Biofeedback testing and autoregulation

I’ve been reading stuff by David Dellanave about biofeedback testing to autoregulate your lifting.

The idea is that you do a range of motion test like touching your toes before starting an exercise (to set a baseline). If you do a set and your ROM improves it’s a green light to continue and you continue to lift until your ROM deteriorates past your baseline.

It’s an intriguing idea. I’m not sure how scientifically valid it is but I imagine it could be a psychological cue at least as much as a physical cue.

Does anyone use these techniques? Does anyone have an opinion on them?

It’s covered in his Off the Floor book and a few blog posts.

Replies

• SnifterPug
    SnifterPug Posts: 746 Member
    I've seen that sort of thing described as a measure of how effective a stretching session is. I don't really get how a ROM test is going to help any aspect of lifting. If you touched your toes before doing, say, a squat, how does the exercise and the ROM test dovetail?
  • davew0000
    davew0000 Posts: 125 Member
    Yes, it feels a little like witchcraft but I could easily imagine it’s a way to ask your body/psyche how on form you are.

Here’s a post. He never quite gives as much detail as I’d like. He never gives any suggestion of why it might work or exactly how to use it to set intensity for your session.

https://barbend.com/biofeedback-testing/
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited June 2021
    Doesn't sound very useful compared to RPE, RIR, or VBT type of auto regulation in the least.

A greater ROM doesnt necessarily equate a better readiness to perform a specific lift, intensity, or volume.
  • davew0000
    davew0000 Posts: 125 Member
    Thanks Chief. I was aware of RPE but hadn’t heard of VBT bed. Interesting stuff (though my current objective is learning the moves, so perhaps one for the future).
  • wiigelec
    wiigelec Posts: 503 Member
    If you’re looking for more long-term biofeedback check this out:

https://medium.com/@altini_marco/the-ultimate-guide-to-heart-rate-variability-hrv-part-1-70a0a392fff4
  • cupcakesandproteinshakes
    cupcakesandproteinshakes Posts: 1,092 Member
    davew0000 wrote: »
    Thanks Chief. I was aware of RPE but hadn’t heard of VBT bed. Interesting stuff (though my current objective is learning the moves, so perhaps one for the future).

RPE is good for all levels of experience including beginners. Worth taking the time to learn. Look at rippedbody.com or barbell medicine.com. RPE is a useful concept that will support you over a long (hopefully) lifting career.