Weight loss is too slow for a obese guy like me

I'm 94 kg and 174 cm. I only lost 4 kg in one month. But I thought the more fat people have the faster the weight goes in the first month..is it because I already have lost weight last year (and gained it back:/)?

Replies

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,388 Member
    Mate, 4kg in a month IS fast! And to be honest, you're not that heavy; barely in the obese range. Yes, I know you want to lose the weight yesterday, but weight loss isn't fast and you're at a perfect pace here.
  • strangeanimal55
    strangeanimal55 Posts: 87 Member
    It really depends on your deficit. It seems like morbidly obese people can lose faster because let's say they're maintaining that high weight with 4000 calories a day. Dropping to 1500/day is a much larger deficit than dropping from day 2000 to 1500.

That's really where that idea comes from so just because you have a lot to lose doesn't mean you will lose faster. It depends where your maintenance started and how big your deficit is.
  • sultank101
    sultank101 Posts: 87 Member
    It really depends on your deficit. It seems like morbidly obese people can lose faster because let's say they're maintaining that high weight with 4000 calories a day. Dropping to 1500/day is a much larger deficit than dropping from day 2000 to 1500.

That's really where that idea comes from so just because you have a lot to lose doesn't mean you will lose faster. It depends where your maintenance started and how big your deficit is.

Well I lost 17 kg last year but gained it all back..rn I'm eating 1860 calories which is around 500 less from my maintenance I hope. I don't even know exactly if my maintenance is 2300. I'm just following My fitness pal
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    sultank101 wrote: »

Well I lost 17 kg last year but gained it all back..rn I'm eating 1860 calories which is around 500 less from my maintenance I hope. I don't even know exactly if my maintenance is 2300. I'm just following My fitness pal

A deficit of 500 calories a day means that your goal rate of loss would be 1 pound a week.
  • strangeanimal55
    strangeanimal55 Posts: 87 Member

Then you're doing an amazing job. Any TDEE or maintenance calculator is a best guess so it's hard to know your exact maintenance anyway.

I lost 23 lbs last year and gained 15 back so I get the sentiment that losing that weight again does seem harder though I'm not sure why.

But 4kg in a month sounds like you're right on track if not doing even better than expected.
  • wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    Sit back, kick back and relax. The difference, by the time you are at your goal weight, between maintaining and losing more will be 3 apples or 1 candy bar of calories. That's it. It will also take less to maintain less weight, so it won't even be 250 extra calories above what you're eating now.

So kind of look at this as a lifestyle change thing wherein your body reflects those changes gradually and overtime, rather than a purely weightloss thing where the only objective is 'get to weight'.

Otherwise you're going to hit the desired weight and, yeah, gain it back when you're disillusioned that you don't get to 'go back to how you ate before' or don't get the payoff of lots more food OR the dopamine hit of the scale dropping.

• wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    Also I started at obese (190 at 5'5") and I think the most I ever lost was month one and it was only 7lbs. Most of the time it was 5lbs a month. At the end it was 2. It's just a thing. You have to be WELL into obesity to get super fast lost and 207 at 5'7", while obese, isn't into the category where you're going to see 5kg or more a month.
  • saramelie77
    saramelie77 Posts: 50 Member
    edited June 2021
    I started at 243, 5'5 woman, and 26 days later I'm at 227. So it's a lost of 7.2 kilos. My deficit is intense (1500+ per day). I'm bigger than you and shorter, my deficit is high, yet I lost "only" 3 kilos more than you. It's all about perspective. If I still lose 4 kilos/month when I'm down to 206, I'll be very very happy!! I'd say you are well on your way 🙂
  • LisaGetsMoving
    LisaGetsMoving Posts: 664 Member
    I'm 94 kg and 174 cm. I only lost 4 kg in one month. But I thought the more fat people have the faster the weight goes in the first month..is it because I already have lost weight last year (and gained it back:/)?

Yeah, no. That only happens for TV, or on radical plans which nearly guarantee a rebound.

The loss will be slow, but there is plenty of time, and by the time you get to where you want to be you might be in good enough mindset, healthy habits and routines, that maintenance is a breeze.
  • FattyBigBottom
    FattyBigBottom Posts: 5 Member
    I think you are doing great already so congratulations but if you do want a more rapid loss you could follow the app for 5 days and do a 500 calorie fast 2 days a week... as per the 5:2 diet.. unless there is a medical reason not to do it of course. It will be hard at first but you do get used to it - worth googling Michael Mosley who is the Dr who advocates it.