Be honest with me

Hi, I have attached some pictures for reference:
u0vzhdz341ws.png
kqhdx2nipvhs.png
[pics edited by MFP Staff]

Both pictures on the left was taken in July 2020 when I think I was about 120-122 lbs. The pictures on the right was taken today at 126.0 lbs.

If I'm being honest, I *feel* fat. It is about 6 lbs difference after all, I think my tummy look bigger.

But I have also been working out a lot, especially in the past month or so, I started a lot of lifting, did a lot of arm, leg, core, abs. I don't feel like I got any bulkier/have more muscle, but apparently in my group of friends that I shared these pictures to, they all said I don't look any fatter, and the only difference is that in the pictures on the right I have more muscle.

I don't know if my friends are just trying to spare my feeling (be it intentionally or subconsciously), so I want to ask you guys. Do you think I look any difference? Fatter? Stronger?

I'm not trying to lose weight or even gaining weight, I just want 2 things: a. to lose my tummy fat so I can look nice, and b. to gain muscle so I can afford to eat more calories per day since I love food. Please be brutally honest with me.

Thank you

Replies

• JacquelineCharmander
    JacquelineCharmander Posts: 38 Member
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Honestly, there's no significant difference at all. 6lbs can just be water weight. And there's no way in 30 days that any significant muscle got put on. It takes about 2 weeks for the body to just get used to consistently working out and then the next 2 weeks EVEN IF you did an overload program, you wouldn't gain any significant muscle.
    And I do know what I'm talking about being a CPT in the business for over 35+ years.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Thank you. That sound quite reasonable.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,489 Member
    33gail33 wrote: »
    Not sure what other people are seeing but it definitely looks to me like there is a change in shape in both the glute and upper arm areas in the second set of pictures. I agree with your friends it doesn't look like fat. These pictures are almost a year apart right? I mean it could be the way your are standing or lighting differences, but you could definitely have gained muscle in that amount of time.
    Would have had a better reference if the same clothing was worn and in the same spot. Backgrounds can throw off how things look visually.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • JacquelineCharmander
    sijomial wrote: »
    Can't see any real difference between the pictures.

"to gain muscle so I can afford to eat more calories per day since I love food."

To gain muscle is a great goal but if you think it will materially change your calorie allowance you will be disapointed to realise that having additional muscle burns approximately 6 cals per day per pound at rest.
    What really boosts your calorie allowance is using your muscles with a greater volume of activity and/or exercise.
    Simply put the more you move the more you get to eat.

Aww really? That's a shame. I still work out a lot (in my opinion anyway) rergardless so I can consume more food, but that kinda suck :(
    Not sure what other people are seeing but it definitely looks to me like there is a change in shape in both the glute and upper arm areas in the second set of pictures. I agree with your friends it doesn't look like fat. These pictures are almost a year apart right? I mean it could be the way your are standing or lighting differences, but you could definitely have gained muscle in that amount of time.

It's about a year apart yeah. Although in the last year or so the only weight training I did was doing about 40-50 reps of 15 lbs dumbbell curl (either 8x5 or 10x5) on MWF. But starting like 3 months ago I started adding sit up and plank to my everyday routine, and starting last month I got inspired and started a lot more weight lifting to my routine, like I start doing Overhead Press, Lunge/Squat while holding weight etc.
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Would have had a better reference if the same clothing was worn and in the same spot. Backgrounds can throw off how things look visually.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Yeah that's fair. I do think it's probably lighting too. Can't imagine I would look buffer in just a month or soo
  • MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    👀 You've been doing core work and your legs seem more muscular. I see a difference in your stomach and leg area from the side pics alone 🤷🏾‍♀️
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Aww really? That's a shame. I still work out a lot (in my opinion anyway) rergardless so I can consume more food, but that kinda suck :(

And there you have put your finger on it - it's using your muscles frequently that is the calorie burner, not just having a few more pounds of muscle. Although sadly not a big calorie burn from strength training.

You would make much faster progress with a far more balanced program rather than doing 50 reps using one of the smaller muscles in your body (biceps). You could use your time and effort far more efficiently.
  • JacquelineCharmander
    sijomial wrote: »

And there you have put your finger on it - it's using your muscles frequently that is the calorie burner, not just having a few more pounds of muscle. Although sadly not a big calorie burn from strength training.

You would make much faster progress with a far more balanced program rather than doing 50 reps using one of the smaller muscles in your body (biceps). You could use your time and effort far more efficiently.

Yeah I started doing a lot more variety strength training in the last month on top of dumbbell curl. My goal as far as strength training right now, as silly as it sound, is to be able to do like 10 push up everyday haha. I really appreciate your advice!
  • viajera99
    viajera99 Posts: 252 Member
    Another factor to consider is if you were in a different part of your menstrual cycle. There's a bit more softness on the right which could easily be accounted for by that.
  • stephaniek511
    stephaniek511 Posts: 86 Member
    viajera99 wrote: »
    Another factor to consider is if you were in a different part of your menstrual cycle. There's a bit more softness on the right which could easily be accounted for by that.

^^This. For me, the difference at points in my cycle has gotten worse. Personally I think you look more toned/defined on the right. I find my lower abdomen to mess with my mind because it's the only part that doesn't "tone" consistently due to my cycle. I've started taking these types of pictures once a week to remind myself that I am making progress so that when the water bloat appears, I can remind myself of that.
  • zac296caz
    zac296caz Posts: 8 Member
    I don't think you look too different. Only slightly more muscle mass.
    I'm struggling with this issues as I bulk right.
    I'm in the same boat as you in goals.

The only thing is it's only possible to do one.

Try and gain muscle and be in a caloric surplus.
    Or go in a cut and lose belly fat but maintain the muscle... Even lose some muscle.

It is possible to be in a cut and gain muscle if you eat a lot of protein, but I would be wary. It takes a lot more planning with your meals.
    I'm struggling with what direction I should go too at this point as well.