Struggling with LOW CARB, high protein meal ideas

Hi Friends, :)

I am a newbie on this journey, on it just under a week and managed to lose almost 7 lbs, but it has been a struggle - dietwise.
I am suppose to consume a low amount of carbs and until now, hadn't realized that carbs are in almose every-damn-thing and LOTS of it! :#
Can anyone share some low carb, high protein, low fat recipes ... meat and dairy free preferred, but not mandatory. It has been easier to find meat and diary replacements than Low Carb, go figure! :o

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,871 Member
    How many g's of carbs are you consuming? Low carb diets don't necessarily increase protein (there is a diminishing return with protein) and will sometimes advice to increase fat. If your not going to consume animal protein then you need to be aware of bioavailability with different protein substrates and maybe a vegetarian or vegan can help in that regard.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,937 Member
    Here's the list of protein foods:
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10247171/carbs-and-fats-are-cheap-heres-a-guide-to-getting-your-proteins-worth-fiber-also/p1

But...low carb high protein? What do you mean by that? The 7 pounds you lost by cutting carbs is just water loss, not all fat loss.

I lost all my 80 pounds (in 2008) by eating a well balanced macro plan of around 40-50% carbs. There's no need to cut an entire macro group - just cut calories to a reasonable deficit.
  • SheisFitMel
    SheisFitMel Posts: 14 Member
    Thanks @neanderthin & @cmriverside
    I am learning so much.
    My macro plan calls for Carbs 50% (150g), Protein 20% (60g), Fat 30% (40g) - problem is, my food choices tend to blow my carb allotment. Wouldn't that hinder my progress?
    Although I have been earning bonus calories through workouts, I really want to make better choices overall.
    It just seems like everything, including my fav veggies are carb loaded. So really, if I had some low carb high protein recipe samples, I could use as a baseline to plan my meals.
    Does this make sense?
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,937 Member
    I am learning so much.
    My macro plan calls for Carbs 50% (150g), Protein 20% (60g), Fat 30% (40g) - problem is, my food choices tend to blow my carb allotment. Wouldn't that hinder my progress?
    Although I have been earning bonus calories through workouts, I really want to make better choices overall.
    It just seems like everything, including my fav veggies are carb loaded. So really, if I had some low carb high protein recipe samples, I could use as a baseline to plan my meals.
    Does this make sense?

50C/20P/30F is a very reasonable split, but your calories are awfully low at around 1100..That's probably your main problem. Try eating more.

If you want recipes, you can google that, but it's more about eating the foods you like in the portions that help you stay in your goals.

Other than that, you'll have to learn the way we all do.

Plug your foods into your food diary before you eat them. I log food in the morning. Then I adjust the portions to make them fit. It's a bit of a Rubik's Cube and it takes practice.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,886 Member
    I am learning so much.
    Does this make sense?

I agree that 50C/20P/30F is a very reasonable split, and that eating only 1200 calories is part of the problem. Unless you are very very short and sedentary, you can eat more and lose weight just fine. Do you exercise? What percent of your exercise calories do you eat back?

It is definitely easier for meat eaters to eat protein goals, but quite possible for vegetarians/vegans; it just takes more planning. What do you mean by "meat"? Does that include chicken and fish? If you have no objections to eating chicken or fish, problem solved.

What about eggs? Hard boiled eggs are a great snack. 1 large is 72 calories and provides 6 g protein and 5 g fat. Eggs meals don't have to just be for breakfast - they are my go-to "don't feel like putting much effort into dinner" meal. I like to sauté low carb veggies like onions, red pepper, and a green like asparagus or spinach and then scramble in some eggs. I eat way more than 1200 calories so have room for toast and butter as well.

If you would prefer to avoid all animal products, then get to know what plant foods provide the most protein. Foods like tofu, seitan, and tempeh spring to my mind, but see the link posted above.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Where did this plan come from and why that calorie limit?
    Are you both small and sedentary?

As you are discovering when you have a small calorie allowance it really cramps your choices and makes getting good nutrition much harder.
  • naomi9271
    naomi9271 Posts: 127 Member
    So, I had the same problem....not enough protein and too many carbs. These are the things I’ve done...I’m no expert though.

1) Add some egg whites to my scrambled eggs for breakfast. They’re high protein and low calorie and help you feel full longer.
    2) High fiber flatbread wraps to replace bread in sandwiches
    3) Shrimp and tuna fish are great sources of protein and also low calorie.
    4) Protein powder in case all else fails.

I agree your calories look too low. Did you look at your TDEE maintenance estimation to see if that number makes sense?
  • luvinlowcarb
    luvinlowcarb Posts: 1 Member
    edited June 2021
    I eat a low carb/high fat diet and its worked for me for 16 months ths now. Down 67 pounds and keeping it off.

My protein comes from animal meat, eggs, fish (lots of it..salmon which also has food fats, tuna, ect.)..chicken thighs with the skin on, ect. fats are from avocados, walnuts and coconut oil as well as real/grass fed butter. I don't do much dairy from cheese.

Carbs are from veggies for me minus potatoes/corn/peas. Just watch your cauliflower rice intake, for example.
  • diannadlr
    diannadlr Posts: 1 Member
    I calculated my macros and started eating the right balance for my loss goals. (There are a bunch of calculators for free online). I’ve found some of the best low carb high protein items are lean red meat, turkey breast cutlets (about 30 grams per serving and only 2 carbs!) also, a yogurt brand I like is Esti- 20+ grams of protein a serving. I keep a lot of my recipes on my Instagram page (not sure if it’s allowed to post here, feel free to delete if not - @diannascooking)
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    I am learning so much.
    Does this make sense?

If you prefer not to have meat and dairy and your favorite vegetables are higher carbohydrate, then it's possible that a low carbohydrate diet isn't the best long term fit for you. Unless you have a medical reason to limit carbohydrates or find that it makes it easier to meet your goals, it may be worthwhile focusing just on the calories for weight loss (while, of course, making sure you're getting sufficient protein and fat to meet your nutritional needs). I'm not trying to second guess what works for you, I just want to make sure it's clear that low carbohydrate isn't the ONLY way to lose weight.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    I am learning so much.
    Does this make sense?

That's a perfectly reasonable split...and no, going over your carb allotment doesn't hinder progress. Weight management is about energy (calories). Carbs are also not "bad" choices...there are numerous sources of carbohydrates that are packed with nutrition. As far as veggies being carb loaded...well, fruits and vegetables are predominately carbohydrates...starchy vegetables like potatoes and other root vegetables more so...but pretty much all fruits and vegetables are predominately sugar or starch as their primary source of calories. Carbohydrates consist of starch, sugar, and fiber.

I tend to do lower (not low or keto) carb when cutting because I don't log and it's an easy way to reduce calories. For me, that means simply skipping the starch or grain as a side with many of my meals. Like dinner is very often some kind of protein seasoned or marinated and thrown on the grill along side a large serving of asparagus or broccoli or other vegetable, skipping the rice or quinoa or beans or potatoes I would usually have as a side item.
  • SheisFitMel
    edited June 2021
    Thank you @cwolfman13 , this is very helpful and has been the way things are shaping up for me. Which veggies do you tend to eat more?
  • SheisFitMel
    I am learning so much.
    Does this make sense?

If you prefer not to have meat and dairy and your favorite vegetables are higher carbohydrate, then it's possible that a low carbohydrate diet isn't the best long term fit for you. Unless you have a medical reason to limit carbohydrates or find that it makes it easier to meet your goals, it may be worthwhile focusing just on the calories for weight loss (while, of course, making sure you're getting sufficient protein and fat to meet your nutritional needs). I'm not trying to second guess what works for you, I just want to make sure it's clear that low carbohydrate isn't the ONLY way to lose weight.

I hadn't thought of it that way. Thanks @janejellyroll
  • SheisFitMel
    sijomial wrote: »
    Where did this plan come from and why that calorie limit?
    Are you both small and sedentary?

As you are discovering when you have a small calorie allowance it really cramps your choices and makes getting good nutrition much harder.

I really havent had trouble finding food choices, just want to know how to make the right choices and understand food better. I was sedentary but have since added cycling, cardio work outs and strength training to me daily activities. Ive found protein shakes help, protein with loads of veggies and other options. Still able to stay within my 1200. Of course 1200 is just to help with weight loss and once I get there, Im sure the plan raises it to maintain the size and activity levrl. Thoughts?
  • SheisFitMel
    diannadlr wrote: »
    I calculated my macros and started eating the right balance for my loss goals. (There are a bunch of calculators for free online). I’ve found some of the best low carb high protein items are lean red meat, turkey breast cutlets (about 30 grams per serving and only 2 carbs!) also, a yogurt brand I like is Esti- 20+ grams of protein a serving. I keep a lot of my recipes on my Instagram page (not sure if it’s allowed to post here, feel free to delete if not - @diannascooking)

Thank you, I will certainly check out your page for more recipes!
  • SheisFitMel
    I eat a low carb/high fat diet and its worked for me for 16 months ths now. Down 67 pounds and keeping it off.

My protein comes from animal meat, eggs, fish (lots of it..salmon which also has food fats, tuna, ect.)..chicken thighs with the skin on, ect. fats are from avocados, walnuts and coconut oil as well as real/grass fed butter. I don't do much dairy from cheese.

Carbs are from veggies for me minus potatoes/corn/peas. Just watch your cauliflower rice intake, for example.

SUPER SUPER HELPFUL! Thank you so much. I have been staying away from dairy and most starches. Have you been cooking with coconut oil? @luvinlowcarb
  • SheisFitMel
    naomi9271 wrote: »
    So, I had the same problem....not enough protein and too many carbs. These are the things I’ve done...I’m no expert though.

1) Add some egg whites to my scrambled eggs for breakfast. They’re high protein and low calorie and help you feel full longer.
    2) High fiber flatbread wraps to replace bread in sandwiches
    3) Shrimp and tuna fish are great sources of protein and also low calorie.
    4) Protein powder in case all else fails.

I agree your calories look too low. Did you look at your TDEE maintenance estimation to see if that number makes sense?

@naomi9271 what is TDEE?
  • SheisFitMel
    tsazani wrote: »
    My macros are 70%f/20%p/10%c.

Lots of animal based food and full fat dairy. Nuts, olives, and avocado too. No added sugar. No grains. No beans or legums. Almost no fruit. One serving of broccoli or salad per day.

My LCHF diet cured my obesity, fatty liver, type 2 diabetes, hypertension, high cholesterol, and enlarged prostate. All consequences of insulin resistance.

I was able to quit 4 prescription meds. For diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and enlarged prostate.

I'd like to quit my daily baby aspirin but that's something I'll discuss with my PCP and cardiologist.

My position will be that because of my age and good health the risk of a stomach bleed outweighs the risk of a heart attack and stroke.

Congratulations on getting do much under control. If more people realized diet is a major cause of many diseases I think they would try to eat healthier. Can you give me an example of what you would eat, lets say for dinner? @tsazani
  • KevHex
    KevHex Posts: 256 Member
    https://tdeecalculator.net/ This link should walk you through TDEE and give you your numbers.