June 2021 Monthly Running Challenge

Replies

• sweetdaisy13
    sweetdaisy13 Posts: 357 Member
    @Scott6255 Reading your post about seeing a Coyote during your run makes me glad that I live in the United Kingdom.

Most of the runs I do are trail/mountain and luckily no Coyotes for us, just plenty of Sheep, Cows, the occasional Fox and Mountain Hare.
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    shanaber wrote: »
    It is late and I was catching up, just reading through and thought I would post this for @penguinmama87 and anyone else wanting to understand speedwork. I will go back in the morning and comment more...

These are descriptions I got from the Hal Higdon training plans (10K, Half Marathon, Marathon) and I think they are good, especially for a novice and/or anyone who doesn't have a HRM or know what their zones are. When I was first doing all my training (pre pacemaker) my HR was so low I did not fit into any of the normal HR zones and could never figure out where I should be. I was eventually able to calculate something but I found, for me it wasn't terribly effective.
    These particular descriptions are from the HM training plans... but could be applicable to anyone, you can reduce the number of intervals to what fits for where you are today and then add as you improve or can handle more. I used my watch to alert me when I covered the distance but I didn't care if the distance was exact. You could also make the distances shorter but 400 meters seems to be about the right distance.

An interval workout usually consists of fast repeats separated by walking or jogging (the actual “interval” between). The program begins with 5 x 400 meters in the first week and adds one more 400 every other week to reach 10 x 400 meters the week before your half marathon. Walk or jog during the interval between each repeat.

Tempo Runs: This is a continuous run with a buildup in the middle. A Tempo Run of 30 to 45 minutes would begin with 10-15 minutes easy running, shifting smoothly into an acceleration of 15-20 minutes near the middle, then 5-10 minutes easy toward the end. The pace buildup should be gradual, not sudden, with peak speed coming about two-thirds into the workout. Hold that peak only for a minute or two. The times prescribed for Tempo Runs serve mainly as rough guidelines. Feel free to improvise. Improvisation is the heart of doing a Tempo Run correctly.

This is perfect timing because I was curious about how long a tempo run should be!
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    6-1 7k tempo
    6-2 rest
    6-3 7k tempo
    6-4 6k tempo
    6-5 7k tempo
    6-6 6k tempo
    6-7 rest
    6-8 7k tempo
    6-9 6k tempo
    6-10 rest

June Total: 46k
    June Goal: 150k

Hooray for rest day today, with golf instead of running.
    I'm already tired of summer and it hasn't even officially started.

When you pop in here claiming your December 2021 mileage, what accomplishments will you have made?

PUT THE FUN BACK IN THE RUN!
    Return to a good running weight of 175 lbs (second attempt)

2021 Races:

6/26 Direction Up 5k, Solon, OH
    7/17 Run of the Ox 5k, Mantua, OH
    9/18 5k Run and Roll, Aurora, OH
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited June 2021
    6/1 - 3.36 miles, easy effort (45 mins Z2)
    6/2 - 3.23 miles, tempo run (25 mins Z4 w/7.5 min warm-up/cool-down)
    6/3 - 3.32 miles, easy effort (45 mins Z2)
    6/4 - 3.35 miles, sprint intervals (12 x 45 secs w/1:45 recovery and 7.5 min warm-up/cool-down)
    6/6 - 6.76 miles, long run (90 mins Z2, 5 mins Z3)
    6/7 - 3.36 miles, easy effort (45 mins Z2)
    6/8 - 3.33 miles, easy effort (45 mins Z2)
    6/9 - 3.63 miles, tempo run (30 mins Z4 w/7.5 min warm-up/cool-down)
    6/10 - 3.40 miles, easy effort (45 mins Z2)

Total: 33.74 miles
    Goal: 105 miles

Is it hot lately, or is it just me?
  • polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    shanaber wrote: »
    It is late and I was catching up, just reading through and thought I would post this for @penguinmama87 and anyone else wanting to understand speedwork. I will go back in the morning and comment more...

These are descriptions I got from the Hal Higdon training plans (10K, Half Marathon, Marathon) and I think they are good, especially for a novice and/or anyone who doesn't have a HRM or know what their zones are. When I was first doing all my training (pre pacemaker) my HR was so low I did not fit into any of the normal HR zones and could never figure out where I should be. I was eventually able to calculate something but I found, for me it wasn't terribly effective.
    These particular descriptions are from the HM training plans... but could be applicable to anyone, you can reduce the number of intervals to what fits for where you are today and then add as you improve or can handle more. I used my watch to alert me when I covered the distance but I didn't care if the distance was exact. You could also make the distances shorter but 400 meters seems to be about the right distance.

An interval workout usually consists of fast repeats separated by walking or jogging (the actual “interval” between). The program begins with 5 x 400 meters in the first week and adds one more 400 every other week to reach 10 x 400 meters the week before your half marathon. Walk or jog during the interval between each repeat.

Tempo Runs: This is a continuous run with a buildup in the middle. A Tempo Run of 30 to 45 minutes would begin with 10-15 minutes easy running, shifting smoothly into an acceleration of 15-20 minutes near the middle, then 5-10 minutes easy toward the end. The pace buildup should be gradual, not sudden, with peak speed coming about two-thirds into the workout. Hold that peak only for a minute or two. The times prescribed for Tempo Runs serve mainly as rough guidelines. Feel free to improvise. Improvisation is the heart of doing a Tempo Run correctly.

Thanks for posting this - it's what I wanted to write/copy/paste but didn't have time.
    Hal Higdon's training plans and advice are great (and if you don't need the interactive version, FREE!). On his more advanced plans, he prescribes specific speed work each week, which can give you ideas even if you don't do the whole plan. A good, appropriately hard speed workout once a week can do wonders! Consider your current goal distances, and take a look at his plans for that distance. (Internet search "Hal Higdon [distance]")

Oh one note: different training "camps" have different definitions for Tempo Run. For some it is a run at a harder pace sustained the entire time.

Honestly, how you do it isn't as important as just actually doing it regularly. I personally would say weekly. Fartlek - speed play - can be done anywhere. You decide how long the intervals will be based on whatever you want (telephone poles, pavement markings, songs, hills, etc). I've even taken the C25K intervals and done them as an easy run instead of the "walk", and a fast run for the "run" intervals. Have fun with it!
  • martaindale
    martaindale Posts: 2,029 Member
    @rheddmobile You have had a lot thrown at you lately. Here's hoping that a bit of good luck or at least a little relief is headed your way. You are showing some serious commitment to keep it up through all of this and I'm sure your mental health thanks you!