Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Fitness and diet myths that just won't go away

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,454 Member
    "I''m not losing, I seem to be gaining..."

"Well, you know, muscle weighs more than fat, so..."

Grrrrrr.......a pound of muscle weighs as much as a pound of fat, it just takes up less space!
    Well technically it is if measured if the volume is equal. However most people that say that really have no idea how hard it is to actually gain muscle.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,958 Member
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    That fast food and junk food is toxic and poison to the body. :D

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Seriously. If it were toxic and poison, wouldn't we die shortly after consuming?
  • J72FIT
    "I''m not losing, I seem to be gaining..."

"Well, you know, muscle weighs more than fat, so..."

Grrrrrr.......a pound of muscle weighs as much as a pound of fat, it just takes up less space!
    Well technically it is if measured if the volume is equal. However most people that say that really have no idea how hard it is to actually gain muscle.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Same people who are afraid of getting "bulky"...
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,454 Member
    Cardio is for fat burning....................................won't help at all if you're not in a deficit.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • J72FIT
    Cardio is for fat burning....................................won't help at all if you're not in a deficit.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Correct. Cardio does in fact burn calories, but, unless you remain in a deficit you will not burn fat. How anyone could "disagree" with this is beyond me...
  • naomi9271
    naomi9271 Posts: 127 Member
    LOL when the point you really want to argue about is 5 pages back, and you’re like “dang, you’re just lucky I wasn’t here in March!!”....this is really interesting reading and thank you to everyone for helping make it!!!
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,926 Member
    J72FIT wrote: »
    That fast food and junk food is toxic and poison to the body. :D

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Seriously. If it were toxic and poison, wouldn't we die shortly after consuming?

well, not immediatly - but "fast food is fast track to the grave" , apparently. :*

(This is a myth, not something I am stating or agree with)

• naomi9271
    naomi9271 Posts: 127 Member
    Like snakes, LOL. The next diet advice will be to swallow Whole Foods whole....
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    There already is a 'snake diet' out there - I won't post a link to it, but you can google it... basic concept is that snakes only eat every 2-3 days so we should also... just nope!
  • MaggieGirl135
    MaggieGirl135 Posts: 975 Member
    Thought of this thread while standing in line at the grocery store yesterday...one of those thin, newspaper-like magazines had a headline that read, “lose 45 pounds in 10 days”. I would only need another two, maybe three, days to meet my goal! I guess I should’ve bought it!
  • penguinmama87
    penguinmama87 Posts: 1,158 Member
    slightly different but

The idea that EVERYONE needs to be low/lower sodium for health.

No.

My husband and his high BP need to be lower sodium. Me? I went low sodium with him for a week then fainted. Turns out me salting everything is self-medicating. My normal BP (and it is normal for me/not dangerous, I have seen a doctor) is low.

And I should just eat the salt.

(Fun corollary: Spouse thought for ages he didn't eat much sodium because he didn't *ADD* salt - and grumped and grumbled that it wasn't fair he was the one with high pb where I was dousing my food in salt. Turns out he's wrong. He was eating a metric ton of sodium in things like canned soup and deli-meat and tv dinners. Surprise, darling.)

I have a relative who has literally glared at me for using salt when I cook because it's "so unhealthy." I too have low blood pressure and always have. We don't eat a lot of the kind of things that come with a lot of sodium either, so I'm not particularly alarmed for my husband or kids. But you'd think I was dumping it on to kill them on purpose.

I do probably lean towards the "clean eating" side of the spectrum for various reasons, at least as an 80/20 deal, but salt is normal. Good. Societies have risen and fallen over salt. A lot of our words use the Latin "sal" - salad, salary, etc. It also makes food delicious. :yum:
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    edited June 2021
    The concept that is usually stated oversimplified - carbs is your primary fuel. (neither in amount of calories burned for avg daily activity, nor in majority of time, nor in used first)

Side confusion then follows - you have to use up carbs first to start using fat. (ratio used as mostly fat from resting state to mainly carbs when anaerobic)

Or other side confusion - Keto will cause you to be fat-adapted and start using fat first and ketones usually thrown in there somewhere. (already burn fat mainly no adapting required, brain using about 10-15% of daily calories as carbs and can go to ketones though, but ketones not produced fast enough for intense exercise)
  • lks2gab
    lks2gab Posts: 45 Member
    Fat weighs more than muscle! A pound is a pound. The volume that it takes up in your body is the difference.