Calorie deficit

Hi everyone ! I’m trying to get into using MFP and have some questions …

Iv been looking into things a lot but there is so much information out there

1. How are you suppose to stay in a calorie deficit if most advise is for a man to never go below 2,000 calories
2. I am currently 19 stone and would like to get to a healthier weight and build some muscle so should I be in a calorie deficit or should I be in a calorie surplus to put on muscle ?

Any advise would be greatly appreciated !

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    If a man is active enough or weighs enough that he shouldn't go below 2,000, then he will be in a deficit with a goal above 2,000. SOME men can go below 2,000 -- but often a man won't have to in order to meet his goals.

For example, if you use 2,500 a day to maintain your current weight then you'll be in a deficit if you eat less than that. That man would have a deficit of 250 calories a day eating 2,250.

If you enter your goals and current stats into MFP, it will recommend a deficit based on that.

If you want to lose weight and gain muscle, generally it's going to be best to combine a moderate deficit where you're getting enough protein with a fitness program that contains resistance exercise. Once you lose some weight, you can always implement a surplus to add muscle, but you'll probably want to focus on losing the extra fat before you put on more weight.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Hi everyone ! I’m trying to get into using MFP and have some questions …

Iv been looking into things a lot but there is so much information out there

1. How are you suppose to stay in a calorie deficit if most advise is for a man to never go below 2,000 calories
    2. I am currently 19 stone and would like to get to a healthier weight and build some muscle so should I be in a calorie deficit or should I be in a calorie surplus to put on muscle ?

Any advise would be greatly appreciated !

Most men, even if they aren't particularly active will maintain weight on 2500+ calories per day. I try to be as active as I can, but I have a desk job and sit for a good chunk of the day...but I also like to go out and play in my free time...not a particularly big workerouter, but I maintain on about 3,000 calories per day...and I'd generally consider myself to be moderately active at this point, nothing particularly crazy.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Most men would be in a deficit at 2000, at your weight you would be in a considerable deficit.
    2500 is sometimes stated as average maintenance allowance for the mythical average man - but Sean you are far from average sized.

I'm an average height retired old fart at 12 stone and it's unusual for me to need less than 3,000+cals for weight maintenance. But I'm active and exercise a lot.

Health should be your number one priority and although you haven't given any details about yourself apart from your weight (you could be 5ft or 7ft tall for example...) if you are fat (sorry!) you want to be losing that excess weight. Only go to a surplus if you feel 19 stone isn't heavy enough for you.

Complete your goal setup and pick sustainable and appropriate rate of weight loss and you will be given a personalised calorie goal to which you add exercise calories. Be careful about comparing MyFitnessPal to other sources as they account for exercise differently.

As for exercise, yes do it, now. It's a myth that you need a surplus to build some muscle and quite frankly whether you do manage that or not you should start training now.