Garden thread

Replies

• lx1x
    lx1x Posts: 38,308 Member
    Maybe you should sell the basil; have you seen the price of fresh herbs in the stores??
    I've never grown herbs but you're making me rethink that. :)

Will go in back alley and start selling em..

"Hey bro want good herbs" ๐Ÿ˜†
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    lx1x wrote: ยป
    Maybe you should sell the basil; have you seen the price of fresh herbs in the stores??
    I've never grown herbs but you're making me rethink that. :)

Will go in back alley and start selling em..

"Hey bro want good herbs" ๐Ÿ˜†

Still might make more selling as straight basil. :)
    Course IDK, been awhile since I bought good herbs.
  • lx1x
    20u9t1v4dvpw.jpeg

A gift!๐ŸŽ Marygold seeds. Iโ€™m going to plant some of these today and about four varieties of sunflowers.๐Ÿ˜Š Later in the season, I love to see my sunflowers as I drive up the road, it almost seems like theyโ€™re saying welcome home!๐Ÿ‘‹๐Ÿฝ๐ŸŒป And itโ€™s been raining the last few days so my plants are happily growing!๐ŸŒฑ Iโ€™ll try to post some of their selfies later sometime.๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Wow.. that's a lot.. you can plant your whole city.. ๐Ÿ˜†
  • Ironwoman1111
    Ironwoman1111 Posts: 3,913 Member
    @lx1x wrote: ยป
    20u9t1v4dvpw.jpeg

A gift!๐ŸŽ Marygold seeds. Iโ€™m going to plant some of these today and about four varieties of sunflowers.๐Ÿ˜Š Later in the season, I love to see my sunflowers as I drive up the road, it almost seems like theyโ€™re saying welcome home!๐Ÿ‘‹๐Ÿฝ๐ŸŒป And itโ€™s been raining the last few days so my plants are happily growing!๐ŸŒฑ Iโ€™ll try to post some of their selfies later sometime.๐Ÿ˜ƒ

๐Ÿ˜‚ Do you want some? I think theyโ€™ll last me awhile.
  • lx1x
    20u9t1v4dvpw.jpeg

At this time. I'm planted out.. too many plants .. running out of space . ๐Ÿ˜‚
  • Ironwoman1111
    edited June 2021
    20u9t1v4dvpw.jpeg

At this time. I'm planted out.. too many plants .. running out of space . ๐Ÿ˜‚

Same here! I ran out of space to plant them but I couldnโ€™t let them die! Yes, Iโ€™m officially a plant hoarder!๐Ÿคฆ๐Ÿฝโ€โ™€๏ธ๐Ÿ˜†
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    20u9t1v4dvpw.jpeg

You could be like Johnny Appleseed only with ummm.... marigolds. :) Lots of them.
  • pabmac
    pabmac Posts: 53 Member
    20u9t1v4dvpw.jpeg

Wow thatโ€™s a ton of marigolds!! ๐Ÿ™‚ your garden is going to be gorgeous!
  • Ironwoman1111
    20u9t1v4dvpw.jpeg

You could be like Johnny Appleseed only with ummm.... marigolds. :) Lots of them.

Thatโ€™s a cute idea!๐Ÿ˜€๐ŸŒผ๐ŸŒฟ
    Iโ€™m on some of the Fitbit gardening groups too and thereโ€™s a woman there that takes wildflowers seeds when she goes on walks.
    I like it!๐Ÿ˜‰๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿฝ
  • Ironwoman1111
    20u9t1v4dvpw.jpeg

Wow thatโ€™s a ton of marigolds!! ๐Ÿ™‚ your garden is going to be gorgeous!

I hope so!๐Ÿคž๐Ÿฝ๐Ÿ˜€
  • SuzanneC1l9zz
    SuzanneC1l9zz Posts: 451 Member
    So as I mentioned, I'm in zone 3 so my veggie bed is just sprouting. I have kale. I have carrots. I have beans. I have one thing that's definitely a beet and a whole bunch of "eehh... you could potentially be a beet... I'm gonna weed around you for a bit and see." And I have a feeling I need to re-plant my Swiss chard ๐Ÿ˜•
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,846 Member
    So as I mentioned, I'm in zone 3 so my veggie bed is just sprouting. I have kale. I have carrots. I have beans. I have one thing that's definitely a beet and a whole bunch of "eehh... you could potentially be a beet... I'm gonna weed around you for a bit and see." And I have a feeling I need to re-plant my Swiss chard ๐Ÿ˜•

@SuzanneC1l9zz: wow, here in zone 6b my mind is boggling at the challenge of growing veggies up there!

Do you have any perennials? Looks like you can do chives, but not scallions.

My strawberries are at peak and I am so loving them! My first search said strawberries need zone 5, but then I found this page which has suggestions for varieties for zone 2 and 3, plus 27 other hardy fruits:

https://www.shiftingroots.com/hardy-fruits-grow-zone-2-3/
  • kshama2001
    edited June 2021
    Herbs in pots are doing well. been harvesting too much basil ...might have to give some away to coworkers.. ๐Ÿ˜†

Pesto freezes beautifully, just so you know in case you have a freezer. Jam jars are a nice size, or the 1-cup tempered glass bowls with plastic snap lid. When we grew lots of basil, I'd freeze many jars of it, give them to folks as part of their Christmas present, and we'd eat it all Winter long ourselves as a nice treat. While one can't microwave it to thaw quickly (the parmesan gets weird), it thaws very quickly if one puts the frozen jar in a dish of warm/hot tap water. If in canning-type jam jars, the jars will take that hot/cold stress OK, too.

Yes, pesto does freeze beautifully. For a while every AM for breakfast I had home made pesto on toast topped by a sunny side up egg. It's just me eating the pesto so I used the small (2.5 oz) plastic containers that the duck sauce from Chinese restaurants comes in.

If I blanched the basil very quickly, like 3 sec, the pesto would stay greener before and after the freezer. The basil taste would be a little less sharp, which could be a good or bad thing.
  • kshama2001
    20u9t1v4dvpw.jpeg

If you have a local gardening group on Facebook you could likely move quite a few of them there :)

I used to use Freecycle for excess plants, but FB is working better.
  • pabmac
    pabmac Posts: 53 Member
    Hereโ€™s a plant update! The beans are too yellow (along with many other things) weโ€™ve had a bit of trouble stemming from some bad soil we got this year, but things are looking better for the most part. We just amended with some blood meal for nitrogen and hopefully that helps!
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 12,943 Member
    @pabmac

Looks like maybe you're giving them too much water. That can cause yellow for sure.