How many calories should I be eating

averboos123
averboos123 Posts: 2 Member
It says I should eat 1200 calories a day in order to lose 2 lbs a week. Does anyone know if this is top aggressive a goal? Or is 1200 realistic and won't leave me starving?

Replies

• Beverly2Hansen
    Beverly2Hansen Posts: 378 Member
    I couldn't do 1200 calories consistently and I was not reliable at logging my exercises meaning I thought I burned more than I did IMO. Eventually I set my goal to 1720 manually and committed myself to walking at least 10,000 steps not just moving around but specifically for fitness. I have 16lbs to lose and often eat closer to 1500. I'm seeing consistent progress and I'm not starving or exhausted 24/7. Everyone is different but a lot of people choose a less aggressive goal. Also seeing only 1200calories made me continuously afraid of not getting enough to eat. All I could think about is what if I don't exercise enough to eat reasonably and then I have to starve for today. It was stressful and I knew for me it was no way to live.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    If you have over 50 lbs to lose and your body isn't dealing with other health stress - 2 lbs weekly could be reasonable.

How much do you need to lose to reach a healthy weight?
  • westrich20940
    westrich20940 Posts: 873 Member
    Use a TDEE calculator just to see what your TDEE is (it will be based on your age, sex, weight, height, body fat % (if you know that), and general activity level.

That's what you could theoretically eat and stay the same weight.

I find that lots of people choose 2lbs/week on MFP to lose and I honestly just think it's usually too aggressive of a goal for them to stick to and they eat too few calories and it doesn't work out for them. If you have a lot to lose, that might be fine....but if you have like >50lbs to lose it might not be.
  • SilverJem77
    SilverJem77 Posts: 46 Member
    Hi!! When I (re)started in January, I was at 215 (my heaviest ever) and would like to lose 70-75 pounds to get back to 140-145. So far I've lost 31.6 pounds, but obviously have more to go.

I set my MFP goal to lose 1 pound a week (1400 calories/day) because I was unsure I could do 1200 calories a day for the long haul. However, my personal, unwritten goal was/is to lose 2 pounds a week until I get my BMI under 30.0. I've been very successful in staying at 1200 calories/day (the range for losing 2 pounds/week) *knowing* I can have more if I want or need, especially if I eat some of my exercise calories back.

I set my goal lower so it was more achievable, with the mindset I could be more aggressive if I chose. For me, having that buffer has been really helpful during that TOM, when I dine out or during holidays involving food because I'm often able to stay within reach of my lowest goal of 1 pound/week at the very least. Anything more than that is just a bonus to me.

Good luck to you my friend! We've got this!
  • DonnaToland20
    DonnaToland20 Posts: 5 Member
    It says I should eat 1200 calories a day in order to lose 2 lbs a week. Does anyone know if this is top aggressive a goal? Or is 1200 realistic and won't leave me starving?

Mine says 1.200 cals a day to lose 1lbs a week. I'm 5ft1 7st3 and I'm 35
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member

That's because you're already so slender. If you put in goals that are too aggressive, you'll get a low calorie goal as a result.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,547 Member
    edited June 2021

https://www.smartbmicalculator.com/result.html?unit=1&hf=5&hi=1&wl=101&us=1&ua=35&ue=0&gl=

You're currently at a BMI of 19.1 and your goal is to lose 1lb a week? Standard weight recommendations would view your goal setting as unusual. Have you discussed your goals with your primary health provider?
  • Rimtimtim
    Rimtimtim Posts: 21 Member
    edited June 2021
    You're either very short, don't have much to lose, or you are very sedentary. Or a combination of all three. I would change my goal to lose 0,5 lbs a week and add some more exercise.

I'm 5'1", and not very active. When I put in that I wanted to go down 2 lbs a week it gave me 1200 as well (which is as low as it goes), went for a less aggressive goal and got around 1500 calories.