SOS.... rainy holiday weekend suggestions

tluisa311
tluisa311 Posts: 113 Member
edited May 2021 in Food and Nutrition
Normally, I would be out by the pool for Memorial Day weekend.........however, this year, the weather is having a tantrum. It will be 57-60 and rainy here in northern VA and my instinct will be to eat and watch movies for most of the day. Going to the gym will only take up a couple of hours each day, so I'll likely be couch ridden for the rest of the time.

Does anyone have suggestions for healthier foods that will trick my brain into thinking they're bad??? I know this sounds crazy, but my boredom will trigger me to want mac n cheese, pizza, chinese food, nachos, etc. If anyone has any tried and true recipes for healthier versions of comfort food please post a link!!

But only if you've tried them and liked them!! The only one on my list so far is Chaffles!!

Replies

• steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,215 Member
    I'm failing to understand how being at the pool would be drastically different...

Perhaps use this as an opportunity to work on your relationship with food. Personally, I prefer having a reasonable amount of regular "bad" or "comfort" food rather than try to do culinary gymnastics to find something that arbitrarily "better".
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    When you're looking for "healthier" versions of comfort food, there seem to be two approaches. You can go for nutrient-denser, but still relatively high calorie, options and hope you just manage to control your portions. Or you can go for larger portions of low calorie items. It really depends on personal preference. I've found that I'd personally rather have an excellent brownie or bowl of mac and cheese or whatever and control my portion than a "hacked" healthy version that doesn't really scratch my itch. It's really easy to make a giant tray of something like black bean brownies and wind up eating more calories than you would of if you'd just made regular "bad" brownies.

There's a fantasy that I had for years that I'd find the recipe that let me eat giant plates of nachos or a huge bowl of stir-fried noodles without it having any calorie impact. The reality is that for many calorie-dense foods, there is no trick that will allow you to eat huge portions that fit within reasonable calorie goals. There's no trick that is going to make your brain think that you sat on the couch all day watching movies and eating pizza that doesn't involve sitting on the couch all day and eating pizza. At some point, you'll have to tackle what it is that you WANT and whether it fits with the type of life that you want to have.

I had to tackle the source of the issue, which was slipping into that level of boredom where I wanted to sit on the couch eating nachos. Don't get me wrong: I'll still eat nachos. But I'll have a portion that fits into my goals and then get on with the rest of the stuff that I want to do that day.

It wasn't an overnight process for me. There were times when I still had to battle that urge to spend an afternoon eating an entire family size bag of Chex Mix and feeling like there HAD to be a way to get that same feeling . . . the issue wasn't that I hadn't found the right substitute for Chex Mix, the issue is that I couldn't be the size I wanted and be someone who regularly did that.

• glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,585 Member
    You might want to check out Hungry Girl. She has a lot of recipe swaps for comfort food. "Healthier", as always depending on the person, is debatable. :)
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,710 Member
    I understand, OP. Being in a bikini or swimsuit all day tends to make you think more about what and how much you're eating, in addition to all the activities you mentioned.

How about trying new workout videos on You Tube? I don't mean over do it and work out all weekend but staying home doesn't mean watching TV only. You can even find different types of yoga for meditation and stretching. That's what I do when I'm stuck home due to weather.

Last weekend that's what happened as we had some crazy wind and rain storms so I rearranged the furniture in my living / dining room and my master bedroom. Which then turns into a large cleaning and de-cluttering project. That was more of a workout than going to the gym!
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,215 Member
    steveko89 wrote: »
    I'm failing to understand how being at the pool would be drastically different...

Perhaps use this as an opportunity to work on your relationship with food. Personally, I prefer having a reasonable amount of regular "bad" or "comfort" food rather than try to do culinary gymnastics to find something that arbitrarily "better".

You can't see how a different environment could affect a person's eating habits???

At the pool, I'm in the heat, which makes me less hungry or makes me crave lighter foods like fruit. Also, I'm in the pool swimming or playing volley ball in the pool or even just socializing. None of which would encourage me to eat out of boredom.

When I'm stuck inside, living by myself, boredom creeps in and I am more likely to eat more. Also. the cold and rain cause cravings of comfort food.

By attempting to find healthier alternatives to the comfort food is my way of working on my relationship with food. I do allow myself to occasionally dip into the "bad" food, but I am trying to be proactive with a 3-day rainy weekend to limit the "bad" food as well as keeping myself occupied with something other than movies.

Hope that clarifies the difference...........

You didn't specify there would be social or activity differences in your original post; that does make a difference but that difference is very individual. Personally, any social environment is more high-risk of "bad" foods because I have to deal with other people's preferences and menus where I'll not have full control of the food available.

In my judgement, finding comfort or "bad" food swaps isn't necessarily addressing your food relationship, it's avoiding the cause(s).
  • tluisa311
    When you're looking for "healthier" versions of comfort food, there seem to be two approaches. You can go for nutrient-denser, but still relatively high calorie, options and hope you just manage to control your portions. Or you can go for larger portions of low calorie items. It really depends on personal preference. I've found that I'd personally rather have an excellent brownie or bowl of mac and cheese or whatever and control my portion than a "hacked" healthy version that doesn't really scratch my itch. It's really easy to make a giant tray of something like black bean brownies and wind up eating more calories than you would of if you'd just made regular "bad" brownies.

There's a fantasy that I had for years that I'd find the recipe that let me eat giant plates of nachos or a huge bowl of stir-fried noodles without it having any calorie impact. The reality is that for many calorie-dense foods, there is no trick that will allow you to eat huge portions that fit within reasonable calorie goals. There's no trick that is going to make your brain think that you sat on the couch all day watching movies and eating pizza that doesn't involve sitting on the couch all day and eating pizza. At some point, you'll have to tackle what it is that you WANT and whether it fits with the type of life that you want to have.

I had to tackle the source of the issue, which was slipping into that level of boredom where I wanted to sit on the couch eating nachos. Don't get me wrong: I'll still eat nachos. But I'll have a portion that fits into my goals and then get on with the rest of the stuff that I want to do that day.

It wasn't an overnight process for me. There were times when I still had to battle that urge to spend an afternoon eating an entire family size bag of Chex Mix and feeling like there HAD to be a way to get that same feeling . . . the issue wasn't that I hadn't found the right substitute for Chex Mix, the issue is that I couldn't be the size I wanted and be someone who regularly did that.

Part of the reason that I'm looking for recipes is because it will give me something to do other than watch movies for 3 days. I live alone and don't have many friends in the area, so I spend a lot of time with my dog. Normally I would be outside with him during free time on a long holiday weekend, but bc the weather will be so terrible, we're stuck inside and at a loss for things to do. Cooking will occupy me and keep me off the couch for a bit.
  • tluisa311
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    I understand, OP. Being in a bikini or swimsuit all day tends to make you think more about what and how much you're eating, in addition to all the activities you mentioned.

How about trying new workout videos on You Tube? I don't mean over do it and work out all weekend but staying home doesn't mean watching TV only. You can even find different types of yoga for meditation and stretching. That's what I do when I'm stuck home due to weather.

Last weekend that's what happened as we had some crazy wind and rain storms so I rearranged the furniture in my living / dining room and my master bedroom. Which then turns into a large cleaning and de-cluttering project. That was more of a workout than going to the gym!

That's not a bad idea! Less the rearranging but more the de-cluttering and organizing. I could definitely use some of that time to also go through and get rid of some things........ at times I can be a pack rat lol
  • goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    Is it safe for you to host/attend a small gathering, like a movie/game night? (i.e., are you and your friends fully vaccinated and do local COVID restrictions permit indoor gatherings)?

If you can't have anyone over or go anywhere else, could you proactively plan to indulge for one day of this three-day weekend instead of worrying about resisting the siren call of pizza all three days? I like the suggestion to deep-clean the house or rearrange furniture, that is a good workout and a good way to fill time and your house is probably due to have its baseboards scrubbed anyway. Then, after you spend two days working hard on that, you get to hang out in a sparkling-clean house watching your favorite guilty-pleasure movie and enjoying a well-earned slice of pizza with your favorite toppings (or a bowl of your favorite Chinese food, or whatever you decide to treat yo'self with). Weigh out your portion when it arrives at your house, and immediately pack up the rest. Now you have lunch or dinner sorted for a couple of days next week, an immaculate house, and a calorie deficit. That's a win-win-win, baybee!

I do this with pizza all the time; my husband and I will split a medium pizza, usually on a Thursday or Friday night. I'll take my budgeted portion for dinner and then immediately transfer the rest of my half of the pizza into a tupperware and put it in the fridge. It's out of sight and largely out of mind, and I have breakfast/lunch for sometime over the weekend. I know that a quarter of the pizza we always get is about 450 cal (so half is about 900 cal), and sometimes--like tonight--I actually do have the calories to eat my entire half. Sometimes I do. Sometimes I get through 2 of my allotted 4 slices and decide I don't actually want the rest of the pizza right now, but it sure will go down smooth for breakfast on Saturday morning, so into the fridge those other 2 slices go.
  • tluisa311
    edited May 2021
    You didn't specify there would be social or activity differences in your original post; that does make a difference but that difference is very individual. Personally, any social environment is more high-risk of "bad" foods because I have to deal with other people's preferences and menus where I'll not have full control of the food available.

In my judgement, finding comfort or "bad" food swaps isn't necessarily addressing your food relationship, it's avoiding the cause(s). [/quote]

Sorry, let me clarify the situation... so I live in an apartment complex that offers an on-site pool. When I go, there's no restaurant, or anything like that. I just bring a small cooler with ice, water and light snacks like fruit and veggies that won't sit heavy in the heat. The other residents that show up will typically have a game of pool volley ball going on and we all kind of just socialize while we're there, so it eliminates the boredom that would typically drive me to snack/eat more than normal. @steveko89
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,965 Member
    I'll just go for the original question, though not to disagree with others. I can't give you exact recipes: That's not how I cook, so it's general guidelines.

I like mac'n'cheese made with a higher-protein pasta (I like the texture of Barilla red lentil pasta, comes in various shapes). To that, I add some chevre for creaminess, maybe some nonfat Greek yogurt, and usually a moderate amount of something with a stronger flavor, such as real grated parmesan. Adding veggies is an option, if you aren't a purist. Some onions, slow caramelized on the stovetop in a cast iron pan with a small amount of oil, add some nice flavor; throw in some minced garlic cloves close to the end if you like (they brown super quickly, too quickly really).

I like a heaped up open-face "pizza sandwich", made with an Ezekiel tortilla as the base. Top that with a light layer of real parmesan and quick-melt that (microwave works) to seal it so it doesn't sog up. Top with thick tomato paste, minced garlic, herbs (like basil, oregano, a little pulverized fennel seed), then layer on lots of fresh mushrooms, sweet peppers, thin-sliced onions, generally any veggies you like. Up top, a little something melty, like fresh mozz, or a little more parm, or somesuch. Feta's good, too. Bake it until done/browned/melty.

For Asian-style, I might just do a giant veggie stir fry. (I'm vegetarian, but if you're not, some calorie efficent meat or seafood in there is fine, too.) I'd either do a miso-based sauce, or do a combo of chile paste, peanut butter (or almond butter) powder, and add rice wine vinegar to sensible consistency. The skinny edamame fettucine or black bean spaghetti is a chewy pasta that's good in this for more protein and bulk. Cook the pasta and have it ready before quick stir-frying the veggies, then mix the whole thing together.

For nachos, I've found I'm good for routine eating with a modest portion, i.e., one serving of the chips in a single layer. I like Beanitos brand chips, especially the black bean ones. I top with no-fat refried beans, thin-sliced or chopped onions, chopped fresh tomatoes, etc. If I have the calories, a little sweet corn is good, too. For this purpose, a reduced fat "Mexican" shredded cheese mix works OK for me on top. Oven bake until melty, serve with salsa, avocado or guac if I have the calories, and a blop of nonfat plain Greek yogurt. It could go on top of a bed of shredded lettuce salad, if you like. (I keep individual guac servings in my freezer to use for this and similar things. A short pass through the microwave to thaw, then use.)

I can't say whether these seem adequate or comfort-food-y enough for you. I still go for full-bore versions of all of the above on indulge-y occasions, but find the above variations enjoyable and calorie-manageable as more routine meals. YMMV.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,965 Member
    Afterthought: Maybe I'm biased by really liking the stuff, but I think mashed Winter squash is good in mac'n'cheese. It's got that orange color, a moderate amount isn't overpowering, there are good micros/fiber, etc. I personally like that with some fresh sage leaves chopped and added, but that may be too non-standard. Part-skim ricotta is another ingredient to consider. If you're baking the mac'n'cheese, mixing in an egg with some of the softer ingredients (squash, yogurt, etc.) will make it set up better.
  • tluisa311
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I'll just go for the original question, though not to disagree with others. I can't give you exact recipes: That's not how I cook, so it's general guidelines.

I like mac'n'cheese made with a higher-protein pasta (I like the texture of Barilla red lentil pasta, comes in various shapes). To that, I add some chevre for creaminess, maybe some nonfat Greek yogurt, and usually a moderate amount of something with a stronger flavor, such as real grated parmesan. Adding veggies is an option, if you aren't a purist. Some onions, slow caramelized on the stovetop in a cast iron pan with a small amount of oil, add some nice flavor; throw in some minced garlic cloves close to the end if you like (they brown super quickly, too quickly really).

I like a heaped up open-face "pizza sandwich", made with an Ezekiel tortilla as the base. Top that with a light layer of real parmesan and quick-melt that (microwave works) to seal it so it doesn't sog up. Top with thick tomato paste, minced garlic, herbs (like basil, oregano, a little pulverized fennel seed), then layer on lots of fresh mushrooms, sweet peppers, thin-sliced onions, generally any veggies you like. Up top, a little something melty, like fresh mozz, or a little more parm, or somesuch. Feta's good, too. Bake it until done/browned/melty.

For Asian-style, I might just do a giant veggie stir fry. (I'm vegetarian, but if you're not, some calorie efficent meat or seafood in there is fine, too.) I'd either do a miso-based sauce, or do a combo of chile paste, peanut butter (or almond butter) powder, and add rice wine vinegar to sensible consistency. The skinny edamame fettucine or black bean spaghetti is a chewy pasta that's good in this for more protein and bulk. Cook the pasta and have it ready before quick stir-frying the veggies, then mix the whole thing together.

For nachos, I've found I'm good for routine eating with a modest portion, i.e., one serving of the chips in a single layer. I like Beanitos brand chips, especially the black bean ones. I top with no-fat refried beans, thin-sliced or chopped onions, chopped fresh tomatoes, etc. If I have the calories, a little sweet corn is good, too. For this purpose, a reduced fat "Mexican" shredded cheese mix works OK for me on top. Oven bake until melty, serve with salsa, avocado or guac if I have the calories, and a blop of nonfat plain Greek yogurt. It could go on top of a bed of shredded lettuce salad, if you like. (I keep individual guac servings in my freezer to use for this and similar things. A short pass through the microwave to thaw, then use.)

I can't say whether these seem adequate or comfort-food-y enough for you. I still go for full-bore versions of all of the above on indulge-y occasions, but find the above variations enjoyable and calorie-manageable as more routine meals. YMMV.

These sound great!! I'm going to update my shopping list with your suggestions this morning and head to the grocery store after work!
    These sound fun and making them will keep me from becoming a permanent indent in the couch throughout this crappy weather-weekend!

Thank you so much!
  • tluisa311
    Afterthought: Maybe I'm biased by really liking the stuff, but I think mashed Winter squash is good in mac'n'cheese. It's got that orange color, a moderate amount isn't overpowering, there are good micros/fiber, etc. I personally like that with some fresh sage leaves chopped and added, but that may be too non-standard. Part-skim ricotta is another ingredient to consider. If you're baking the mac'n'cheese, mixing in an egg with some of the softer ingredients (squash, yogurt, etc.) will make it set up better.

I never would've thought of that...... I LOVE winter squash and sage, so that's a great idea.

Thanks for the tips! Mac n cheese is always my first go-to when craving comfort food so it's nice to have an alternative version that doesn't come in a blue box or isn't 1,000 per bowl lol
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    My approach to proactive boredom eating avoidance has been to change my definition of "comfort food".

Instead of the starchy, cheesy things you list, I began making soup on long weekends alone, and now that's what I crave!

My fave is what I call "neverending vegetable soup". I start on Friday night with an onion and lots of garlic and some heavy green like kale or collards in the crockpot. Saturday morning I add a can of tomatoes, and perhaps some celery and carrots. I'll eat on that all day Saturday with no guilt whatsoever--and all the fiber and water makes me feel cozily full. Saturday night, I'll add more greens and another can of tomatoes, and maybe another onion if nt needs it, and it's on low for a second night. Sunday I might jazz up the pot with some chili powder or curry, and maybe mix up the veggie add ins depending on what I've got on hand (eggplant? squash? okra?).

This got me through many lonely weeks of the COVID lockdown as well :-)
  • tluisa311
    My approach to proactive boredom eating avoidance has been to change my definition of "comfort food".

Instead of the starchy, cheesy things you list, I began making soup on long weekends alone, and now that's what I crave!

My fave is what I call "neverending vegetable soup". I start on Friday night with an onion and lots of garlic and some heavy green like kale or collards in the crockpot. Saturday morning I add a can of tomatoes, and perhaps some celery and carrots. I'll eat on that all day Saturday with no guilt whatsoever--and all the fiber and water makes me feel cozily full. Saturday night, I'll add more greens and another can of tomatoes, and maybe another onion if nt needs it, and it's on low for a second night. Sunday I might jazz up the pot with some chili powder or curry, and maybe mix up the veggie add ins depending on what I've got on hand (eggplant? squash? okra?).

This got me through many lonely weeks of the COVID lockdown as well :-)

That's a great idea too! The process alone would keep me busy and soup is a great cold-rainy-day food. And soup is great to experiment with because you keep tasting it as you go along.
    I'm so glad I asked for suggestions because now I'm excited to be cooking some new recipes and the things I make will be healthier than fast food.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,886 Member

I never would've thought of that...... I LOVE winter squash and sage, so that's a great idea.

Thanks for the tips! Mac n cheese is always my first go-to when craving comfort food so it's nice to have an alternative version that doesn't come in a blue box or isn't 1,000 per bowl lol

Here's a mac'n'cheese recipe that uses cauliflower to reduce calories. I love it! However, I still have to be mindful of portions. I have it with a big salad, which is also what I do with foods like pizza. You may wish to make a half recipe.

https://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/cauliflower-mac-and-cheese-recipe/
  • LisaGetsMoving
    LisaGetsMoving Posts: 664 Member
    Here are a couple things to do besides watching TV when the weather is yuck:

teach your dog yoga or some dance moves
    jigsaw puzzles
    making soup, or cooking more involved recipes, or experimental foods
    cleaning and organizing cupboards, closets, and the fridge
    painting rocks
    learn to crochet
    reading books and magazines, journaling
    photography, set up miniature scenes and use small action figures, or dress your dog and make a meme
    workout videos
    take a Masterclass on a subject you're interested in
    apply a masque style facial, do your nails
    baking and decorating a cake or cupcakes that you will donate to a good cause
    soap carving, if you're good you can give them away as gifts. or sculpting clay works too.
    board games or cards if you can find a couple players.
    sewing or mending, or refashioning old clothes into something new
    go for a walk in the rain, go for many walks in the rain
    string art
    reach out to others who might be bored
    plan for the mac n cheese if that's what you really want, but be mindful of portion size, you aren't going to undo a weeks worth of effort with one meal or even one day of non ideal consumption.

Life is precious. This world is amazing. Try not to be bored.

• tluisa311
    @LisaGetsMoving You had me at "teach your dog yoga or some dance moves" Lol............