60 yrs and up

Replies

• sparrow152
    sparrow152 Posts: 9 Member
    @AnnPT77 That looks like so much fun and what a beautiful day. Blessings on the eye surgery.
  • Tuppence26
    Tuppence26 Posts: 143 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: Β»
    So great to be seeing so many new over-60 participants here lately. I'm always paranoid when I mention this that I'll overlook someone new (apologies if so!), but lately I've noticed @dejavuohlala, @mh1960/Maggie, @DitzyDeb1, @bren5535, @sparrow152. Glad you - and any other new folks - are here: Hoping to hear continuing progress reports!

In my world, recent fun is helping out with my club's learn to row class. Photo is me (in orange) stabilizing my double shell (my oar blades flat on water as stabilizers) so that a new learner can practice and improve her rowing skills. (I edited the photo to hide her face because I don't have her permission to do otherwise). I just love helping introduce new people to rowing, especially when they're in our age group, and trying it out for the first time. (The woman in the photo is younger, 30s/40s probably, but some in the class are around our age. Hope I'll get to row with some of them later in the month.)

xaq0b6ru21ad.jpg

On the more irritating front, though small potatoes, an eye surgery I was supposed to have this week (pars plana vitrectomy) got deferred because of the doctor's schedule, so I'm back in wait mode to hope for better vision in my left eye (currently 20/150!). I'll have to take at least a week off regular activity (like rowing) after the surgery, which is a major drag especially during on-water rowing season, but at this point I'm impatient to get the surgery out of the way, see if it helps.

• Tuppence26
    Great photo. In these times of limited travel, it’s great to see photos of everyone’s hometown.. travelling vicariously πŸ‘‹πŸ»πŸ‘‹πŸ»πŸ‘‹πŸ» Thank you for your thoughts, Ann and I hear what you are saying. Just not sure if I am patient enough. πŸ’πŸ»β€β™€οΈπŸ’πŸ»β€β™€οΈ
  • Tuppence26
    Hello?? Where is everyone?πŸ’πŸ»β€β™€οΈHope the calorie counts are going well and everyone is managing some exercise. I have added a fast to my routine, it has helped heaps with bloating prob.
  • Tuppence26
    I'm thinking about joining our community pool Water Exercise program. I just received my online order for new women's Board Shorts, and the additional (new style for me) long sleeved Swim Shirt. At 60+, I realize that sun protection is important, as well as my refusing to feel uneasy about wearing ill-fitting swimwear. So, I'm sticking to my comfortable Board Shorts, and adding the component of a Swim Shirt (UPF 50). B)

• Tuppence26
    Hey, sounds perfect. Comfort, physical and emotional is paramount. I wear a two piece with a skirt attached so that I don’t feel exposed
  • karlschaeffer
    karlschaeffer Posts: 1,490 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: Β»
    A few years and I will be 60 years old. Am I welcome to join lol?

You betcha. πŸ˜‰ We can consider you a 60+ trainee, as long as you don't lord your youth over us, ya young whippersnapper! πŸ˜‰

(Joking, just joking. Sincerely: Welcome to the group, as far as I'm concerned. We've had other folks here who were a bit under the 60 wire, and who fit in just fine.)

πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,724 Member
    i'm 62 and hoping to lose 15 lbs and keep it off. Folks at work used to ask "how much weight have you lost" and i tell them i've lost the same 5 pounds about 10 times. HAHAHA. got too enthusiastic last week and walked 4 miles instead of one. Now my knee hurts!!! Need to figure out how to exercise without hurting something... LOL

Balance is really important at this stage, isn't it? There's always that temptation to exercise hard, lose weight fast! (And then it blows up . . . !)

I won't speak for you, but I find that I'm less resilient at this age (I'm 65) than when I was 20. (It's easy to forget that.) Still, if I can figure out ways to ramp up exercise slowly, manage calories & nutrition in smart ways, I find I can surprise myself sometimes with what I can accomplish, over time, patiently but persistently.

I think that at our age, we have some advantages: For me, one is knowing myself pretty well, knowing my own strengths, limitations, preferences, and how to manage or exploit those in wily ways to accomplish goals via a path of least resistance. It's counter-intuitive, since objectively I have fewer probable years of life ahead of me now than when I was 20, but I feel like I have more patience than I did then: I feel like I know how to chip away at big, stretch goals to accomplish something useful or important, instead of expecting results *right now*.

I understand what you're saying: So, so, tempting to overdo - get there NOW. I gotta find those wily ways to get there, as fast as practical, but without blowing anything up. πŸ˜†

Hope you can find the success formula - it's so personal! πŸ™‚
  • Tuppence26
    A few years and I will be 60 years old. Am I welcome to join lol?

• Tuppence26
    As my old Dad would say.. you are as welcome as the flowers in spring. Look forward to your progress reports and how you fill your days
  • Tuppence26
    I joined about three days ago, and am still busy exploring the site. I am 77, so I think I should qualify for membership in this group, although I don't think membership is required. Looking forward to reading everyone's posts.
    Kayne

• Tuppence26
    Hi and welcome. No membership required, just a will(no matter how strongπŸ€—) to lose weight and support others. πŸ‘‹πŸ»πŸ‘‹πŸ»
  • Tuppence26
    Hi all. I’m so jazzed this morning. I started keto diet 6/4/21 at a weight of 216#. Today weight is 209.9#. I know most is the water weight anyone loses at first, but it still makes happy! πŸ˜ƒ