The Sober Squad- Alcohol Free Living

Replies

• stephanne13
    stephanne13 Posts: 212 Member
    A lot of people have good results with melatonin. I am not one of those people. It gives me such bad nightmares, that I always think "no wonder babies wake up screaming throughout the night" because their bodies produce so much if it.
    However, everyone reacts differently, so I would absolutely give it a try.
  • RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,157 Member
    edited June 2021
    Hi Jen! I used a half of Gravol- Lorraine on this thread told me about it. It's like dramamine but it's from Canada I think.
    What about a white noise machine? My sister swears by it . I bought a fan recently that when it's on very low, it has a calming effect plus it cools the room.

I think sleep cycles come and go. I will go for days with excellent sleep and then horrible sleep for a few days; I typically wake at 4;00 a.m. Sometimes, I listen to a meditation then to fall back asleep.

Hormones probably at the root of all this.Grrr.
  • lorrainequiche59
    lorrainequiche59 Posts: 900 Member
    JenT304 wrote: »
    I laid awake last night tossing and turning worrying about all kinds of things. I longed for a glass or 3 of wine to quiet my brain and sand the edges of life off. There is none in the house so luckily that was not an option. I resent the fact that even without alcohol, I am still experiencing poor sleep. I get no more than 4, maybe 5 hours a night. I know this is not good for my brain. I listened to a sleep meditation on youtube, I've tried baths and sleepy time tea. Does anyone have any luck with melatonin? I do not want anything addictive.....I don't need to trade one addiction for another. Any ideas will be appreciated.

Jen, Have you considered having a sleep study? They may be able to provide some valuable feedback to help you get the proper rest. It's worth a try.
  • lorrainequiche59
  • lorrainequiche59
    mtngrl3 wrote: »
    93 DAYS!!

Congrats! <3 Great progress!! You'll never regret those 93 days and those to follow sans alcohol. :D

• RubyRed427
    mtngrl3 wrote: »
    93 DAYS!!

93 Days is amazing! So happy for you!
  • RubyRed427
    @donimfp Thinking of you. Perhaps daily journaling and goal setting could work- maybe you do that. I find that if I write a to do list in the morning, I get the jobs done.
    You could write:
    1. I will be sober.
    2. I will read one sober article.
    3. I will watch one sober youtube.

Something like that- maybe view it as getting educated about sobriety may inspire you to get back to your streak. I also love reading about different sober celebrities like Rob Lowe, Bradley Cooper, etc. Tik Tok also has great sober tik toks that inspire.
  • RubyRed427
    One more thing... accountability helps. Even if on this thread, we feel accountable to each other. I know I think of many of you when I feel tempted. That helps me so much.
    Remember Whitney used to post each day "another day AF in Vegas". (something like that)
  • donimfp
    donimfp Posts: 795 Member
    @RubyRed427, thank you for your thoughts! I believe up above you may have thought my quoting Beka was "me" talking, but that's ok. She and I do share the "need to get back to sobriety" struggle!

I also often think of Whitpauly saying "Another 24 in Vegas" (or whatever it actually was). It took me the longest time to stop wondering why someone getting sober would constantly be going to Vegas before it clicked that she lived there. Doh!

I do appreciate the sentiment that every day is "Day 1" in some sense. However, my Day 100 "Day 1" was not the struggle that my chronological Day 1 "Day 1" is! It's so important for me to build up some momentum rather than going 5 days sober and then 20 days (or more) drinking. Ruby, I'm so glad you didn't get that wine!!!! Drinking on January 6 was the absolute worst decision I've ever made. Well . . . maybe not quite. I've made some doozies.

And FooFoo (Sorry, no time to scroll up and remember how to type your upnrunnin name), I am also SO glad you got right back to it. 90 days is freaking amazing!

Love to all.
  • RubyRed427
    donimfp wrote: »
    @RubyRed427, thank you for your thoughts! I believe up above you may have thought my quoting Beka was "me" talking, but that's ok. She and I do share the "need to get back to sobriety" struggle!

I also often think of Whitpauly saying "Another 24 in Vegas" (or whatever it actually was). It took me the longest time to stop wondering why someone getting sober would constantly be going to Vegas before it clicked that she lived there. Doh!

I do appreciate the sentiment that every day is "Day 1" in some sense. However, my Day 100 "Day 1" was not the struggle that my chronological Day 1 "Day 1" is! It's so important for me to build up some momentum rather than going 5 days sober and then 20 days (or more) drinking. Ruby, I'm so glad you didn't get that wine!!!! Drinking on January 6 was the absolute worst decision I've ever made. Well . . . maybe not quite. I've made some doozies.

And FooFoo (Sorry, no time to scroll up and remember how to type your upnrunnin name), I am also SO glad you got right back to it. 90 days is freaking amazing!

Love to all.

oops Doni! You're right:) I was probably thinking of Beka. So true about momentum.