Eating While Working Two Jobs

ehju0901
ehju0901 Posts: 353 Member
I am currently working a full-time job 8 AM-4:30 PM. Eating on a decent schedule is not an issue here; however, where I am running into issues is with my part-time job. Sometimes I am scheduled 6 PM-11 PM during the week. I usually try to eat something small before going to work, but I struggle with not eating when getting home around midnight. I usually want it to be something quick so I can eat and get to bed, but it's usually not helping my diet at all.

Wondering if anyone has any tips or suggestions? Should I avoid eating completely when getting home? Eat something light? Any ideas on foods to eat after work?

Replies

• penguinmama87
    penguinmama87 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Do you have any opportunity to eat something while at your PT job or on your way home? That might work better for the times you're more inclined to be hungry, so you're not so hungry when you get home you'll eat anything (been there.)

When you eat doesn't really matter for weight loss, so if you're hungry when you get home it's OK to eat something if you've planned on it and it fits into your calories. A piece of fruit, a glass of milk, a string cheese, some nuts or a spoonful of peanut butter (weigh these!)

When you're working this much it can be easy to not get enough sleep. When I'm overtired I get hungrier. So it might be worth taking a look at that too. :)
  • goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    Are you hungry after work, or are you forcing yourself to eat something because you feel like you should? Do you wake up feeling crappy if you've fasted for 12-13 hours (i.e., haven't eaten since 5 PM the previous day when you got off Job 1 and scarfed something on the way to Job 2)? Or is it more like "I have Doritos for dinner on days when I work Job 2 and I'm not happy about that"?

I think meal prepping would probably help you - it sounds like you're getting home from Job 2, thinking "man, I want/need to eat something," (whichever the case is), and making nutritional choices that aren't serving your goals, because a more nutritious option doesn't exist or takes way more effort to prepare at 11 PM. Do you have time, maybe on the weekends, to prepare nutritious meals that fit your calorie budget so they're in the fridge/freezer and ready to go when you get home from Job 2? My favorite thing about meal prepping is being able to log the food in advance; I use the recipe builder and weigh out all my portions, so I know all 5 containers in the fridge are identical, and I can just log it once and copy it over the next 4 days. Then I already know my lunch is 500 calories or whatever, I don't have to think and plan and do math in the moment at mealtime when I'm hungry and only have X minutes of break during which to eat my food.
  • ehju0901
    Are you hungry after work, or are you forcing yourself to eat something because you feel like you should? Do you wake up feeling crappy if you've fasted for 12-13 hours (i.e., haven't eaten since 5 PM the previous day when you got off Job 1 and scarfed something on the way to Job 2)? Or is it more like "I have Doritos for dinner on days when I work Job 2 and I'm not happy about that"?

I think meal prepping would probably help you - it sounds like you're getting home from Job 2, thinking "man, I want/need to eat something," (whichever the case is), and making nutritional choices that aren't serving your goals, because a more nutritious option doesn't exist or takes way more effort to prepare at 11 PM. Do you have time, maybe on the weekends, to prepare nutritious meals that fit your calorie budget so they're in the fridge/freezer and ready to go when you get home from Job 2? My favorite thing about meal prepping is being able to log the food in advance; I use the recipe builder and weigh out all my portions, so I know all 5 containers in the fridge are identical, and I can just log it once and copy it over the next 4 days. Then I already know my lunch is 500 calories or whatever, I don't have to think and plan and do math in the moment at mealtime when I'm hungry and only have X minutes of break during which to eat my food.

I'd say it is more typically that I am actually hungry. I usually eat something small before going to the second job because I'd don't like feeling overly full at work.

I was thinking about maybe making a chicken breast before the second job and putting it in the refrigerator so I all I have to do is microwave it. Maybe I'll add a steamed veggie or something.
  • ehju0901
    Do you have any opportunity to eat something while at your PT job or on your way home? That might work better for the times you're more inclined to be hungry, so you're not so hungry when you get home you'll eat anything (been there.)

When you eat doesn't really matter for weight loss, so if you're hungry when you get home it's OK to eat something if you've planned on it and it fits into your calories. A piece of fruit, a glass of milk, a string cheese, some nuts or a spoonful of peanut butter (weigh these!)

When you're working this much it can be easy to not get enough sleep. When I'm overtired I get hungrier. So it might be worth taking a look at that too. :)

Definitely agree about the sleep issue. I am trying to get better about this, but at least I only work the part time job typically two days per week (one weekday and one weekend day).
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Suggestion. Eat a meal between jobs. If it needs to be light, salad with a little protein, or fish & veg, or sandwich. Small snack before 2nd job ends, like jerky or string cheese Or hard-boiled egg. If you can’t eat during work, then keep it in the car for on the way home. Light meal when you get home. Soup or small sandwich.
  • littlegreenparrot1
    littlegreenparrot1 Posts: 694 Member
    I have been in this position.

What worked for me was a light dinner before starting Job 2, timing varied and sometimes that had to be a sandwich scoffed in the car. Then when I got home it was green tea and peanut butter on toast, sometimes midnight or after. I could never be bothered with anything more complicated.

That little routine for 1/2 hour helped me to wind down and feel like I was ready to sleep. If I skipped it because it was late it would take much longer to settle down.