Ideas for 2min cardio intervals that are low impact?

Hi all, I am hoping suggestions for low impact cardio intervals that will still be effective and get my heart rate on going please?
I enjoy doing cardio intervals as part of my home dvd workouts (30 day shred, ripped in 30)
However, I have arthritis in my 1st MTP joint (big toe joint) which has got steadily worse and is now pretty painful. It means that I can't do most of the high impact cardio intervals in the dvds because they hurt too much, so I am looking for some suggestions for other exercises I can sub in just for the 2 min cardio intervals.
I can't do high impact - anything with bouncing or jumps, even running on the spot or high knees makes me sore.
I also cannot do anything where the weight is on toes/ball of foot, so no pushups/burpees/mountain climbers/plank jacks.

Does anyone have any suggestions for 2 min cardio intervals that will get my heart pumping but won't hurt my foot? I have no equipment except a set of hand weights and a stretchy band thing. So far the only thing I can think of is punches and kicks.

Thanks so much in advance to anyone who can help :)

Replies

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,329 Member
    edited June 2021
    Shadow boxing? very fast over and unders: imagine you stand at a hip high horizontal pole blocking your way. You swing one leg over, then the other, then you decide to go back, below it: bend down in knees and hips, one leg to front, then the other, stand up, repeat. Can you do kick overs? Face back of chair, high kick over back with left leg to left, then with right leg. Then right leg to right, and left leg follows. Repeat.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,706 Member
    I also have arthritis in those toe joints.

My main cardio is cycling, but I also run outside or on the treadmill.

Do you have or can you get a bicycle and/or good quality running shoes?
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,668 Member
    Boxing, high knees and kicks, fast marching in place, stairs or steps, cycling,
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,451 Member
    Get a set of battle ropes.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • SnifterPug
    SnifterPug Posts: 746 Member
    Shadow boxing will get your heart racing.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    I guess Wu Tang is well represented in here.
  • dusty_demolition
    dusty_demolition Posts: 27 Member
    Cycling sprints
  • cute_ellie
    cute_ellie Posts: 6 Member
    Thanks for the answers.
    I am specifically looking for 2 mins intervals that I can sub into videos in place of things like jumping jacks, and burpees
    so although I can swim and cycle they aren't what I need for this particular situation.
    I can't do high knees, it's way too painful for my feet. I also can't run, I have several pairs of running shoes and despite getting the ones recommended for my condition I am now at the stage where even walking is sore so running is a no go sadly.
    I can do boxing and kicks, and I will give the over- under things a go.
    I've not ever seen battle ropes in use, will have a look at those too.

Thanks for the suggestions so far, much appreciated.
  • cute_ellie
    Ooh, I've just checked out battle ropes and they look good. The possible catch is that I am working out in my living room and they look like they need a fair amount of space!
  • AKTipsyCat
    AKTipsyCat Posts: 240 Member
    https://www.dynamicsc.com/blog/The-9-BEST-Cardio-Exercises-for-Bad-Joints the medicine ball slams and mountain climbers looked like a good option...
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Squats
    Jumping jacks - modified by only going out one side at a time.
    You can always do things like burpees, mountain climbers, and so on SLOWER.

• Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Rowing machine would be a decent choice.

Cycling, assault bike, are also good.

It really depends on what equipment ypu have available.

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    A Chris Freytag YouTube work out called Walking Cardio Shape Up should give you some ideas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nm0C8awjNIQ

It's also a circuit workout like 30DS, but Chris has a much more pleasant personality.
  • cute_ellie
    kenyonhaff wrote: »
    Squats
    Jumping jacks - modified by only going out one side at a time.
    You can always do things like burpees, mountain climbers, and so on SLOWER.

Thank you but actually slower doesn't help, Its the position of the joint that I can't tolerate rather than the impact for these exercises. I can't do a plank any more either for the same reason and only pressups on my knees so no weight on my toes.
  • cute_ellie
    TeaBea wrote: »
    A Chris Freytag YouTube work out called Walking Cardio Shape Up should give you some ideas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nm0C8awjNIQ

It's also a circuit workout like 30DS, but Chris has a much more pleasant personality.

Thanks, thats really helpful.
    Smiling to Myself about the personality, my kids do think it's hilarious when Jillian yells the 'I want you to feel like you're gonna diiiiieeeee"
  • cute_ellie
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    Rowing machine would be a decent choice.

Cycling, assault bike, are also good.

It really depends on what equipment ypu have available.

I have small hand weights, a stretchy exercise band thing, and a pilates ball.
    In my lounge. This is why I do videos, because I don't have space or money for equipment unfortunately.
  • bebeisfit
    bebeisfit Posts: 951 Member
    I have the same issue with high impact. And I've done those JM videos in the past.

Using your arms more should raise your heart rate. I'm thinking old school aerobic class where you go up and down with your arms while marching. Raising arms straight up then halfway to the side. Arm circles with a small dumbell or can of soup if your dymbell is too heavy. I also do the boxing (pretend its a speed bag with my arms elevated).

This may be more ab work, but it wears me out..use sliders..you can use paper plates on carpet or small towels on hardwood floors. Do it on your knees with perfect form. Put your hand on the slider/towel in plank position ( on knees). I'm not explaining properly but check YouTube for a slider routine and modify to your knees.

My gym has those battle ropes and they are awesome, but they are big n heavy and you do need a good 12-15 feet of space. And they make a lot of noise so not a good fit if you're in an apartment.

Good luck.