Calorie burn from Strength?

I2k4
I2k4 Posts: 179 Member
New to the Android app as of June 1, entering diet is going pretty well. (Moderate weight loss and fitness goals.) The app nicely calculates and deducts calories for Cardio workouts I do, but does not seem to include or even allow a custom entry for calories from Strength workouts - blue N/A for that.

I'd be interested if someone can suggest a good way to make the app log calories for Strength workouts: thinking of improvising a custom entry for "Cardiovascular" exercise using the right calorie burn info. I'd then be interested in a dependable outside source for calculating calorie burn from weights, resistance bands, etc. workouts. Thanks.

Replies

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,950 Member
    There's already an exercise in the cardiovascular database for Strength training (weight lifting, weight training).
  • I2k4
    Thank you, found it. Nice to get a quick reply. It seems a bit light on the calories per workout time compared with another source, so will research that a bit.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    I2k4 wrote: »
    Thank you, found it. Nice to get a quick reply. It seems a bit light on the calories per workout time compared with another source, so will research that a bit.

Traditional strength training really doesn't burn that many calories.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,718 Member

That entry would be about as close as you're going to get to a valid estimate for standard rep/set weight lifting (or similar) training with rests between sets. Use the whole workout time (including the between-set normal rests, obviously not any extra-long breaks if you take such breaks). Strength training is not a big calorie burner. Heart-rate based estimates are likely to be OVERestimates.

If you're doing fast-paced high-rep lower-resistance strength training, you can consider using the "circuit training" entry instead. If you're doing bodyweight exercises at a relatively high pace, consider the "calisthenics" entries.

• I2k4
    Thanks both above. I can see some of the readymade cardio calculators can put me quickly in the ball park depending what I do. I tend to mix pace and reps up among DBs, bands and bodyweight / calisthenics so it will be an estimate no matter how it's done. (There are also rowing entries, which helps.)
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,718 Member
    edited June 2021
    Thanks both above. I can see some of the readymade cardio calculators can put me quickly in the ball park depending what I do. I tend to mix pace and reps up among DBs, bands and bodyweight / calisthenics so it will be an estimate no matter how it's done. (There are also rowing entries, which helps.)

The MFP rowing entries are Not Good, IME - subjective intensity can be very misleading. If you're rowing a Concept 2, use its calorie estimate and do the weight adjustment on the Concept 2 web site**. I suspect that's gross calories, so ideally one would subtract at least RMR for the time period, but personally I don't worry too much about that. Unless you have a lucky coincidence where the weird MFP estimates work for you, the Concept 2 is one case where the machine estimate is likely to be non-terrible.

**https://www.concept2.com/indoor-rowers/training/calculators/calorie-calculator
  • I2k4
    edited June 2021
    Thanks, My rower predates Concept 2, et al but I will Google up comparable models to try to see if the readymade calculators seem too far off. (I set it to harder than water equivalence and go shorter duration.)

Off topic, but if there's a setting to delete the box about adding step counters I'd like to do that - not in my plans. I see lots of Cardio walking calcs and carrying shopping bags back from the market is more of a "farmer's carry".