What footwear should I buy for walking.

JaczB
JaczB Posts: 10 Member
Hi, so been out of the excise loop for along time. I want to start walking 9000 steps a day to start, but currently wearing canvas trainers from Primark very cheap version of converse. I'm in the UK.

Would be pavement walking.

I'm thinking I should get trainers but there's so many now what do you suggest.?

Replies

• GummiMundi
    GummiMundi Posts: 396 Member
    First of all, if you're not used to walking long distances yet, I'd suggest you start with a more conservative goal, like 5000 steps a day. If or when you end up feeling such a number is easy, then gradually build it up to a higher goal. There's no point on going from 0 to 100 too fast, or you'll risk fatigue or injury, and that will set you back.

As far as shoes go, canvas trainers like you described are not great for walking (at least for my feet they're not!). I don't know if you have Decathlon stores nearby (or a similar chain), but I'd start there. You don't need to spend a fortune on trainers, as long as they are comfortable and give you proper support you'll be fine. My walks are all on pavement too, and I have been using their basic walking shoes. You can always try other brands for comparison, of course.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    I love Sketchers with memory foam support. I buy as lightweight as possible and can walk for hours. They are comfortable and give support. I buy their sandals too. I've found that they are the best for my needs, and now my husband is a fan.

However, everyone is different. You'll have to try on different brands yourself. Good luck and have fun walking.
  • thisvickyruns
    thisvickyruns Posts: 193 Member
    JaczB wrote: »
    Hi, so been out of the excise loop for along time. I want to start walking 9000 steps a day to start, but currently wearing canvas trainers from Primark very cheap version of converse. I'm in the UK.

Would be pavement walking.

I'm thinking I should get trainers but there's so many now what do you suggest.?

I wear sketchers for walking. Try an outlet if you don't want to pay full price, as they can be quite expensive. Worth it though IMO.
  • littlegreenparrot1
    littlegreenparrot1 Posts: 694 Member
    Try Decathlon, or Sports direct for more affordable ones. You want some trainers that will give you some support.

There is usually some indication on the display as to what the trainers are best suited for, but it's always worth asking a member of staff for some help if you need it.

Also be aware that socks make a difference, I'm always better off with thicker ones with more cushioning but of course it's very individual.
  • mrvivinwales
    mrvivinwales Posts: 36 Member
    I wear sketchers for walking! At the moment I am doing a minimum of 5000 steps a day, and I find them great I bought mine from sports direct for about £45
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,329 Member
    The most important thing is: the shoes need to fit you! Thus don’t order online but go to a store if possible. Also, try not to het shoes that just about fit as feet tend to get a bit bigger the later in the day.
  • JaczB
    edited June 2021
    Great thanks everyone.

@GummiMundi thank you for the extra advice on steps. I will try and stick to the 5000 steps and workup from there. I was seeing that the diary has 10,000 steps on it and was hard not to try and reach that but take on your comment so thanks.

We have a sports direct local but decathlon is a drive away. So I will take walk to local and see what's there.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    I might never wear another shoe than New Balance 840v4. I have peroneal tendonitis, these shoes help it.

Don't order online, try many shots on your feet and walk around the store a bit in all of them.
  • hhjs2021
    hhjs2021 Posts: 14 Member
    Be careful of Sketchers, I have a shop job so stood up a lot and got some for sore feet, but i ended up with plantar faciitis, i've heard it happen to others to. It took over a year to heal 🙈 I think they were just too flat. I have Merrel walking shoes and like to walk in those, probably heavier then they need to be but I already had them
  • JaczB
    So I went to sports direct and tried on new balance they are comfy. Think they will be the ones I buy once I have got a grip of this walking again. Will try other places as well to get a cheaper pair to begin with.