Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

How do people on the Biggest Loser workout so long?

2»

Replies

• lokihen
    lokihen Posts: 382 Member
    I'm surprised to hear they are still making TBL. I thought the ratings fell off years ago.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    I think they stopped for a while and restarted.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    I don't do the intense exercise that many of you do, but even with my little chair exercises with 5 pound dumbbells, I find that I have LESS hunger/craving than when I don't do the workout. It doesn't make me extra hungry. Maybe that's because a lot of my "hunger" is really boredom or anxiety that the exercise helps me cope with.

Who knows. If I don’t exercise I crash regularly. Cardio improves things, but strength training really helps. If I stop the crashes come back after about 3 weeks. No idea what it is, but it’s brought on by too little carbs.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,889 Member
    I don't do the intense exercise that many of you do, but even with my little chair exercises with 5 pound dumbbells, I find that I have LESS hunger/craving than when I don't do the workout. It doesn't make me extra hungry. Maybe that's because a lot of my "hunger" is really boredom or anxiety that the exercise helps me cope with.

Yes, I find mild-moderate exercise to be a mild appetite suppressant. I used to always get the afternoon munchies at work until I created the habit of getting some form of exercise at lunch.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Yes, I find mild-moderate exercise to be a mild appetite suppressant. I used to always get the afternoon munchies at work until I created the habit of getting some form of exercise at lunch.

Me too. Always have.
  • thisvickyruns
    thisvickyruns Posts: 193 Member
    lokihen wrote: »
    I'm surprised to hear they are still making TBL. I thought the ratings fell off years ago.

Yeah I thought they stopped after a load of stories about contestants being given appetite suppressants and stuff came out?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    lokihen wrote: »

Yeah I thought they stopped after a load of stories about contestants being given appetite suppressants and stuff came out?

They rebranded themselves as a show about wellness, but my understanding is that nothing changed except for some window dressing (I haven't seen the new episodes, basing this on descriptions).
  • wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    edited June 2021
    I think hunger/not with exercise kind of depends on consistency and also duration and all sorts of personal things. If I go for a run and my heart rate is up I'm pretty sure most of my blood flow is going to the parts being worked hard, and not my digestion, and endorphins seem to quash my appetite too. Also this only applies to short, faster runs (5K or so).

If I do a slowish 10 mile hike, I'm not going to be hungry immediately after or during but I am going to want to eat roughly half a cow an hour or two later (Or that evening).

• ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    tsazani wrote: »
    It's just another ridiculously stupid TV show. I've never seen it.

Exercise has little or nothing to do with losing FAT. That's done by DIET a/o FASTING.

Higher intensity exercise causes stress which releases cortisol and spikes sugar.

The sugar rush will spike your insulin putting your body into fat storage mode. You will be very hungry and overeat carbohydrates.

Hmm, can't imagine how I dropped a size without even trying while in Costa Rica and eating high sugar mangos and other tropical fruit all day long as well as high carb rice & beans twice per day...

Same only not even as healthy as mango. I'm down 45lbs from obese to healthy and my food yesterday included a bag of chips and a candy bar. The candy bar at points has been DAILY.

Weird, weird, weird. Guess we're magic.

Can you feel your horn growing little unicorn? :smiley:
  • JessD9031
    JessD9031 Posts: 581 Member
    Please don't tell me you believe that the Biggest Loser is a real thing?

Its Jersey Shore for the food obsessed.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    JessD9031 wrote: »
    Please don't tell me you believe that the Biggest Loser is a real thing?

Its Jersey Shore for the food obsessed.

tenor.gif?itemid=12446406
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,889 Member
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    tsazani wrote: »
    It's just another ridiculously stupid TV show. I've never seen it.

Exercise has little or nothing to do with losing FAT. That's done by DIET a/o FASTING.

Higher intensity exercise causes stress which releases cortisol and spikes sugar.

The sugar rush will spike your insulin putting your body into fat storage mode. You will be very hungry and overeat carbohydrates.

Hmm, can't imagine how I dropped a size without even trying while in Costa Rica and eating high sugar mangos and other tropical fruit all day long as well as high carb rice & beans twice per day...

Same only not even as healthy as mango. I'm down 45lbs from obese to healthy and my food yesterday included a bag of chips and a candy bar. The candy bar at points has been DAILY.

Weird, weird, weird. Guess we're magic.

Can you feel your horn growing little unicorn? :smiley:

Yes! I felt it today while doing yoga!

Oh, that was just a barrette :(
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,675 Member
    One thing they didn't stress when they were filming the older BL seasons but turned up fairly often was the fact that several of the contestants ended up injured early in the season by doing too much too soon. They generally ended up going home fairly early in the series because they couldn't lose as much weight when they were doing non-impact exercise as those who were able to work out without injury. Trying to work out for several hours a day when your body isn't used to it is often a recipe for injury, even when you're surrounded by trainers and medical staff. It was one of the things I held against the show, though I watched several seasons.