Tell me your unique and fun workouts/exercises/calorie burning activities

Looking for something I actually LIKE to do to burn some calories that I will stick with! Walking and Yoga are so far my favs. HATE the gym and biking.

Have been thinking of investing in a stand up paddle board or kayak but thought I would see what you all do that is both fun and active :)

If it changes anything I am in Seattle, so I have about 5 months out of the year where outdoor workouts are comfortable.

TIA!
- Ariane

Replies

• tluisa311
    tluisa311 Posts: 113 Member
    Martial arts! There are SO many different forms to choose from. People typically associate martial arts with aggression and heavy strikes, but many of them focus on forms, pressure points, and an overall healthy mindset. I've taken a handful of different forms, just for a little variety and seeing what I like best, but I find that they all put a priority on emotional, mental and physical health. Also, I find that most of the people have a very "family" like mentality. They are very supportive and friendly, and quick to bring you in as part of the family.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    PS - kayaking is fun on Lake Union and Washington. You can rent a kayak from a few places on the lake and see whether you enjoy it before investing in one. Try Northwest Outdoor Center. 🙂
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    I'm not much of a gym guy/workerouter guy. I go a couple of times a week to lift because there are numerous benefits to it, but definitely not remotely a gym rat. I do quite a bit of cycling...I've been doing more mountain/trail biking lately than road. I also do some hiking and kayaking. I really like rock climbing, but it got rather expensive. Swimming, and I take my boys to the skate park a couple days per week and ride my trick scooter around...I'm not very good, but it's fun.
  • rhaiin
    rhaiin Posts: 35 Member
    I enjoy doing things like Beat Saber and Audica in VR. I also have RingFit for the Switch. They make exercise more fun.
  • goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    Hiking seems like an obvious choice, given your locale. I'll also second Ring Fit Adventure on the Nintendo Switch, that's a ton of fun IMO. If you have a VR headset (we have an HTC Vive), Fruit Ninja is another good one if you like the concept of Beat Saber but have no rhythm to speak of...like me, LMAO.
  • wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    Dog agility
    Canicross (running while pulled by dog)
    horseback riding
    geocaching
    Pick A Water Activity

Honestly for me, pretty much outside, add an animal or water and I'm there.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,935 Member
    I like rowing, those skinny boats like in the Olympics, only mine is much slower than theirs. 😉 It's technical, though, so lessons are recommended. In season, I row 4x a week with my rowing buddies.

Canoeing, kayaking, really any kind of human-powered boating** is fun, to me.

** Those little squarish-crafts where you sit in a seat, pedal like a bike, and drive a paddlewheel that way? I need an umbrella drink to best enjoy those.
  • wunderkindking
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I like rowing, those skinny boats like in the Olympics, only mine is much slower than theirs. 😉 It's technical, though, so lessons are recommended. In season, I row 4x a week with my rowing buddies.

Canoeing, kayaking, really any kind of human-powered boating** is fun, to me.

** Those little squarish-crafts where you sit in a seat, pedal like a bike, and drive a paddlewheel that way? I need an umbrella drink to best enjoy those.

This is actually part of my weekend plan. It's a weird, specific boat that the local rental place (that mostly rents very big pontoon boats or very small and fast ski boats) has. It's got a deck. It's got a radio. It's got sunshade. It's got a swim ladder.

There will be umbrella drinks.

There will also be swimming without competing for a spot to swim from on a crowded beach.

Don't know how much exercise will be involved, but that thing is FUN and. Umbrella drinks :P
  • wunderkindking
    edited June 2021
    Dog agility
    Canicross (running while pulled by dog)
    horseback riding
    geocaching
    Pick A Water Activity

Honestly for me, pretty much outside, add an animal or water and I'm there.

Oh and disc golf. The exercise is in the walking all over the place on the course, but it's fun.

Honestly, that's just the deal. That it be fun. At this point in my life exercise is basically recess. Going to the gym is going to the playground. Once my weight got somewhere into overweight (instead of obese), joint pain went, energy went up. I've always been fairly active but at this point I am riding a weird wave of confidence and energy to "LET ME PLAY I WANT TO PLAY COME ON LET ME AT IT."

Yesterday I spent about 4 hours playing in the river with an innertube. Calorie burn? Eh, I dunno but it was, again, fun and moving.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,379 Member
    Geocaching? I've been doing it for 15 years. The past few years I pick out a few in nice area, plan a route and walk or cycle it to find those few caches. That might be up to 20km of walking or up to 100km of cycling. This certainly burns some calories, and I get to see new areas around here. For coming weekend I only have a 55km cycle ride planned along some caches, and it includes a visit to a UNESCO world heritage site of the history/archaeology/change of land use category with a museum that is finally open again.
  • Womona
    Womona Posts: 1,596 Member
    edited June 2021
    aribott13 wrote: »
    Looking for something I actually LIKE to do to burn some calories that I will stick with! Walking and Yoga are so far my favs. HATE the gym and biking.

Have been thinking of investing in a stand up paddle board or kayak but thought I would see what you all do that is both fun and active :)

If it changes anything I am in Seattle, so I have about 5 months out of the year where outdoor workouts are comfortable.

TIA!
    - Ariane

When I lived in the Seattle area, actually found that most people did their hiking/ kayaking/ etc. year round despite the misty gloomy weather. It’s not the weather, it’s inadequate gear! Luckily winters don’t generally go below 45 degrees, so you can still comfortably hike. Of course there is fantastic skiing at Mt. Baker!

Another option (which would have to be indoors) is tennis. Holy cow the calorie burn, plus learning a new skill is fun!
  • littlegreenparrot1
    littlegreenparrot1 Posts: 694 Member
    Climbing, dancing, swimming.

I fancy having a go at Coasteering and surfing....
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Get good rain and snow gear, microspikes, and snowshoes and hiking is now a year round comfy exercise and SO gorgeous in the PNW. Kayaking is amazing, and with the right gear, doable ~8 months out of the year. I also love martial arts, particularly krav maga, lifting weights, swing or salsa dancing, rock climbing, trampoline parks, swimming indoor or out, u-pick fruit, gardening, sledding or snowshoeing, rowing machine, even the dreadmill while watching Survivor...

Other ideas: ice/roller skating, hunting, tennis, golf, volleyball, dancing while you cook, other exercise classes, video game or VR exercise...

The world is your oyster
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    You can kayak 12 months a year here. On the rare instances when it snows, there's something very peaceful about watching the snow "land" in the water and melt.

The water temperature is dangerously low, all year if you're in the Sound, probably 9 months of the year in the lakes. A dry suit can be a very good investment if you're worried about hypothermia.
  • icemom011
    icemom011 Posts: 999 Member
    I paddle board, cycle, walk, started to play pickleball. On days when I can't do any of that, i have a stepper for an indoor exercise. It's nowhere as fan as outdoor things, but i watch my fav shows and time passes quickly. Oh, and i also can't stand gym.
  • sweetdaisy13
    sweetdaisy13 Posts: 357 Member
    edited June 2021
    As others have suggested, trail hiking/running up the mountains as it sounds like they are close-by to you.

For an indoor workout I recommend Rebounding. I've had my rebounder/mini trampoline for 5 years, best investment ever! A 30 minute workout/bounce around burns a lot of calories, it's quiet, not weather dependant and I can do it when the children are in bed whilst watching a TV programme.