Steel Cut Oats = Glue?

Katiemarie4488
Katiemarie4488 Posts: 242 Member
How on EARTH do you make them, with out them tasting like GLUE?!?!?

Replies

• JSA17
    JSA17 Posts: 81 Member
    How on EARTH do you make them, with out them tasting like GLUE?!?!?

I'd like to know the answer to this same question. Lol.

Every time I make it it turns out like slop and I don't want to eat it.
  • mrsthompson86
    mrsthompson86 Posts: 9 Member
    BUMP!
  • krae070
    krae070 Posts: 13 Member
    I'm not sure if this makes a difference but I use the 100% whole grain great value oatmeal. I follow the directions on the package and when I'm ready to eat I use a teaspoon of brown sugar.
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    You're likely overcooking them with too much water.

I do mine in a mini crock pot; for 3 servings, 17 oz water plus 140g steel cut oats, on low for 2 1/2 hours. My son and I each use 15g brown sugar (well, he's closer to 20), while DH is closer to 30g.
  • MrsSwink
    MrsSwink Posts: 57 Member
    I make mine with dried fruit or add in frozen blue berries at the end. Also just alittle Maple Syrup goes along way.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    milk and butter with raisins and cinammon and some sort of sweetner. Add more liquid to the cooking too if you dont like em' thick.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    milk and butter with raisins and cinammon and some sort of sweetner. Add more liquid to the cooking too if you dont like em' thick.

oops or less if they are too goopy for you
  • shirleygirl910
    shirleygirl910 Posts: 503 Member
    Glue means you are not using enough water, or cooking them too long. I love steel cut rather than rolled oats.
  • kayaksara
    kayaksara Posts: 157 Member
    Maybe over cooking? I get the Red Mill organic steel cut oats and I make enough for the week and put them all in separate containers for each day. It is kind of thick but I don't mind a whole lot. I love mine with bananas! Usually if you add a fruit or something it helps with that stickiness.
  • luckynky
    luckynky Posts: 123 Member
    I've been eating them every morning for about a month and I never once saw any similarity with glue! They are somewhat crunchy, so that doesn't make me think of glue at all. I eat Simple Truth organic steel cut oats with 1 TBSP unsweetened coconut. I make them with 1 1/2 cups water, start to boil, at 1/4 cups steel cut oats. Cook for about 15 minutes on medium, add coconut, cook for additional 5-10 minutes on simmer/low. They come out crunchy and creamy.

Now if you were talking about quick oats, I could see the comparison with glue.
  • gwenshoe
    gwenshoe Posts: 11 Member
    I make them with a little unsweetened almond milk and a dab of peanut butter at the very end. Top with blueberries. Delish.
  • Katiemarie4488
    Katiemarie4488 Posts: 242 Member
    Thanks everyone!!!!! :bigsmile: :wink: :flowerforyou:
  • boxholder
    boxholder Posts: 2 Member
    Make them with MASSIVE amounts of water (like 4 cups water for each 1/4 cup oats). Then strain. For even less gluey texture, run water over them in the strainer, and simply microwave for 30 seconds to get them hot again. This produces marvelously chewy grains that absolutely will not stick to each other.
  • boxholder
    boxholder Posts: 2 Member
    Also, You can save the gluey strained out water as a thickener for soup. No waste and no need for cornstarch!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,489 Member
    First question I ask is why steel cut oats?" Nutritional value versus regular rolled oats is minimal.

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/rolled-vs-steel-cut-oats#health-benefits

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    Hopefully, in the 8 years since the question was asked the OP has either figured it out or moved on to a breakfast they do like! 😂