WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JUNE 2021

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,706 Member
    Welcome to the new ladies!

I am Annie, retired, divorced, and living with my parents and my little dog Teddy. I have been very sedentary and I'm paying the price. I do a little walking but I still get aches and pains in my legs. I also do a dumbbell workout 3x a week. That's pretty good for upper body.

I try to stay under 1100 calories a day. Sundays are hard for me because my mom likes a big Sunday dinner. At least with MFP and calorie counting, I know what it costs me. My only tip is to stay high on the fiber. If psillium fiber doesn't work, try acacia fiber as an add-in.

I joined a Fat2fit group, which has teams competing over weight loss. I'm at 167 with a ways to go.

It's 97 degrees out, so off I go to do some walking in the basement. Good luck to all of you,

Annie in Delaware

Good idea to introduce ourselves to the newcomers. :)
  • Machka9
    edited June 2021
    I am Machka.

I live with my husband and our young black cat, Rhody. We got him the day before everything shut down here for COVID - March 28, 2020.

My husband and I are long distance cyclists. I'm Canadian and he's Australian and we met in France on the Paris-Brest-Paris (a 1200 km bicycle ride) in 2003. We married in Canada in 2008, he returned to Australia 10 days later and I followed 9 months later. In 2016 I finally got my citizenship! So I'm a Canadian-Australian.

Unfortunately in March 2018, he had a fall at work which resulted in a severe traumatic brain injury. He was in a coma 3 weeks and in hospital for a total of 100 days. Plus months of rehab. He has recovered better than they initially expected but his "whole person injury" has just recently been placed at 36% ... which is pretty high.

I work full time in the health data area, although just recently I've gone to a 9 day fortnight so I can spend a bit more time with my husband. I also just finished a Master's in IT with a focus on data ... it's a relief to be done that!

My husband and I still cycle but we can't do the really long distances anymore because of his brain injury. So I've added running to the mix.

I also enjoy walking, weight lifting, canoeing and if we had snow here on a day we could get out, we'd give our snowshoes a go! In Canada, I also cross-country skied. My husband and I attend physio-led pilates once a week -- him for his balance and uneven strength issues, and me for several issues with my right hip. And I climb stairs.

In 2015, I lost a lot of weight and got right down to the weight I was in my early 30s. I maintained that weight through 2016 and 2017 as we were cycling long distances and training for another Paris-Brest-Paris in France. Unfortunately, my husband's situation, work, and university got on top of me and I gained weight. Now that things are easing a bit, I'm trying to focus on losing again. I have maintained my weight for over a year ... I just need to go down!

Regarding diet - I lean toward a vegetarian or Mediterranean diet. I'm not one to adhere strictly to a particular way of eating but I prefer to avoid red meat when I can and prefer to base my meals on veggies and grains.

I also 'accidentally' do Intermittent Fasting because I usually stop eating about 9 pm and don't eat again until about 11:30 am or later. That's just how I feel comfortable eating!

That's pretty much me. :)

Machka in Oz
  • JustJenn68
    JustJenn68 Posts: 38 Member
    Hello!
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,786 Member
    <3
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 17,929 Member
    edited June 2021
    Morning all.

Pip: ~ You 2 are living the highlife. Where are you camping?
    Flea: ~ 🤗 she's such a cutie
    Allie: ~ (((hugs))) Your body has been through the ringer. Give it time to heal ❤️
    Heather: ~ I know what you mean. There is no place like home. 😂 We find ourselves questioning every outing and wondering if it's worth the bother. 😍 Postcard, and the holiday pics of grands.
    Annie in Delaware: ~ good idea with the bio, Annie. With so many new people it seems like a good idea. Well done on the exercise.
    • I am Terri and I live in Northern Ireland with my husband. Our 55th wedding anniversary is next month and we have two daughters and three adult grandchildren. I'm 75 and a retired maths teacher.
    • I joined MFP in 2015 as I had put on a lot of weight because of mobility problems related to a bad hip. I needed to lose the weight so that I could have hip replacement operation. MFP was very successful for me and I lost more than enough weight be able to have the operation about nine months later. I have continued and I'm have been maintaining just above ultimate goal weight for over a year. (83 lbs down on my starting weight in 2015)
    • I use CI/CO and a variety of exercises to help me with the number of calories I can have. Logging and daily weighing allow me to keep a check on what I am eating and how it's affecting me. I do a modified IF most days. Portion control, good hydration, and weighing food are important habits that I have developed over the last 6+ years. The challenge groups on MFP have been invaluable in my progress.
    • I belong to Just Give Me 10 Days, Just for today, Ultimate Accountability Challenge, and We are the Warriors, and our 50+ ladies group at present. I am assistant coach for a private walking group.
    • My favourite exercise is dancing, and I also have a large garden in which I love to work, and I am very keen on lots of arts and crafts activities. I write daily, and paint watercolours often. I relax by walking, watching TV and doing puzzles.

I am off to my craft group meeting this morning. We have two more group meetings before summer recess. I have to go and sort out what I'm taking with me. Last time I sewed buttons onto a sleeveless cardigan that I had finished crocheting. I think I might do a little bit of embroidery this morning.

I think summer may have arrived at last. I am able to go outside in a sleeveless top even when it's cloudy. I took this picture yesterday. I thought I had lost this one over winter, but it's come back to life.
    nwb7ea96cyvq.jpg
    ☘️ Terri
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,124 Member
    Terri - Love your lilies. One of the front gardens round here has a huge display. Poppies do well here as well. We have palm trees and tree ferns. :o

Went for my run this morning. Beautiful. The sea fret rolled in now and then , which added to the experience. DH came with me and we bought cherries on the way back. :D
    Now to do some rowing.

Love Heather UK xxxxxx
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,287 Member
    Morning, afternoon and evening all,

Lost my first post, as I'm in rabbit mode this morning, jumping from website to website to follow tiny trails that intrigue me.

Welcome to everyone who's new, @JustJenn68 , Emma from UK- @elthurston1 , @Nurse_from_Texas , @dgarlick1 and anyone else I missed. Just let us know what to call you, and a general location, and then speak up in any conversation that appeals. Don't feel you have to answer everyone.

Up way too early, but it was productive. I'm experimenting with bread dough shaped into rolls that I flash froze yesterday. I thawed them in the refrigerator overnight. I'll be getting the times and variations written down.
    :smile:

Time to start assembling Corey's lunch to get him out the door... and am working on my second cup of coffee.

Later, y'all,
    Love,
    Lisa
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,193 MFP Moderator
    Good morning, Ladies,

I hope you're having a fantastic day! I just wanted to post a quick reminder that for your safety, MyFitnessPal does not allow the public posting of private contact information in the community.

Here's the guideline:
    8. Ensure private information stays private

I WILL:

I will check my profile privacy settings.

I will report suspicious or malicious messages to MyFitnessPal Staff or Moderators.

I will block users who send unwanted messages.

I WON'T:

I won’t publicly post an email, private message or any other type of message from any other MyFitnessPal user, moderator or staff member at any time.

I won’t post personal information like telephone numbers, email, mailing address, social media, chat or instant messenger IDs, etc. (i.e., Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, WhatsApp usernames, etc.).

I won’t ask other members to post their personal contact information.

The rest of the community guidelines can be found here if you're interested in a review: https://www.myfitnesspal.com/community-guidelines

Thanks,
    Em
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,577 Member
    Good Tuesday! I have been reading along. Hugs to all especially those dealing with losses, illnesses, or family issues. ((HUGS))
    I think I hit a breaking point this past Saturday. All I could do was cry and be quiet. While I maintained within 3 pounds of my goal for 6 months, I have blown that away in the past 6. I put on 4 dresses that were just too form fitting. Finally found on that fit. At that point got on the scale.....I have gained back 10 pounds. 😢 I know why...I quit logging, moving, and hydrating. I forgot to put me first. My house was in a chaotic state. My work all consuming. I didnt even get May checks in the bank until June 1. I have a physical the end of July. I know what to do just have to implement it. So.....I am showering at night before bed. Was taking one with DH in morning, but his timing wasnt working for me. This is one less thing for morning time. I am packing lunches in the pm. Easier to log and I know I have something healthy so that I am not living on chocolates. I need to add exercise, but did get my 10k steps in yesterday. I switched my water container back to one with a straw. Apparently, I drink more with a straw. I have started decluttering home. Now down to just one area which I am working on when I get out of hot tub. I "feel" better and KNOW I have all of you for support. I love the sharing, caring, and support of you all.
    Family drama,maybe, could just be my sister being my sister. My nephew is getting married in July in CA. I feel badly that no one from my sister's side of the family is attending, but the cost for most of the family is prohibitive. For my brother, it is health of grand babies reasons. For me it is mask wearing. I cannot wear one for more than about 5 minutes without panicking and high anxiety. Therefore no planes. It is at least a 3 day drive one way. I say at least as I am the solo driver. My sister hasn't called me back since I told her this. It is typical for her though. We play phone tag often. I was looking forward to the wedding thinking east coast, forgot bride's family is west coast. 😪
    Thank you for listening. ❤
    Better get a few things done before work. I will bio later.

❤🦋
    Kylia in muggy Ohio
  • Machka9
    Just FYI ...

Internet down: Multiple global, Australian news sites down
    https://www.news.com.au/technology/online/multiple-global-news-sites-down-including-bbc-new-york-times/news-story/c031442a58ac3b34dcea35b59127c596

If you can't get onto something, that might be why.

M in Oz
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,024 Member
    Em thanks for reminder. You can private message others if you want a phone number or address. The guidelins are for our safety.
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    :)
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    💘💝💖
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,433 Member
    Morning all.

Pip: ~ You 2 are living the highlife. Where are you camping?
    Flea: ~ 🤗 she's such a cutie
    Allie: ~ (((hugs))) Your body has been through the ringer. Give it time to heal ❤️
    Heather: ~ I know what you mean. There is no place like home. 😂 We find ourselves questioning every outing and wondering if it's worth the bother. 😍 Postcard, and the holiday pics of grands.
    Annie in Delaware: ~ good idea with the bio, Annie. With so many new people it seems like a good idea. Well done on the exercise.
    • I am Terri and I live in Northern Ireland with my husband. Our 55th wedding anniversary is next month and we have two daughters and three adult grandchildren. I'm 75 and a retired maths teacher.
    • I joined MFP in 2015 as I had put on a lot of weight because of mobility problems related to a bad hip. I needed to lose the weight so that I could have hip replacement operation. MFP was very successful for me and I lost more than enough weight be able to have the operation about nine months later. I have continued and I'm have been maintaining just above ultimate goal weight for over a year. (83 lbs down on my starting weight in 2015)
    • I use CI/CO and a variety of exercises to help me with the number of calories I can have. Logging and daily weighing allow me to keep a check on what I am eating and how it's affecting me. I do a modified IF most days. Portion control, good hydration, and weighing food are important habits that I have developed over the last 6+ years. The challenge groups on MFP have been invaluable in my progress.
    • I belong to Just Give Me 10 Days, Just for today, Ultimate Accountability Challenge, and We are the Warriors, and our 50+ ladies group at present. I am assistant coach for a private walking group.
    • My favourite exercise is dancing, and I also have a large garden in which I love to work, and I am very keen on lots of arts and crafts activities. I write daily, and paint watercolours often. I relax by walking, watching TV and doing puzzles.

I am off to my craft group meeting this morning. We have two more group meetings before summer recess. I have to go and sort out what I'm taking with me. Last time I sewed buttons onto a sleeveless cardigan that I had finished crocheting. I think I might do a little bit of embroidery this morning.

I think summer may have arrived at last. I am able to go outside in a sleeveless top even when it's cloudy. I took this picture yesterday. I thought I had lost this one over winter, but it's come back to life.
    nwb7ea96cyvq.jpg
    ☘️ Terri

Redwood# RV resort in leggett ca is where we r at. About 5-6 hrs from Fresno