My doctor said my liver enzymes slightly high. What exactly does that mean?

Tuesday I went to the doctor because I've been having issues with my hands. Number, pain and cramping. My thumb goes inward . The past months I've literally feel weak. I try drinking an energy drink just to get me a boost but nothing. I do take multivitamin and also b12. That doesn't help me. I even try the thrive product that has all the vitamins which still doesn't help me. I can sleep and sleep and still feel week. I'm having a hard time at work because of it.

Replies

• nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    edited June 2021
    You should ask your doctor.
  • saramelie77
    saramelie77 Posts: 50 Member
    I have elevated liver enzymes, and not one of those symptoms. I doubt it's related. I would also be looking at this from a neurologic point of view. Go back to the md, or ask for a new one. You deserve answers/testing!!
  • wi1234567890
    wi1234567890 Posts: 57 Member
    I don’t know about your liver enzymes but your other symptoms with your hands are similar to mine when I had a calcium deficiency.
  • PKM0515
    PKM0515 Posts: 2,937 Member
    edited June 2021
    Definitely pursue this (tiredness, numbness, etc.) with your doctor and keep us up-to-date. Hope you get some answers soon!

P.S. When you went to the doctor on Tuesday about your hands, did you tell him how weak and tired you've been feeling? (Also, ask him to explain the elevated liver enzymes.)
  • Beautyofdreams
    Beautyofdreams Posts: 1,009 Member
    Get back to the doctor and have some further tests run. When I became diabetic at 26, I started sleeping more and more until I was sleeping when I wasn't working. I had no other symptoms. Went to the doctor, and a blood test confirmed that I was diabetic.
    Hope you find an answer soon. Take care.
  • SnifterPug
    SnifterPug Posts: 746 Member
    Adding my voice to the chorus of people asking you to raise this with your doctor.

On the subject of raised liver enzymes - it is worth knowing that strength training can raise some levels.

https://www.scirp.org/journal/paperinformation.aspx?paperid=82862
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,457 Member
    There are so many different things that could be at play. From Cirrosous to just too much caffeine consumption. Consult with your doctor to find out.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • watts6151
    watts6151 Posts: 887 Member
    Personally I’ve never seen a lifters livers valves in range unless they have taken at least a week off the gym, definitely go back to your doctor and have them explain what is elevated. Personally I’d ask for a full blood work up as a start
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    If your doctor said your liver enzymes are high, you need to ask them what that means and if it’s of concern. I don’t think it’s uncommon for someone to have elevated liver enzymes but not of great concern as a one time reading. Your doctor might follow the trend over time, then decide whether additional testing or treatment is needed.
  • christophercoronado
    christophercoronado Posts: 30 Member
    Did you ask your doctor?

Unfortunately not yet , I missed the call on Friday but tried calling back. Tomorrow I should know and definitely will share it with you
  • christophercoronado
    hipari wrote: »
    Talk to your doctor about this. If they refuse to explain, find a different healthcare provider if possible.

Since we are on a calorie counting website, I just want to make sure: are you eating enough? All the energy drinks and vitamins in the world can’t replace good old-fashioned calories. With that amount of exhaustion and weakness, amp it up and eat at maintenance until the situation clears up. Just mentioning this in case you’re actively trying to lose weight currently.

Still, talk to your doctor.

Honestly, You might be very right because I don't eat in the mornings because I just don't have an appetite. Lunch I usually grab something on the go which common sense is bad diet. Dinner can be something as simple as a snack .
  • christophercoronado
    VegjoyP wrote: »
    You may want to consider a rheumatologist. It can be any number of things and a rheumatologist would likely have much more knowledge with these types of symptoms. Plus they are able to provide lab tests and key questions to help diagnose. I had symptoms for years and years. I went to a doctor who said I had indications for autoimmune and Lupus, my rheumatologist confirmed and also has been able to help with a multitude of things most doctors do not know about.

I will definitely keep that in mind because how I describe how I'm feeling does effect the way I work and also because of it I haven't worked out .