Myfitnesspal

Message Boards General Health, Fitness and Diet
You are currently viewing the message boards in:

IF and women

amberfay85amberfay85 Member Posts: 11 Member Member Posts: 11 Member
Hey y’all,

Ive been considering intermittent fasting, but after some research I am seeing that it’s possible less effective for women than men. I’m wondering if there are any women here who have used IF and have had great results with it? How was your energy? How did you feel overall day to day? Did you drop pounds/inches? Did you have any side effects with monthly cycle?

I’d also be interested in hearing from anyone who used IF after being diagnosed with insulin resistance and how it may have affected that.

Thanks for reading.
Amber 🙂
«134

Replies

  • L1zardQueenL1zardQueen Member Posts: 8,756 Member Member Posts: 8,756 Member
    I do a sort of an IF, eat/stop/eat, no lunch. It helps with keeping my calories in my daily goal. Don’t believe the hype.
  • Megan_smartiepants1970Megan_smartiepants1970 Member, Premium Posts: 23,657 Member Member, Premium Posts: 23,657 Member
    I do 16:8 IF daily ...I have tons of energy ....I just got back to my walks last week (recovered from my 2nd hernia surgery) so the scale isn't cooperating at the moment
  • titchy_michelletitchy_michelle Member Posts: 51 Member Member Posts: 51 Member
    huskymom85 wrote: »
    Hey y’all,

    Ive been considering intermittent fasting, but after some research I am seeing that it’s possible less effective for women than men. I’m wondering if there are any women here who have used IF and have had great results with it? How was your energy? How did you feel overall day to day? Did you drop pounds/inches? Did you have any side effects with monthly cycle?

    I’d also be interested in hearing from anyone who used IF after being diagnosed with insulin resistance and how it may have affected that.

    Thanks for reading.
    Amber 🙂

    I have been IF but dirty fasting since March 16th and I’ve lost 19lb. The first day was easy but after that for the first 2 weeks it was hard I had bad headaches and my stomach sounded like it was screaming for food but it got easier

  • kshama2001kshama2001 Member Posts: 24,770 Member Member Posts: 24,770 Member
    huskymom85 wrote: »
    Hey y’all,

    Ive been considering intermittent fasting, but after some research I am seeing that it’s possible less effective for women than men. I’m wondering if there are any women here who have used IF and have had great results with it? How was your energy? How did you feel overall day to day? Did you drop pounds/inches? Did you have any side effects with monthly cycle?

    I’d also be interested in hearing from anyone who used IF after being diagnosed with insulin resistance and how it may have affected that.

    Thanks for reading.
    Amber 🙂

    Did you have a link to this research you can share?
  • amberfay85amberfay85 Member Posts: 11 Member Member Posts: 11 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    huskymom85 wrote: »
    Hey y’all,

    Ive been considering intermittent fasting, but after some research I am seeing that it’s possible less effective for women than men. I’m wondering if there are any women here who have used IF and have had great results with it? How was your energy? How did you feel overall day to day? Did you drop pounds/inches? Did you have any side effects with monthly cycle?

    I’d also be interested in hearing from anyone who used IF after being diagnosed with insulin resistance and how it may have affected that.

    Thanks for reading.
    Amber 🙂

    Did you have a link to this research you can share?

    https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/intermittent-fasting-guide#who-shouldnt

  • amberfay85amberfay85 Member Posts: 11 Member Member Posts: 11 Member
    I’m not exactly sure how reliable of a source “healthline” is...but I’m a busy lady who doesn’t have a ton of time to sit and browse the internet for hours on end reading everything there is to read on a subject so I just kinda believed what it said 🤷🏼‍♀️ Maybe it’s way off
  • penguinmama87penguinmama87 Member, Premium Posts: 900 Member Member, Premium Posts: 900 Member
    I did it for a bit between two of my kids, after I was done breastfeeding. It "worked" in that I lost weight, but as soon as I got pregnant and it wasn't safe for me to do anymore, I gained all the lost weight back and then some. I wasn't calorie counting at all then.

    I'm back down to that weight now, while still breastfeeding a baby and eating three meals a day plus usually one snack. After she weans, I might skip breakfast, but just to help me maintain a calorie deficit. I have more weight to lose and I realized I honestly don't care that much if I eat breakfast or not, but I will for the sake of my health and baby's health if that's what's best for us at the time.

    I like something I can adapt to any state of my life, though, and IF isn't that, which might be part of what makes it not super great for women.
  • kshama2001kshama2001 Member Posts: 24,770 Member Member Posts: 24,770 Member
    huskymom85 wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    huskymom85 wrote: »
    Hey y’all,

    Ive been considering intermittent fasting, but after some research I am seeing that it’s possible less effective for women than men. I’m wondering if there are any women here who have used IF and have had great results with it? How was your energy? How did you feel overall day to day? Did you drop pounds/inches? Did you have any side effects with monthly cycle?

    I’d also be interested in hearing from anyone who used IF after being diagnosed with insulin resistance and how it may have affected that.

    Thanks for reading.
    Amber 🙂

    Did you have a link to this research you can share?

    https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/intermittent-fasting-guide#who-shouldnt

    Here's the relevant part:
    Should Women Fast?

    There is some evidence that intermittent fasting may not be as beneficial for women as it is for men.

    For example, one study showed that it improved insulin sensitivity in men, but worsened blood sugar control in women (33).

    Though human studies on this topic are unavailable, studies in rats have found that intermittent fasting can make female rats emaciated, masculinized, infertile and cause them to miss cycles (34, 35).

    There are a number of anecdotal reports of women whose menstrual period stopped when they started doing IF and went back to normal when they resumed their previous eating pattern.

    For these reasons, women should be careful with intermittent fasting.

    We non-scientists can safely classify rat studies as "way too preliminary for us to care about." :)

    For the anecdotical reports, most likely what happened here is that these women cut their calories too drastically and that is why they lost their periods.

    Re "one study showed that it improved insulin sensitivity in men, but worsened blood sugar control in women" - the study here was for Alternate Day Fasting. What type were you planning on doing?
  • kshama2001kshama2001 Member Posts: 24,770 Member Member Posts: 24,770 Member
    huskymom85 wrote: »

    What type were you planning on doing?

    What I see most here currently is something like 16:8. (Previously I saw 5:2 more.)

    This says "It’s generally recommended that women only fast 14–15 hours because they seem to do better with slightly shorter fasts" which is certainly a legit form of IF.
  • yirarayirara Member Posts: 6,698 Member Member Posts: 6,698 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    huskymom85 wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    huskymom85 wrote: »
    Hey y’all,

    Ive been considering intermittent fasting, but after some research I am seeing that it’s possible less effective for women than men. I’m wondering if there are any women here who have used IF and have had great results with it? How was your energy? How did you feel overall day to day? Did you drop pounds/inches? Did you have any side effects with monthly cycle?

    I’d also be interested in hearing from anyone who used IF after being diagnosed with insulin resistance and how it may have affected that.

    Thanks for reading.
    Amber 🙂

    Did you have a link to this research you can share?

    https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/intermittent-fasting-guide#who-shouldnt

    Here's the relevant part:
    Should Women Fast?

    There is some evidence that intermittent fasting may not be as beneficial for women as it is for men.

    For example, one study showed that it improved insulin sensitivity in men, but worsened blood sugar control in women (33).

    Though human studies on this topic are unavailable, studies in rats have found that intermittent fasting can make female rats emaciated, masculinized, infertile and cause them to miss cycles (34, 35).

    There are a number of anecdotal reports of women whose menstrual period stopped when they started doing IF and went back to normal when they resumed their previous eating pattern.

    For these reasons, women should be careful with intermittent fasting.

    We non-scientists can safely classify rat studies as "way too preliminary for us to care about." :)

    For the anecdotical reports, most likely what happened here is that these women cut their calories too drastically and that is why they lost their periods.

    Re "one study showed that it improved insulin sensitivity in men, but worsened blood sugar control in women" - the study here was for Alternate Day Fasting. What type were you planning on doing?

    I worked in the Middle East for a few years. One of my friends was an endocrinologist there. He said he'd advise women not to fast during Ramadan as he made similar observations overall, but of course that was not socially acceptable. But there's indeed no proper research on this. Thus who knows. cause and effect is not always that clear.
    edited June 7
  • natasor1natasor1 Member Posts: 245 Member Member Posts: 245 Member
    I m doing IF long before it was invented. I was geting up at 5am, going to work and eating only when all work was done b/c at work I could not have any breakes for food. So it was only 5pm. then dinner was at 7-8 pm. This was my schedule for many years, say for 25 years. I was always scared bc all health professionals dictated us to eat breakfast as soon as we wake up and this is only healthy life style. They predicted me early heart attac and stroke. But time brought correctives in that theory. I m now 67 y/o, feel very well, my heart works like eccellent motor, I have no weight issue. Actually, I have no issues at all. I keep the same regiment at my retirement. Breakfast at 12-1pm, and one dinner at 6pm. Once a week I do fasting 1, 2 or 3 days. Mostly 1 day. So from that prospective the IF is very advantageouse for everybody : man and woman.
    It may be interesting, but the fasting skill can be trained, like training muscles. If start from shorter periods to advance to longer. Everybody can do it. If you remember the human history was all the time about food shortage. Not everybody not everyday could have breakfast, lunch and dinner. It is only a modern time fenomen. The human beens was alive and passed thru all obstacles. W e are actually doing better in state of shortage of food. The headach, feeling week and stomach growlings are only a blood glucose game of your brain and cells mytohondia inoficiency. They used to have high blood glucose for such a long time, that even small drop of that level creates a chaos in the metabolic balance, so they send your brain a signal to eat.
  • kshama2001kshama2001 Member Posts: 24,770 Member Member Posts: 24,770 Member
    yirara wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    huskymom85 wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    huskymom85 wrote: »
    Hey y’all,

    Ive been considering intermittent fasting, but after some research I am seeing that it’s possible less effective for women than men. I’m wondering if there are any women here who have used IF and have had great results with it? How was your energy? How did you feel overall day to day? Did you drop pounds/inches? Did you have any side effects with monthly cycle?

    I’d also be interested in hearing from anyone who used IF after being diagnosed with insulin resistance and how it may have affected that.

    Thanks for reading.
    Amber 🙂

    Did you have a link to this research you can share?

    https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/intermittent-fasting-guide#who-shouldnt

    Here's the relevant part:
    Should Women Fast?

    There is some evidence that intermittent fasting may not be as beneficial for women as it is for men.

    For example, one study showed that it improved insulin sensitivity in men, but worsened blood sugar control in women (33).

    Though human studies on this topic are unavailable, studies in rats have found that intermittent fasting can make female rats emaciated, masculinized, infertile and cause them to miss cycles (34, 35).

    There are a number of anecdotal reports of women whose menstrual period stopped when they started doing IF and went back to normal when they resumed their previous eating pattern.

    For these reasons, women should be careful with intermittent fasting.

    We non-scientists can safely classify rat studies as "way too preliminary for us to care about." :)

    For the anecdotical reports, most likely what happened here is that these women cut their calories too drastically and that is why they lost their periods.

    Re "one study showed that it improved insulin sensitivity in men, but worsened blood sugar control in women" - the study here was for Alternate Day Fasting. What type were you planning on doing?

    I worked in the Middle East for a few years. One of my friends was an endocrinologist there. He said he'd advise women not to fast during Ramadan as he made similar observations overall, but of course that was not socially acceptable. But there's indeed no proper research on this. Thus who knows. cause and effect is not always that clear.

    This made me curious as to exactly how long the hours of Ramadan fasting are and the answer for 2021 is that it depended on where you live and is easier the further south you are.

    https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2021/4/7/ramadan-2021-fasting-hours-around-the-world

    INTERACTIVE-Ramadan2021-fasting-hours.png

    ...In extreme northernmost cities such as Longyearbyen, Norway, where the sun does not set from April 20 to August 22, religious rulings, or fatwas, have been issued to follow timings in Mecca, Saudi Arabia, or the nearest Muslim country.

    INTERACTIVE-Ramadan2021-cycle.png?w=770&resize=770%2C770
  • goal06082021goal06082021 Member Posts: 1,623 Member Member Posts: 1,623 Member
    @kshama2001 that's fascinating!

    I'm skeptical of Healthline as a source in general, it looks and feels content-farmy. But OP, you could just...try IF and see how you feel, pretty sure your uterus won't explode if you go more than 4 hours without eating or anything like that. 16:8 (16 hours of fasting (which includes 8 hours of sleeping, tbf), 8-hour eating window) seems to be the most popular, seems like not too much of an adjustment for someone currently observing the most common Western eating patterns (3 meals a day, morning/noon/night).
  • andielynandielyn Member Posts: 232 Member Member Posts: 232 Member
    I am a female intermittent faster. I didn't read the article, but IF is plenty safe for women. I generally do 16:8 but sometimes my fasts are 15 hours and sometimes 19 hours, I listen to my body and fast accordingly. IF is not appropriate for kids and teens since they are still growing (male and female) and not appropriate for pregnant or breastfeeding females for the same reason (growing a baby.)
  • PeachesanddinosaurPeachesanddinosaur Member Posts: 13 Member Member Posts: 13 Member
    I'm female and I do omad. I feel great and I lose a few pounds a week. I'm also breastfeeding, but I eat a healthy diet and constantly monitor my milk supply.

    Fasting works by creating a caloric deficit, it's just easier for me to eat it all at once and move on with my day.
Sign In or Register to comment.