Exercise for damaged ankles

jabf86
jabf86 Posts: 7 Member
Hi all,

A few weeks ago I fell down a hill and injured my ankle. Which has meant exercising has been limited, slow and gentle.

However I have now injured my other ankle. 🙈😫

Any tips and advice on exercises that I can try that will be safe and painless for my dumb ankles.

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,907 Member
    Go to Bob and Brad Physical Therapists on Youtube or facebook and look for ankles.

I recently had a bad sprain and did all the rehab exercises they suggest. They're pretty awesome.
  • runsrunsruns
    runsrunsruns Posts: 15 Member
    You want ultra-low impact on your ankles... so cycling & rowing would be top of the list.
  • age_is_just_a_number
    age_is_just_a_number Posts: 630 Member
    Let them heal before doing too much.
    Focus on upper body and core. Anything you do with your legs must be low impact.
    Try swimming.
  • SilverJem77
    SilverJem77 Posts: 46 Member
    I broke my ankle last year and had to use a stationary bike initially until I had recovered enough to do my daily walks again. Be gentle with yourself!
  • dmkoenig
    dmkoenig Posts: 299 Member
    Water jogging in deep water. I strained my Achilles a few months ago during my triathlon training. Was able to keep my running fitness up running in the water using a flotation belt.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    See a foot and ankle doctor!!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,457 Member
    Rest and recover FIRST. You DON'T want to try to exercise on your injured ankles without proper instruction from a pro. Once you're recovered, learn exercises from someone experienced in the field of rehab for them.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png