Eels and Squid

MsCzar
MsCzar Posts: 1,039 Member
Guess who went to the Asian fish market this morning? Expanding my food horizons. Dare I ask if anyone here has any good recipes? Oh, and for anybody currently experiencing a cicada invasion. The bugs offer 7g of protein per 28g.

Jus' sayin'! 😋

Replies

• SuzanneC1l9zz
    SuzanneC1l9zz Posts: 451 Member
    That's really cool! I have no recipes, but both are delicious so enjoy!
  • MsCzar
    I've eaten squid before, but never eels.
  • chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    edited June 2021
    Are they baby eels? There's a tapas place near me that serves something like this, it's pretty tasty: https://www.bascofinefoods.com/spanish-recipes/saute-baby-eels-bilbao-style/

ETA: Asian fish market, so probably the big eels, huh. I got all excited remembering that tapas dish. I think I've usually had eel in some black bean sauce stir-fry. Something like this: https://www.food.com/recipe/stir-fried-eel-with-black-bean-187066

I think you could also just cook it up with a bunch of lemon and herbs, like you would with regular fish.

As for squid, I don't make that, but I braise an octopus at least once a year. This is my go-to braise. Maybe add a little more time for the squid since it's tougher, but just simmer it for a few hours then grill it up. https://www.finecooking.com/recipe/charred-octopus
  • MsCzar
    edited June 2021
    Are they baby eels? There's a tapas place near me that serves something like this, it's pretty tasty: https://www.bascofinefoods.com/spanish-recipes/saute-baby-eels-bilbao-style/

Yes, I they are baby eels (about 15cm.) I figured I'd start small. 😋
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,553 Member
    I've only had smoked eel which is a delicacy in the Netherlands and Denmark. Smoked eel is utterly delicious. Google calamari a la plancha for my favourite grilled squid dish. Calamari battered and deep fried with a squeeze of lemon is delicious too, but less diet friendly.
  • WilliamMarshall1219
    WilliamMarshall1219 Posts: 4 Member
    Squid and black pudding is one of my favourite foods! Not pretending it's the healthiest, but it is proper lush!
  • MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    Eel nigiri? Can't speak to the squid or cicada options 😉
  • MsCzar
    edited June 2021
    Nah - threw them in the freezer for an hour or more, removed the wings and did the traditional wok fry in veg oil with a few drops of chili oil. Salted them and ate them like crispy crunchy snack food while they were still warm. But I could see the unusual fare in a salad. Much healthier than bread croutons! ;)
  • moonangel12
    moonangel12 Posts: 971 Member
    I have seen chocolate covered cicadas offered, but haven’t actually tried any myself. My kiddos have had a blast playing with them, and my chickens are in bird heaven! We have a couple baggies in the freezer for bait later in the year… we went fishing last weekend when they were at peak and the fish were loving it as well! We live just a few minutes from the Potomac and it’s the dividing line from what I understand. Crazy active where we live, but 30 minutes north there are none!

I want to try smoked eel one day!!
  • MsCzar

Did you really? Eat them?

Yes I did. Pretty darned tasty.

• acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,553 Member
    Before going on vacation to Cambodia a few years ago, I thought I needed to get over any aversion to eat insects. There was an authentic Mexican near me in London that garnished their guacamole with optional fried grasshoppers, so I ordered that. The deep fried grasshoppers tasted like peanuts actually.

When we were actually in Cambodia there was only one occasion when the restaurant menu included tree ants, tarantulas and crickets. I ordered the chicken.
  • MsCzar
    I've always imagined tarantula would taste a bit like a small crustacean. I might be tempted to try it if I could ever get over the visual. I've eaten snake and alligator - both of which do taste a bit like chicken. :)
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    RE: Cicadas....
    The FDA issued a warning that if you are allergic to shellfish, you should not try cicadas. They have similar proteins to crustaceans, so it can cause a reaction.

Imma just gonna pretend I'm allergic to shellfish....
  • IngMarie1inSpain
    IngMarie1inSpain Posts: 7 Member
    pinterest has some good squid recipes, also you can look for stuffed squid, i have used spicy sausage .
    Eel ,i love smoked eel,not the little thin ones but the ones that are about 100cm long and ca,5cm diameter.