Tomato and Cucumber Ideas

ehju0901
ehju0901 Posts: 350 Member
I noticed my local grocery store has tomatoes and cucumbers on sale this week, and it got me thinking about ideas to have a nice low calorie snack with them.

I was thinking about topping them with some dill seasoning or adding them to cottage cheese.

Any other ideas? I'm curious what others like to do.

Replies

• goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    Dill and cottage cheese would both be a great way to eat cucumber slices. Probably tomatoes too, I'm not as much of a tomato fan but I imagine that would be good.

Cucumber and tomato together, along with maybe some thin-sliced red onion, make a nice refreshing salad - dress with your favorite vinegar (wine or balsamic would be my pick), salt and pepper, maybe some herbs (Italian blend or any in that mix, like basil, oregano, thyme).

You could also just slice them up and eat them, they're perfectly good as-is.
  • MsCzar
    MsCzar Posts: 1,039 Member
    Google 'Asian cucumber salad.' To save calories, I usually cut the sesame oil waaaay back from what most recipes call for. Sometimes I switch out the sesame oil for chili oil. It can become a whole meal served over cold noodles or mac.
  • COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,145 Member
    MsCzar wrote: »
    Google 'Asian cucumber salad.' To save calories, I usually cut the sesame oil waaaay back from what most recipes call for. Sometimes I switch out the sesame oil for chili oil. It can become a whole meal served over cold noodles or mac.

I do something similar, but not as a salad/side dish. I slice cucumber and put it in a dish to marinate with some rice wine vinegar and some sweet and spicy chile flakes. I drain most of the vinegar off after a day or two. I keep these as a cold snack in the fridge. If you slice the cucumbers more on the thick and chunky size, they stay crisp for the better part of a week. Thin slices (I used a mandolin) get mushy faster.
  • littlegreenparrot1
    littlegreenparrot1 Posts: 694 Member
    Salsa salad. Chop tomato up small, chop cucumber to similar size.
    Lime juice, chilli flakes and olive oil as dressing.
    Can also add tin of sweetcorn.

I like this one as well

http://mycookinggallery.blogspot.com/2017/08/marinated-cucumber-with-mint.html?m=1
  • ehju0901
    Update:

I cut up two roma tomatoes (not my favorite kind of tomato but they were on sale), one cucumber, added 1 cup of 1% cottage cheese, some black pepper and a tablespoon of olive oil. Came in at 335 calories. It's nice for a filling lunch and being pretty low cal. I might consider adding a fruit to it and going without the olive oil since it didn't add much flavor.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,048 Member
    Gazpacho. Tabbouleh.
  • OnceAndFutureAthlete
    OnceAndFutureAthlete Posts: 192 Member
    When tomatoes are ripe/local and in best form, I love them on their own. Yesterday I just sliced one and sprinkled "everything bagel topping" (available from TJs or Aldi or a bunch of other places now) on top and it was [chef's kiss]!
    Today I'm out of tomatoes so am doing the same with a cucumber. Maybe tomorrow I'll live on the edge and have both tomato and cucumber. :)
    Sounds boring, but it's tasty and couldn't be any lower in calories!
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,551 Member
    When there is a glut of super cheap tomatoes mid summer I will buy a 10 kg box and make tomato sauce to freeze in small containers. If the cheap tomatoes do not have fabulous flavour, roasting them first is a great rescue.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    I often just have tomato slices and cucumber slices with a little salt
  • ehju0901
    When tomatoes are ripe/local and in best form, I love them on their own. Yesterday I just sliced one and sprinkled "everything bagel topping" (available from TJs or Aldi or a bunch of other places now) on top and it was [chef's kiss]!
    Today I'm out of tomatoes so am doing the same with a cucumber. Maybe tomorrow I'll live on the edge and have both tomato and cucumber. :)
    Sounds boring, but it's tasty and couldn't be any lower in calories!

Hmmm everything bagel seasoning? I have some of that on hand, maybe I’ll try it out! I usually put it on hard boiled eggs.
  • carolhemma087
    carolhemma087 Posts: 16 Member
    I like to cut up cucumbers an jicama very thin an add just a little bit of buffalo salsa to them. Makes a great afternoon snack.
  • navygrma
    navygrma Posts: 1 Member
    I slice up tomatoes and cucumber for snack. Dip cucumbers in a little lite marzette ranch dip (60 cal) yummy
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,476 Member
    https://www.skinnytaste.com/greek-pasta-salad/

I had this for dinner with tomatoes, cucumber, and oregano from my garden.
  • joone_9
    joone_9 Posts: 152 Member
    Just made what I call a caprese type salad. Cherry tomatoes, micro basil (all I could find), fresh mozzarella and drizzled with a bit of balsamic glaze. Super low cal and so so so good!
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,551 Member
    I've recently started making Sichuan smashed cucumber salads.
    https://www.chinasichuanfood.com/smashed-cucumber-salad/
  • denisemlarnder
    denisemlarnder Posts: 14 Member
    edited July 2021
    I like making my own pickles! Bring 1 cup water, 1 cup white vinegar, and up to 2 tbsp of salt to a boil. Slice and pack your cukes into a jar with up to 3 garlic cloves and plenty of fresh or dried dill, then pour the hot brine over it, close, and put in the fridge! It takes about a day for everything to soak in. Tastes WAY better than the dill pickles you get at the store, plus it'll be free of that nasty yellow dye. If you like sweet pickles, you can add some sugar or sugar substitute too! Oh, and you can pickle pretty much anything, not just cucumbers!
  • MaggieGirl135
    MaggieGirl135 Posts: 975 Member
    As an earlier person said , make a caprese salad. I started adding cucumber slices in mine a couple months ago, to lower the calorie count per serving.