So I jogged today

nasr25
nasr25 Posts: 214 Member
edited June 2021 in Health and Weight Loss
And I didn’t feel pain. Ok maybe a little chin pain but I never jog so I thought maybe that was normal. I am actually happy about this 😀. I literally jogged for maybe three minutes. Let me tell you why this is such a big deal to me. I have had back pain since I was a kid. I remember crawling on the floor as a teen from such horrible pain and doctors could not figure out the cause. So because of this I have always been horrified of running even when I was a healthy weight a few years ago and active. I mainly focused on weightlifting and walking. But today I had zero back pain and I felt like I was gonna cry. I never thought I would one day to be able to run and I can’t believe the feeling. I felt free.

Now please everyone who is a jogger tell me what I would need to improve my jogging abilities. I have zero knowledge on what I need. Do I need some special shoes that would take pressure off my joints? I am 260 pounds at the moment. Or maybe I should hold off until I lose a little bit more weight.

Replies

• snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    I have never been too overweight so those tips will have to come from those who have experience, but I jog and can tell you that the right shoes are essential. Go to a sports store and get fitted--it will be the best investment you've ever made. Next, start slow, don't try to go too far or too fast. Build up in increments. As you know, injuries set you back. Enjoy the experience. Doing something that you enjoy means that you'll keep doing it. Good luck and hope your back pain stays away.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,329 Member
    Yes, I second C25K. I also heard good things about none to 5k, but have not tested it.
    When you start running the most important two things are:
    * rest days. Don't run every day. Your body needs to regenerate even if it was just 3 minutes
    * Don't run too fast. Find a pace where you can still talk even if it feels ridiculously slow. You will eventually get faster. As such chose a programme that works in distance, not time. Thus an app that tells you to for example run 300m, not one that tells you to run for 1 minute if possible as 5km is of course also a distance.
    * Oh, and if your current shoes give you problems then start looking for alternatives.
  • KevHex
    KevHex Posts: 256 Member
    You can run slowly at a higher weight, but take it easy, your body needs time to adapt to the new stresses you are putting on it. When I was just over 280lbs I would run (very slowly) for 1 mile and stop. There was a time when I started running that I just ran 100m, then walked 100m, and repeated this until I reached a mile.

I repeated this every 2nd day for 8 weeks. If you find you get sore ankles or knees just take an extra day off and do some light stretching. Looking after yourself between runs is just as important as running itself. You can evaluate where you are in 8 weeks and see if running is for you - your body will certainly adapt to running over this period.

Just keep your running pace very easy to start, don't worry about running plans for a couple of months, just ease in to it.
  • nasr25
    I do have some shoes that I bought specifically for walking but when I look up running shoes they seem to have much more shock absorption.
  • KevHex
    KevHex Posts: 256 Member
    If you are going to run slowly for 1 mile, then the shoes may be fine for now, but if you have a shop near you that can advise you then it might be worth a visit. Correct shoes will make a big difference, but don't let that halt your momentum.
  • TinaLeigh67
    TinaLeigh67 Posts: 669 Member
    I agree with the previous posts. Shoes do matter and the C25K app is great. I used it years ago to start running and then advanced to the next level but had to stop when I needed knee surgery. I am just now starting again and using it. Congratulations on your successful first attempt.
  • plzfeedmecookies
    plzfeedmecookies Posts: 7 Member
    A running-specialty store can evaluate your running and select the best shoe. They vary with how your foot hits the ground (pronate/neutral/etc).
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,515 Member
    Well, the most important thing is that it jazzed you up! Whatever does that must be good!

I think the baseline is always getting your walking to be really strong. This helps to avoid injury and works all the same muscles as jogging/running, which is much harder on your body. It's a good baseline goal to be able to walk for a full hour at a pace above 3mph (below 20mm). You can throw in a few short jogs during your walks as much as you want or can. If you get sore, cross train on stationary bike, elliptical, or some other low-impact exercise.

See the book "Run, Walk, Run" by Galloway.

PS Good running shoes are great for running and walking. It really does help to go to a good running store and get some guidance. Just remember that they aren't magic and don't solve every problem. (Despite marketing. Too bad!)
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    edited June 2021
    nasr25 wrote: »
    I do have some shoes that I bought specifically for walking but when I look up running shoes they seem to have much more shock absorption.

Frankly they will do nothing for shock absorption compared to running correctly with good form and what your legs can do if you land right.

Run barefoot on some grass for about 20 ft and note how you land on your feet and what you do with your knees, ect. Then imitate that in shoes.

You'll likely notice you did not land on your heels.

No shoes are going to take pressure off your joints in the manner it sounds like you think they will.

Ditto's to run/walk/run.

Congrats on it seeming to be possible now, and thinking ahead to doing it right.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,394 Member

Break into a run, why not, when your walking gets so fast you feel like celebrating.

Walk/run/walk and let your exuberance of the moment increase your run sections naturally as you lose weight.

While still obese or very overweight I was more cautious with my joints than I am now... and they were taking care of reminding me to be!
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,344 Member
    I know exactly how you feel. The last time I ran was at 12, for the Presidents Physical fitness test. I lagged so far behind they had packed everything up and were impatiently tapping their feet for me to finish.

I never ran again til 57. The first time I got a mile, I was sobbing. With joy. It was so freeing.

I’m the same way on a bike. I grin like the Cheshire Cat because it’s such a joy to ride my bike.

I’ve since transitioned to power walking because I’m so clumsy I kept tangling feet while running and having bad falls.

Anyway, going to the local running store and being professionally fitted was game changing. They will have you run in a short track in the store, record your stride in slow motion and analyze how your feet hit, ankles roll, etc. Then they suggest shoes appropriate for your style. I found they run about $20-40 more than online, but it was actually cheaper because I don’t have a guilt closet full of ill fitting shoes I won’t wear.

I buy every second pair on Amazon (last years colors tend to be cheaper), but get a new pair or two locally every year.

The other thing they suggested was socks. I tried several, but Balega are amazing. You’d never think a sock would make such a difference in comfort but Balega is to Fruit of the Loom what a Bentley is to a Pinto. I know it sounds silly, but I look forward to them every time I put them on my feet, they are that comfortable.

Yes, they are expensive. But they will last far longer than Hanes or Fruit of the Loom with care. I wash mine on gentle and air dry them.

If, like me, you have any painful chafing issues with body parts rubbing or blistering , get a Glide stick. It does on like a deodorant stick and solved my problem immediately. The chafing, btw, will resolve with weight loss.

My last advice, as a very late developing slow-poke runner/power walker, don’t start too enthusiastically. And if your knee talks to you, listen, and give it a few days off.
  • nasr25
    I know exactly how you feel. The last time I ran was at 12, for the Presidents Physical fitness test. I lagged so far behind they had packed everything up and were impatiently tapping their feet for me to finish.

I never ran again til 57. The first time I got a mile, I was sobbing. With joy. It was so freeing.

I’m the same way on a bike. I grin like the Cheshire Cat because it’s such a joy to ride my bike.

I’ve since transitioned to power walking because I’m so clumsy I kept tangling feet while running and having bad falls.

Anyway, going to the local running store and being professionally fitted was game changing. They will have you run in a short track in the store, record your stride in slow motion and analyze how your feet hit, ankles roll, etc. Then they suggest shoes appropriate for your style. I found they run about $20-40 more than online, but it was actually cheaper because I don’t have a guilt closet full of ill fitting shoes I won’t wear.

I buy every second pair on Amazon (last years colors tend to be cheaper), but get a new pair or two locally every year.

The other thing they suggested was socks. I tried several, but Balega are amazing. You’d never think a sock would make such a difference in comfort but Balega is to Fruit of the Loom what a Bentley is to a Pinto. I know it sounds silly, but I look forward to them every time I put them on my feet, they are that comfortable.

Yes, they are expensive. But they will last far longer than Hanes or Fruit of the Loom with care. I wash mine on gentle and air dry them.

If, like me, you have any painful chafing issues with body parts rubbing or blistering , get a Glide stick. It does on like a deodorant stick and solved my problem immediately. The chafing, btw, will resolve with weight loss.

My last advice, as a very late developing slow-poke runner/power walker, don’t start too enthusiastically. And if your knee talks to you, listen, and give it a few days off.

Thank you for the info on the socks will check them out. I will be buying some running shoes and get fitted some time soon but want to get the feeling of running first. I did complete my first run today 🥳🥳wasn’t very long but it was amazing. I am extremely happy at this moments. No pain thankfully just calves burning but that’s normal lol.