Hit a wall!

Hello; I am reaching out because I’m at a loss. I have been working out since my early 20’s (now 48). I used to have a problem gaining weight. Now I seem to have the opposite problem. No matter what I do my weight stays exactly the same. Starting to think my scales broken. I have tried every variation of my workouts and am using my fitness pal to watch my meals. And still nothing. It’s even rare that I’m sore after the gym. Need guidance or suggestions.

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,454 Member
    Every variation of your workout? What's your workout? Do you weigh your food or guesstimate? If you're not sore, it's because the workout you're doing, you're used to. But soreness isn't an indication that you're not working out enough.
    Are you trying to lose?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,907 Member
    Learn to log accurately.

Here: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1234699/logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide/p1

If you do that for a month, and set your Activity Level here accurately AND eat a bit more on exercise days, you can build a data-set from which to work in about a month of logging.

Then, you adjust up or down on your food.

Weight management is 100% about how much you eat.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,048 Member
    What is your goal?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,846 Member
    There are mistakes that people commonly make that cause them to not lose weight that we might be able to spot if you change your Diary Sharing settings to Public: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings
  • apriore08
    apriore08 Posts: 4 Member
    My goal is to loose weight and tone muscle. I go to the gym almost every morning. I do strength training, cardio, and kick boxing. I change it up so I don’t get burned out. I’ve done variations of strength training, lift as much weight as I can and do reps and sets until fatigue, or lighter weight with higher reps. I have horses, so on a daily basis I clean stalls, lug hay and water buckets, feed bags 50lbs. When I figure out how to share my food journal. But I have never gone over my recommended calorie intake. And I love raw vegetables and fruit, so I eat fairly healthy. This is the first time I’ve ever struggled. I’ve never not had abs!!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    All the exercise in the world won't cause fat loss if you don't account for calories.

Since you seem to be eating at maintenance, normally the advice would be move more and eat less.
    Since you have the move more down fine - eat less.

Find something in your normal food eating you can reduce or leave out, weigh current amount eaten - see the calories from it, decide new amount to eat - find 500 calories to leave out.
    That doesn't even require accurate logging of everything - merely finding something to drop.

Once the fat is gone, you can add a little back, but not the whole amount since you'll weigh less.
  • apriore08
    I’ll try that. But according to my app I’m not eating enough as it is. Today 1400 calories yesterday 800. Almost no fat in my diet. And according to the app I should weigh 121 by now. Nope still 130.8 and have been since I started the app over a month ago.
  • apriore08
    I have my Apple Watch set at 600 calories to burn a day. And I meet that or more almost everyday. Should it shoot for higher?
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    apriore08 wrote: »
    I have my Apple Watch set at 600 calories to burn a day. And I meet that or more almost everyday. Should it shoot for higher?

I would focus on a month of consistent and accurate food logging so you have reliable data on which to base decisions.
    Keep exercise as a great thing to do for health, fitness and body composition but it's your food intake that will be the primary driver in losing weight.
  • Beverly2Hansen
    Beverly2Hansen Posts: 378 Member
    Do you eat back exercise calories? So I'm not an athlete per say but I power walk 5-8 miles a day and stalled my weightloss for 2 years not understanding that if you're logging parts of your normal routine like gym and mucking stalls then you have to put your activity level at sedentary because it's meant to be your activity level without the movement you logg as exercise. It was to complicated for me in the end so I stopped logging the exercises and put a slightly higher(1720) calorie deficit goal. Weighing food is really important too because for example most store bought chicken breasts are 8-10oz but most log entries are 4oz so you think you logged it right but what your eating is 50-60% higher in calorie before you even add sauces or butter that was used in cooking. I also recomend checking every food package and finding the closest log entry to what the box or package says a serving size is because a lot of stuff is wrong. I also want to point out that fitness monitors guess your calorie burn and most overestimate it so don't rely on them as super accurate.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    apriore08 wrote: »
    I’ll try that. But according to my app I’m not eating enough as it is. Today 1400 calories yesterday 800. Almost no fat in my diet. And according to the app I should weigh 121 by now. Nope still 130.8 and have been since I started the app over a month ago.

My reference to once the fat is gone you can add food back - was in reference to fat weight on your body.

Not to cut fat from your diet. I said find something to cut from the foods you eat - could be 3 soda's drank daily with sugar, could be a fat bomb dessert, could be extra bread eaten.
    As others have pointed out - very stressful on body to attempt to cut out all fat from diet.

That usually means there is a misconception that eating fat causes gaining fat on body. Not so. Eating too much of anything that causes more calories in than out causes gaining fat.