others though, a gentle walk, stretching and foam rolling. And time
  • pabmac
    Btw, don’t forget DOMS creates water weight, as your body sends water to affected muscles for repair.

The more DOMS you’ve got, the more water weight you can expect. Based on what your describing it could easily be 5-10 pounds or more.

Wow- yep 5 lbs up!! I was going??? I’m glad you mentioned it, because even though I obviously know scale fluctuations are a TOTALLY NORMAL thing, I was working hard to not be discouraged. Now I feel much better. 🤣
  • pabmac
    Thanks so much everyone who replied- I really appreciate it and it helped a ton with not being discouraged!! Thanks for the suggestions and support!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,454 Member
    psychod787 wrote: »

Sounds like lactic acid build up. My thoughts... not a doctor btw... just a nurse.... plenty of water and stretching might help.
    Lactic acid build up is a fallacy. It only happens during exercise. It DOESN'T last after exercise is over nor stays in the blood system.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,454 Member
    Movement is the BEST thing you can do. DO NOT just sit around. It will give your muscles more time to tighten up and then hurt even more to move.
    As to overdoing, EXPECT it when you do more physical activity or higher resistance than you're already used to.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png