Treat myself?

Options
I got a huge Dairy Queen cake for my birthday ( I didn't buy it) I ate a small piece as a thank you, and to celebrate. However I've lost 43lbs and would rather give the rest of the cake to family members, instead of keeping ibecause I want to keep on track. My husband and kids are lactose intolerant and cant eat it. My husband says I should keep it and TREAT myself. Any thoughts?

Replies

• littlegreenparrot1
    littlegreenparrot1 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    It's up to you.
    One of the things I have learned is that other people's ideas of what I should/shouldn't eat are irrelevant.

I always think it's nice to share these things, and of course it means less for you. Are there colleagues or neighbours about you could share with?

Personally I cannot have that kind of thing in the house. I might start by trying to convince myself I would just have a bit every day, but end up scoffing the whole lot in short order.
  • naomi9271
    naomi9271 Posts: 127 Member
    edited June 2021
    Options
    Why not both? Cut yourself another piece or two for a treat later, and share the rest is probably what I’d do in your shoes. It’d probably be hard to eat the rest w/in your calorie budget before it all got freezer burn anyway.

Unless having it in the house could be an issue or risk getting you off track. Wouldn’t bother me, but it would a lot of people.
  • lmf1012
    lmf1012 Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I agree with @naomi9271, save a slice or two for a couple of treats over the next few days and give the rest away.

If I kept the whole cake for myself I’d eat the whole thing in a few days which would blow my calorie budget out of the water.

• yweight2020
    yweight2020 Posts: 591 Member
    edited June 2021
    Options
    I'd eat what I want give away and or toss it out. It's up to you, your health and goals, your not obligated to eat any of it, but it was a nice treat eating the first slice and for some people more than that can become a slippery slope.

Myself I'd keep 1 more small slice for myself and get rid of the rest. Happy Birthday 🥳

Congratulations on your 43 lb weight loss.🤗
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,425 Member
    Options
    Sometimes, ya just gotta toss, no matter how it pains you.

I bought a large bag of slightly sweetened crunchy bread rings at a middle eastern grocery a couple weeks ago. Around bed time I realized I’d eaten half the package

The rest went in the trash as a protective measure. Wasteful but necessary. I did enjoy the ones I ate, though.
  • goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    It's okay to throw it out. If you're debating whether to eat something or throw it in the trash, choose option 2 and do not equate your body with a garbage can.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    Me. I’d vacuum freeze it in individual slices and save it for the next time I had people over for dinner.

Because I have no idea when I’ll be allowed to have a dinner party (still no visiting in this part of the world) I’d freeze it and have a slice every now and again.

I know it wouldn’t weigh on my mind it being there so that works for me.
    You do what would work for you.

Cheers, h.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    I'd freeze a few slices and get rid of the rest one way or the other.

Do you have family members other than your lactose-intolerant ones who are an option?
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,591 Member
    Options
    My intention would be to save a slice or two and leave the rest for the homeless.

The reality would be....wait. Dairy Queen? Ice cream? Melting? The homeless are fast but I'm not sure THAT fast!

Yeah, the whole thing would end up in my belly.
  • Onedaywriter
    Onedaywriter Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Sometimes by sticking to it, the pride in yourself is a better treat! It’s up to you- no crime in either eating it or giving it away!