Tracking

mmar1
mmar1 Posts: 2 Member
Hi! I’m trying to lose weight, so I guess I’m more calorie focused. Just wondering if it’s imperative to track fruits, and vegetables.

Replies

• robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,386 Member
    To really help the most, your should track everything you eat. It can all add up if you don't, and some people eat more of certain things than they realize.

That said, if you don't eat a lot of fruits and veggies, you could lose weight without tracking them if it makes life easier for you. That said, if we just try harder, many of us can lose weight without tracking anything at all. But I've found that if you make it a habit to log it, it also slows you down to think about that choice, or maybe save the calories for later in the day, etc.

Use the tools that work for you the best. Even though the science is the same for everyone, the mental game of how to eat within a calorie goal can be different for a lot of people.
  • mmar1
    mmar1 Posts: 2 Member
    Hi Robert. Thank you! I definitely understand what you’re saying!
  • jettrout
    jettrout Posts: 16 Member
    Yes, if you want to hit your macros.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,413 Member
    I eat 500-800 calories a day in fruits and vegetables. I could easily eat my weight in frozen blueberries and frozen cherries. Failing to log those would have massive implications on my weight.

Same for if I failed to log the tbsp of whipped Greek yogurt or Thai spicy peanut sauce, although both are low calorie.

I think WW “free” foods has led to a lot of confusion and misinformation, plus there’s the temptation to think,”oh that’s too small to bother logging.

A pound is generally calculated as being 3500 calories. Lots of piddly little items can add up in a hurry.

It’s safest to log everything.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    I eat 500 - 600 calories worth of veggies a day, so I'd be seriously undercounting if I didn't track them
  • wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    edited June 2021
    Something that is a main course, a side dish, or even a huge primary component in a dish, I track. If I eat the whole apple/orange/banana, I track. If I'm eating 2 cups of green beans, I track them. That kind of thing, yes.

I do not track like... a slice of tomato and 2 leaves of lettuce on a sandwich, the 2 strawberries I sliced on top of my oatmeal, or any other scenario where the vegetable or fruit is basically edible garnish.

YMMV.