Feeling burnt out

How do you all cope when your feeling burnt out with 0 motivation ? I had a really bad day yesterday and had to force myself to workout and today I had to push the last 10 minutes of my workout I’m just so tired and ready to give up

Replies

• OnceAndFutureAthlete
    OnceAndFutureAthlete Posts: 192 Member
    And I just saw your other thread about your new (smaller) wardrobe.
    That's a great success. So when you feel burnt out, remember that, and credit yourself for how you achieved it.
    (I know you know this, just giving you a reminder.)
  • chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    Is your workout plan sustainable? Do you have enough recovery time built in? Are you fueling yourself enough for it? Are you getting enough sleep? I have days where I don't feel like going to the gym, but if I'm struggling to finish a workout, it means I'm not fueled enough or not recovered enough to be doing that particular thing. Listen to your body and adjust as needed.

Consistency is really important, but the gym shouldn't feel like punishment either. Sometimes you need to opt for a gentle walk instead of a hard run. And sometimes you just need to sit on the couch with a bowl of ice cream. Those things are ok if you're putting in the work the vast majority of the time.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    I take a day or two off. Exercise is for fun and enjoyment of life, if it stops providing those things there isn't much reason to do it. After a day or two the cravings for exercise (more accurately, for the fun involved) start coming back.
  • titchy_michelle
    titchy_michelle Posts: 51 Member
    And I just saw your other thread about your new (smaller) wardrobe.
    That's a great success. So when you feel burnt out, remember that, and credit yourself for how you achieved it.
    (I know you know this, just giving you a reminder.)

Thank you so much this is exactly what I needed to hear right now you totally right. I’m still pushing through in the hope I will get back on track because I think if I take a day off I’ll end up it starting back up again plus for a short while after it does make me feel a little better. Again thank you 😊
  • titchy_michelle
    Is your workout plan sustainable? Do you have enough recovery time built in? Are you fueling yourself enough for it? Are you getting enough sleep? I have days where I don't feel like going to the gym, but if I'm struggling to finish a workout, it means I'm not fueled enough or not recovered enough to be doing that particular thing. Listen to your body and adjust as needed.

Consistency is really important, but the gym shouldn't feel like punishment either. Sometimes you need to opt for a gentle walk instead of a hard run. And sometimes you just need to sit on the couch with a bowl of ice cream. Those things are ok if you're putting in the work the vast majority of the time.

I’m just working out at home but I was pushing myself too hard and injured my wrist so I modified my workouts plus I’m doing IF aswell as calorie counting and trying to get my steps in maybe I need to cut one of these things out. I have been loving it especially seeing the weight come off and my old clothes fitting but it has felt like too much effort the past 2 days but I’m scared if I rest I’ll completely give up on it all like I have in the past
  • wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    If I am burned out on physical activity/exercise, it usually means I don't like it enough to be sustainable. That's not flattering about me, but if I am not actively having fun, I am not going to do it. So when I don't wanna do the thing, I start looking for a way to make it fun again or to find something that serves a similar function health wise that IS fun.

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,935 Member

I’m just working out at home but I was pushing myself too hard and injured my wrist so I modified my workouts plus I’m doing IF aswell as calorie counting and trying to get my steps in maybe I need to cut one of these things out. I have been loving it especially seeing the weight come off and my old clothes fitting but it has felt like too much effort the past 2 days but I’m scared if I rest I’ll completely give up on it all like I have in the past

For weight loss, workouts are optional (though they're good for health and appearance, and let one eat more while losing at the same sensible rate), IF is optional (though a good thing if it helps someone stick to their calorie goal), calorie *counting* is optional (but calorie management, *somehow*, is not), and steps are optional (though have similar benefits to other exercise).

So, sure, if your current routine is exhausting or difficult, try changing something, to make it more manageable.

Losing any meaningful amount of weight is going to be a long term proposition, weeks to months. The easier the process is for an individual, the more likely is success.

After weight loss, for those of us (like me) with an inclination toward maintaining an unhealthfully high weight, weight management needs to be a permanent part of life. The more natural and sustainable the needed habits are, the more likely that maintenance will be successful. One thing that worked out really well for me was using some of the weight loss process as a time to experiment and find those sustainable habits. (I'm now in year 5+ of maintenance). YMMV.

Bottom line: Part of not giving up is finding those sustainable methods, IMO.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,393 Member
    I have been loving it especially seeing the weight come off and my old clothes fitting but it has felt like too much effort the past 2 days but I’m scared if I rest I’ll completely give up on it all like I have in the past

I think those are the magic words. What are you doing now that’s same as in the past? Change up the changes that led you to quit last time(s).

Judging from another thread, and what you’ve said here, I suspect you’re humping it in a hurry to reach an arbitrary finish line.

I get it. We’ve all started out that way, full of hope and eagerness. But the ones who didn’t modify are mostly gone from here after the first month.

Slow it down some. Allow yourself some more calories. Find exercise you truly love doing. Enjoy the process. Learn as you go along.

It doesn’t matter if the end of the rainbow is in six weeks, six months, or a couple years. Once you find that end, you still need to have developed the habits that will allow you to continue mining for gold.
  • titchy_michelle
    I have been loving it especially seeing the weight come off and my old clothes fitting but it has felt like too much effort the past 2 days but I’m scared if I rest I’ll completely give up on it all like I have in the past

I think those are the magic words. What are you doing now that’s same as in the past? Change up the changes that led you to quit last time(s).

Judging from another thread, and what you’ve said here, I suspect you’re humping it in a hurry to reach an arbitrary finish line.

I get it. We’ve all started out that way, full of hope and eagerness. But the ones who didn’t modify are mostly gone from here after the first month.

Slow it down some. Allow yourself some more calories. Find exercise you truly love doing. Enjoy the process. Learn as you go along.

It doesn’t matter if the end of the rainbow is in six weeks, six months, or a couple years. Once you find that end, you still need to have developed the habits that will allow you to continue mining for gold.

I lost 10lb in the first 4 weeks doing mild workouts and eating healthy building up to better workouts I have bipolar and working out as hard as I do is great for my mental health it keeps me motivated and keeps my moods under control I slowed right down for a few days and now I’m back on track I’ve lost 2 stone in 3 months so I’m aiming for the final stone in the next 6 weeks
  • thisvickyruns
    thisvickyruns Posts: 193 Member

I lost 10lb in the first 4 weeks doing mild workouts and eating healthy building up to better workouts I have bipolar and working out as hard as I do is great for my mental health it keeps me motivated and keeps my moods under control I slowed right down for a few days and now I’m back on track I’ve lost 2 stone in 3 months so I’m aiming for the final stone in the next 6 weeks

given your stats, that's a really fast rate of loss, which is why you're feeling it now... its just not sustainable.
  • KevHex
    KevHex Posts: 256 Member
    Why not change your goal to 0.5lbs a week and lost the last 14lbs over the next 28 weeks? It will help with the burn out and you will reach goal. This is better than the wheels falling off and you regaining the weight you have lost (which has happened to me in the past, that is why I mention it).
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,932 Member
    Yeah, expecting that rate of loss to continue is just not sustainable and as you are noticing will lead to lack of stamina and desire to keep moving.

Eat at a higher calorie level and you'll be more able to keep up with. . . life, moods, and exercise.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,393 Member

I understand how addictive the fast loss is. But the closer you are to goal, the slower and more frustrating it will be. I lost tens pounds or more a month the first five or six months. Then I thought I had plateaued because ten didn’t come off the seventh month. “Only” a couple. I’m sure I made a couple of po’po’’pitiful me posts until folks were kind enough to explain reality to me. Yes, it’s frustrating!!!!!

Thank god I listened to stories and advice here or I would have thrown in the towel, thinking I had “failed”.

It took another six months to lose the next 25, and a year to lose the next 15. I do not begrudge the time now.

Stop a moment and think how far you have come. already, and be grateful. Your body is talking to you and begging you to slow down. “Listen to your body”.

They tell us that repeatedly in yoga. Yeah yeah yeah lip service. Let’s get in with our nice sweaty calorie burning, *kitten* tightening practice.

Until I ne day an instructor asked us to thank our bodies.

That was a revelation for me.

My body has been through thick and thin, fat and slim, pain, aggressive exercising, emotional exhaustion and yet, it’s always there as a vessel for my mind. It doesn’t complain or nag like my brain does, seldom breaks down without sending warning signals, it just reliably does what I need it to do. And I ignore it as something that’s there to do my bidding when and where I want it to.

Sit or lay down, close your eyes, and listen to your body. Where is it loose, where is it tense, what is it telling you? And then thank it from the bottom of your heart for all it does, and the good health it is hopefully providing to you. As corny as it sounds, I pat my heart and hug my body.

Don’t jeopardize your body by beating it into submission.

I’m the poster child for that and it catches up with you, whether it’s exhaustion, hair falling out, muscle loss (I actually had that when I dropped too low, even though I was weight training regularly). I haven’t listened to mine in a few days, brain thinking it knew better than loudly protesting joints. Today I am, and I’m taking a day off from everything but some gentle walks.

It’s not a race, and there’s no winners, especially if you reach the finish line with a compromised body.

• titchy_michelle
    Scallyboo wrote: »
    I am REALLY struggling today. Chronic fatigue, light headed and whoozy stomach.
    I'm on 15k steps a day and 1900 cals. I usually easily reach these steps as I have 6 dogs and am in the woods literally every day with them. I eat well (try to hit my macros as best I can) and stay hydrated. I got a vibe this week that something wasn't right. I had to stop and walk, twice, in my run last night.
    Usually on a Friday I leave work, head up the woods, bring dogs home and then go do grocery shopping. Sort out the kids and wash school uniforms etc and am ready to collapse in bed at 9pm and that's on a good day.
    Today, there is no way I can do the grocery shopping and in the last half hour I have accepted that I wont make the woods either.
    Turns out I ran out of meds three days ago and just keep forgetting to pick them up, so I think I am in full on withdrawal mode. Meds are for RA and depression/anxiety.
    So even though its all TOTALLY my fault, I am going to listen to my body and go home and chill.
    I hope you feel better soon. x

Thank you I’ve started getting back on track hope you get your meds sorted there’s nothing worse than running out when they’re what are keeping your moods under control it was because of quetiapine I was on 2 years ago why I put so much weight on. An added problem I’m having at the minute is the dr suspected I was going through menopause early and found out today I am and started hrt so it’s no wonder I was feeling burnt out I’m really hoping these help x