Macros vs Calories??

Hey all,
My names Mike I'm 5'11 290 and 37 yoa. I am currently stregth training with my goal being to be lean and strong. I was following a 2500 calorie diet and not losing, shouldn't I be losing being how big I am? Then I started macros and quite frankly I have no idea if it's any better! Any advice would help a ton. thanks my goal is to be around 210-220lbs

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    How long were you on 2,500 without losing?

When done appropriately, macro counting is just a more involved way to count calories (as fat, carbohydrates, and protein all have a certain amount of calories per gram). Some people prefer it because they find that specific macro goals either make it easier for them to hit their calorie target or meet their fitness goals, but at the end of the day weight loss will be caused by a calorie deficit.
  • BiGxComfYx
    BiGxComfYx Posts: 4 Member
    I was doing it for about a month before being discouraged. Macros seem harder for me due to the protein 200+ grams is hard to hit without drinking 3 protein shakes a day
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,937 Member
    If you were actually eating 2500 a day consistently then yes you would have lost some weight.

Try logging food accurately for a while, I bet you'll be surprised at how much more you were eating:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1234699/logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide/p1

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10012907/logging-accuracy-consistency-and-youre-probably-eating-more-than-you-think/p1
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Weight management is about calories. Macros are what make up your calories...ie 4 calories per gram of carbohydrate, 4 calories per gram of protein, and 9 calories per gram of dietary fat.

Your macros don't really matter for weight management...they can make a difference in performance, satiety, and to some extent body composition.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,937 Member
    edited June 2021
    200g of protein is going to be a bit of a struggle on 2500 calories, yeah.

Why did you choose that number for protein?

How about going into Myfitnesspal's Goals, (MY HOME > Goals) choose the Guided setup, and sett your weight loss at one pound per week (or 1.5 would be okay) - set your Activity Level as honestly as you can, and see what the macros are for you. The site goal defaults are 50% Carbs, 30% Fat and 20% Protein.

https://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/my_goals
    If you want a bit more protein, you can go to Goals and change your ratios to 40% Carbs, 30% Fat and 30% Protein. That's a good weight-loss split that a lot of people find effective, muscle-sparing, and easy to achieve with a normal meal plan and a reasonable rate of loss.

• Onedaywriter
    Onedaywriter Posts: 324 Member
    Hi Mike

At your height and weight the “calculated” weight loss without any working out would have been about 2 pounds in a month at 2500 calories. Barely noticeable on a scale depending on hydration etc on start day and weigh day.

You don’t say how often or how long you strength train- but my guess is that you’re overestimating the effect. Strength training calorie consumption is very dependent on the workout itself. Long rest between sets, doing low reps/high weight etc burn fewer calories than short rests and high reps. Even some movements burn way less than others. For example plank holds burn almost no extra calories but are quite intense after a while.

Seems like you need to either increase calories out, or decrease calories in to see a faster effect. Maybe adjust workouts to be a little more full body movement based, incorporate some cardio or interval training and adjust calories down a little. Macro counting shouldn’t be first and foremost until you dial in the calories.
  • LisaGetsMoving
    LisaGetsMoving Posts: 664 Member
    The simplest route is to cut your current calories in by 250-300 and watch to see what happens over several weeks or month. Personally, I wouldn't worry about macros just yet until you've dialed in the CICO part and start to see a slow but consistent loss. I would focus on finding good meals, workouts and routines that fit into a lifestyle you can comfortably maintain.
  • BiGxComfYx
    Hey all,
    Thanks for the feedback! I deleted my first response so here goes again. I chose that protein number because the low carb macro choice provided it for me and the default macro is for maintaining weight. I'm strength training 3-4 times a week but for only two weeks (just built a gym in my basement). I have decreased my calorie in to 2k a day. I am very picky and trying not to love bad food but it's hard. Thanks again
  • BiGxComfYx
    btw I am using an app called fitbod which I tell my gym equipment and my goals and it breaks down a routine for me so far they have been high rep low break time exercises.