Women 200lb+, Let's Get The Job Done This June!!!

Replies

• goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    edited June 2021
    @FadedNovelty hey, happy birthday! today is also my birthday :)

When you say you "do good" during the day and then "totally bomb" at night, do you mean you eat as little as possible during the day so that come nighttime you're hungry AF and then way overshoot your calories because you ain't hardly et anything all day?

@OnceAndFutureAthlete I hope you aren't actually eating below BMR (basal metabolic rate) - what tool were you using? BMR is the number of calories you'd burn in a day if you were in a coma, the absolute bare minimum number of calories your body needs to keep you alive. Did you mean TDEE (total daily energy expenditure, which accounts for things like purposeful exercise and going about your daily business of not being in a coma)?
  • JNettie73
    JNettie73 Posts: 1,208 Member
    Name: Jeanette

Starting weight: 270 March 2021
    June Start Weight: 241
    June Goal Weight: somewhere between 230 - 235
    Ultimate Goal Weight: TBD

I weigh in on Sundays.

June 6: 239.4
    June 13:
    June 20:
    June 27

I am doing okay so far. Some days I've been getting my workout in later at night after my daughter goes to sleep. When that happens I find I am staying up way to late. I need to try to get my workouts done in the morning. Today I am taking it easy because my legs are a bit achy from all the biking I have been doing. My daughter is at school and my husband had to go into the office for a few hours instead of working from home. I am working remotely. It is so strange having the house all to myself. I am enjoying my alone time while relaxing on the couch.

@goal06082021 Happy Birthday! I have never heard of a cat lady subscription before. It sounds amazing! I am a cat lover too. I only have one at the moment, Elsa. I also have a stray, who my daughter named Anna, living temporarlily in my garage. My neighbor found her and she wasn't in the best of shape, very hungry and lethargic. I was able to trap her and tried to find an owner or a rescue to take her with no luck. I believe she is deaf. She will come out when I feed her but hides on me other wise. Thankfully my husband puts up with my desire to help every animal in need. A few weeks ago I was rescuing baby birds that fell from their nest.

@FadedNovelty Happy Birthday!
  • OnceAndFutureAthlete
    OnceAndFutureAthlete Posts: 192 Member
    edited June 2021
    @OnceAndFutureAthlete I hope you aren't actually eating below BMR (basal metabolic rate) - what tool were you using? BMR is the number of calories you'd burn in a day if you were in a coma, the absolute bare minimum number of calories your body needs to keep you alive. Did you mean TDEE (total daily energy expenditure, which accounts for things like purposeful exercise and going about your daily business of not being in a coma)?

Hmmmm. Food for thought, as they say. I used the BMR calculator in the MFP "APPS" section. Hadn't thought about the difference between BMR and TDEE, although my day is usually sitting at my computer 10-12 hours for work, so they probably are pretty close to the same. :p
    I have been taking the dog for longer and longer walks, which is already getting easier, and so do plan to start a more structured exercise plan after a few more pounds, so I know that will help up the calories "allowed" and/or the deficit.

Thanks for the insight. :)

Also, Happy Birthday!!!

speyerj wrote: »
    @OnceAndFutureAthlete - It's true. If I don't engage in exercise, my maintenance calories are about the same as what used to be a 1000 calorie deficit when I weighed 125 pounds more. Seems hopeless, doesn't it? But it's only hopeless if you view this way of eating as a temporary thing. It's not. It's a forever thing. The way you eat today to lose weight is the way you will eat to maintain weight - give or take a few calories. Which is why I am a big proponent of eating the foods you love while eating at a deficit. You will just eat less of them, or have them less often. Eating at a deficit is not deprivation. Do not put your life on hold - have an active social life that involves sharing meals with people you love. Just pay attention to your choices, log your food faithfully and make adjustments along the way. When you adopt the attitude that you will be eating this way forever, you start to eat in a way that makes eating at a deficit sustainable. And that is the key to success - not quick losses, but sustainability.

This is a very helpful way of re-framing one's thinking. Especially the "life on hold" part, which I've definitely been doing. Thank you!
  • goal06082021
    @JNettie73 nice loss! and thank you :) My sister just got me the one box but I'm thinking about buying an actual subscription (catladybox.com) - they also sell past items a la carte, and they've had some cool stuff in recent months! As for Anna (love the cat names!), If your local Humane Society/ASPCA/Animal Control has a "TNR" or "TNVR" program, you might at least be able to get her spayed if she isn't already, for free or cheap. If she's not chipped, she might as well be a community cat, so at the very least you can prevent her from contributing to cat overpopulation in your area and maybe get her a dose of vaccines while you're at it. You're not likely to find a shelter with space for an adult cat at this time of year, though - summertime is kitten season, and April-May-June in particular is peak kitten season, any shelter that takes cats will be up to their collective eyeballs in babies right now. You could also ask your local shelter about maybe fostering her until there is space for her there, if that's something you and your family (including Elsa) would be able to do.
  • M0th3rGoose
    M0th3rGoose Posts: 10 Member
    After more than a year of tracking calories and fat grams and exercise, I am no longer pre-diabetic! My bloodwork all came back normal. My Fitness Pal has been so helpful--and I appreciate all of you here talking/sharing about your weight loss.

Congrats!!
  • goal06082021

Hmmmm. Food for thought, as they say. I used the BMR calculator in the MFP "APPS" section. Hadn't thought about the difference between BMR and TDEE, although my day is usually sitting at my computer 10-12 hours for work, so they probably are pretty close to the same. :p
    I have been taking the dog for longer and longer walks, which is already getting easier, and so do plan to start a more structured exercise plan after a few more pounds, so I know that will help up the calories "allowed" and/or the deficit.

Thanks for the insight. :)

Also, Happy Birthday!!!

-snip-

Thanks!

I don't see a BMR calculator in the Apps section, on desktop or mobile, so I'm still not sure what you were looking at. But even if you do have a desk job, you do burn more calories per day doing that than laying perfectly still in bed and not doing much else besides breathing. Fidgeting, getting up to get coffee or use the restroom, shuffling papers around on your desk, all of that contributes to your NEAT (non-exercise activity thermogenesis), which is what MFP uses to estimate your calorie budget. The basic difference between NEAT and TDEE is that TDEE does count purposeful exercise - that's why MFP wants you to log your purposeful exercise separately and eat those calories back, because the NEAT doesn't take that into account (see: non-exercise activity thermogenesis). (I decided logging my exercise is a hassle, so I just manually reset my calories to my TDEE minus about 500, since the exercise has become a daily habit at this point, so my activity level is pretty consistent week-to-week. I used tdeecalculator.net.) And yeah, exercising more will allow you to eat more, which I'd be lying if I said that's not the primary reason I exercise, LMAO :p but hey, whatever gets you up and moving is valid!

• goal06082021
    Wed Weigh In

Height 5'4"
    June GW 195

6/2: 203.8
    6/9: 204.6 (embarrassed, but im adding it anyway)
    6/16:
    6/23:
    6/30:

I had a feeling I'd gained. I chaperoned my kids to our church youth camp and was at the mercy of what they served in the cafeteria. Of course I over indulged on things I wouldn't normally eat, so now I need to get back on track. My goals are to drink more water, start exercising, stop snacking on unhealthy foods, and log everything!

Honesty is important, I'm proud of you for staying accountable. Did you go over your weekly calories by 3500? If not, that +1 lb is not fat. And if it is, well, you know why it happened and you know how to keep it from happening again. You got this. :)