WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JUNE 2021

Replies

• exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,310 Member
    Did Tracy Long’s Defining Shape DVD then took a walk. The plan for tomorrow is to do a segment of this Walking Kit (I think it’s from Weight Watchers). A new one for me so we shall see how it goes.

Soup kitchen this afternoon then volunteering at the Green Room

M – I didn’t know that they didn’t have any books to read to PJ. Like I said, I knew that she’d gotten a lot at her baby shower so I assumed (I guess we know what happens when you assume something) that, of course, there were a lot in the house. If there was, I sure didn’t see them. Now in a way I’m sorry I got rid of all the baby books (like Hungry, Hungry Caterpillar) that I had for the kids.

Barbara – I’m the religious gardener...”if God means for it to live, it’ll live” The reason I gave them the book was so that I could be reading to him even tho I wasn’t there.

Lisa – what type of leavening do you use for your bread? Yeast?

Barbie – those books have to be somewhere in the house, I just didn’t see them. I’m hesitant to buy books since I know he has a lot. Maybe I can borrow some from somebody or I’ll look at the books I have and see if I kept any of the ones for a small child. Also, I spend all that money on books and they only get used when I’m there, that’s what will happen. Maybe I SHOULD spend the money on a toy that he’ll most likely use.

klvb – welcome. Happy early birthday! Beautiful plant!

Anne DE – woohoo, you go girl

Sarah – welcome! And great loss

Michele NC
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,685 Member
    Barbara - the right foot stays is sort of suspended in the air because your pushing on that one with your hands and vice versa. I’ll see if I can find a picture.
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,786 Member
    <3
  • grogers511
    grogers511 Posts: 476 Member
    ✳️✳️ ACCOUNTABILITY ✳️✳️
    ✔️Day 5: Thursday, June 10th. NO BINGE

— Ginger-in-Texas
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    oof! tired today. slept badly -had a long wake in the middle of night...waking tired then. not original, I know!
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 17,929 Member
    edited June 2021
    Hi folks.

Heather: - Uh! Oh! I don't like surprise visitors either.
    Sarah NZ: - Welcome to the group. Great loss.
    @klvb44 - Welcome to the group. Hope you continue to recover. There are a few of us over 70. (I'm 75) Losing weight isn't easy at any age 😂 but it is doable.
    Debbie: - When I am properly busy I never think of eating, especially in the garden.
    Michele: - Sounds like you made lots of good memories with PJ. Buy him books, lots of books 😍The jigsaw.
    Rori: - So good to see you smiling. You look very glamourous, and grey is very fashionable at the moment.
    Flea: - (((Hugs))) and prayers for the days ahead. Lean on us. We have broad shoulders.

We've been working hard planting up our summer containers. I post pics later. This morning I'm popping out to our local shops for fresh bread/meat and a browse in the charity shop.

☘️ Terri
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,577 Member
    :)<3
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,706 Member
    exermom wrote: »
    Denise and Pete don’t read to him.

Michele NC

That is really sad.

It is so important to read to children, even as young as a few months old. For a couple years some time ago, I worked in childcare with the 18 months - 3 year range, and that was something we made a point of doing. We wanted to give the children every opportunity in life!

I have also worked teaching Grade 1 and occasionally a student would come into Grade 1 not being able to read ... it was difficult for those students to catch up and they could be held back a year until their reading was at a better level. I worked with one student just about every day during my time there to help him because he was so far behind.

"Reading and storytelling with babies and children promotes brain development and imagination, develops language and emotions, and strengthens relationships"
    https://raisingchildren.net.au/babies/play-learning/literacy-reading-stories/reading-storytelling

https://www.zerotothree.org/resources/1833-read-early-and-often
    https://health.clevelandclinic.org/the-benefits-of-reading-to-babies/

And many, many more links.

You don't have to spend a fortune on books. Fortunately children's books are inexpensive new and even more inexpensive if you buy them used.

As the others have mentioned, if it were me, I'd buy a small collection of 10 or 12 books and bring them when visiting PJ. Leave them there or take them home and bring them back the next time ... or bring different ones the next time. :)

Machka in Oz
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,287 Member
    dgarlick1 wrote: »
    Thought you would all enjoy seeing my late mother-in-law's heirloom roses. This is from a cutting of her bush that she established from her great-grandmother's plant. I am told her great-grandmother brought the original bush from Ireland.
    2hd1shxp1use.jpg
    The roses are beautiful!

Michele - Yes, my leavening agent is yeast. I bought a case of Bob's Red Mill potato yeast in 2016 when we still lived on the ranch. I'm down to two of the six packages, and it still proofs every time, even five years later. The key is keeping it in the freezer. These packages traveled with us from West Texas to North Carolina to Arkansas in the rental house to this permanent home. Well-traveled stuff. At my current usage, I'll probably get through it all by next year this time.
    :smiley:
    hayds342 wrote: »
    Hi I'm Sarah from Canterbury NZ. New to this and you guys look like my people. 30lbs down in the last year 50lbs to go. Look forward to hearing about your journeys and cheering you on.
    Welcome, Sarah - we have at least one other person from that part of the world (Machka) and another new person, as well. Join any conversation when you're comfortable. No pressure!
    A friend of mine has a daughter with a small farm. I traded some rhubarb for some farm-fresh eggs. It is amazing how bright yellow the yolks are. Yum!

Margaret, one of the best parts of the farmer's market is being able to check out what everyone else has for sale. Since I'm there early to set up, it was easy to score a pound of strawberries as well as a dozen eggs that had those bright yolks. Makes store-bought eggs look anemic. The strawberries were small, but ten times the flavor of the golf-ball-sized strawberries in the stores. The store-bought ones may look prettier but they are not better.

And, speaking of the market, I may go ahead and bake one more thing together this morning to take with. Some kind of bar cookie that won't require babysitting it too much... Might go with blondies.

Later, y'all,
    Love,
    Lisa
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,637 Member
    Mornning ladies
    Well i wanted to sleep until 6:30 this morning but Alfie had other plsns..so I fed him and am.back relaxing in bed.. have to take Dan in for 7 am this morning and i might just come back and lie down again,im having some harsh pain in my right flank where my kidney is.. ive been taking tylenol but that doesnt really cut it.. I have an appointment with nephrologist monday morning so ill hold out until then
    I guess I slept ok,but someone was shouting at 12:15 in the morning saying Michael you lied to me and woke me right up,i was sleeping with the windows open..
    Sorta hard to get back to sleep after that,and being in pain didnt help either... oh well
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,120 Member
    edited June 2021
    Tried something different last night - listened to YouTube relaxation and sleep videos. I think it was helpful, but at least it was different. ;) I was upstairs as I had mild digestive issues. :o

Woken up early, 5.45, by texts from an ongoing conversation on my girlfriends' WhatsApp group. My difficult friend was attempting to get into France, via the overnight ferry, but was worried that her husband's Gibraltar 2nd vaxx wouldn't be acceptable to the French. The good news is, it passed, so they are now driving down to their house near Limoges. :D She has been super stressed about it all, so I'm happy for them. They have to get back in time to quarantine for their daughter's wedding in August.

Then, I was idly browsing my emails when a company I often buy from featured a top that looked suitable for me. Apparently it's a linen weave that doesn't crease and is soft. :*;)
    I decided to treat myself as I don't like exposing my flesh these days (I'm 71) and I like a full length sleeve to wear in the sun, so I don’t get tan lines. Plus, it needs to be light and cool. I think this fits the criteria. :D

mzh1qgbdyze8.jpg

Hope it fits as I'm a few pounds up. :#

DH out at cricket with my son and Max this evening for a 20//20 game. I am preparing early dinner for us. Falafel and humus with salad and tortilla. Nice and easy for me. I'm looking forward to an evening on my own.
    Note to self : do not drink alcohol.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,463 Member
    "Get to do"s and "chose well"s
    Chose well: BP, T’ai Chi.
    Bonus: Freddie’s, restored Epson to defaults pending donation, filing/clearing in prep for minutes, moved $$ around for new tank & water system upgrade, grant prep research emails.
    Get to do: take BP, dogs to powerline, login to SWOCC, USE those torture bands/do that BB&B video, call R & S, fire district: minutes, NIMS to Chief, loan pre-approval extract to DH, contact list, drop off cookies, ongoing: input 2019 call sheets into NFIRS, work with chief on equipment letter, substance abuse policy, NFIRS mutual aid and other missing details, ask for boots donator contact info, appreciation letter or certificate to boots donator, index mutual aid files; watch STAS Day 20, declutter sideboard, learn new dances (Nothing but You, Do Your Thing, A Little Less Broken, Blame it on my beating heart, Homesick; practice dances: One Margarita, I’m so used to being broke, All Night, Pure Movies to Wine, Beer, Whiskey, I ain’t never gonna love nobody but Cornell Crawford (Alley cat),); finish mulching flowerbed, invest another 10 minutes in prepping living trust, Freddie’s for complete series TDAP <$48, get Shingrix vaccine, find and configure a screen time popup, figure out where to plant the last of the naked lady bulbs, and soon as it warms up above 50 and dries out below 60% humidity I’ll tape and spray paint those rusted areas of Aunt Elsie’s stove. ask Terry about GB’s FD firetruck tax levy – contacts, media, advocate???, Reward: inventory seeds, plan this spring’s garden, wishlist replenishments (Milena F1 orange peppers).
    Joyful June:
    11- Eat good food that makes you happy and really savor it: Caesar Salad, Grana Padarno, red wine, dark chocolate, and oh no, Joe opened the package of Nutter Butter wafers!!!

Lovely rainy day. It might save the neglected potatoes… ;)
    Neighbor and water expert will order a second tank for in case of wildfire, might save house not trees. Tank cost increased from $950 to $1200 between last order and this. Plywood, 2x4s, all building materials have gone sky high and water tanks are in such demand you’re happy to pay whatever if you can get ‘em.

Lisa “…"You're so selfish, and didn't even think about how this affects my life!" SMH! :laugh:
    Heather 10 minutes notice? That would be just enough time to plan their demises… :naughty::love: the linen would you share the link?
    Welcome @klvb44 and Happy Birthday! Would you let us know what we should call you and your general locale? Hugs for your complete recovery from C-19.
    Rori :love: the new profile pic. (((hugs)))
    Dgarlic can almost smell those Irish heirloom roses. Brava for your health triumphs!
    Welcome @tammymccrady6278 ! Would you let us know what we should call you and your general locale?
    Katla happy to hear all about your visit with DD and the grands, all but the grumpy tum. Hope you and your DH feel better soon.
    Vicki :cry: ((hugs)) :heartbreak:
    Welcome @hayds342 Sarah from Canterbury NZ! Con VERY grats on taking off those 30 lbs. Well done!
    Julie hope you have some free time scheduled after those dense two days. Ah yes, now I see your Sunday overnight by the sea plans. Perfect!
    Jenn 12km? Woot woot indeed!
    Michele any hope of regular FaceTime with PJ? Would Denise accept a tablet just for PJ to use for bedtime reading with you? He could hold the book up to the screen and you could read the words for him? Sounds awkward but know you could figure something out.
    Ginger 5 days, YES! You go gal.
    Allie praying for your appointment Monday.

Tomorrow’s challenge will be to find a break in the rain during which to walk the dogs and sprinkle some fertilizer around the potatoes. Won’t even try to chop brush.

Lighter, lovelies!

f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    June: leaner/stronger/kinder than May.
    daily: sit with Joe: 11, weigh/wii: 11/0/0; steps>6362=4650, vits=9, log=11, CI<CO=12, CI<250<CO=8, Tumble=7, Shadow=10 mfp=11, outside=13, up hill=9, clean 10=2.
    wkly: Sun: Mon: Tue: LD=2 Wed: TC=2 PW=1 Thurs: PW=1, watched part of principles of pilates. Fri: TC=2 Sat: PW=1, rX x4=1.
    wt=1/31:141.3 2/28:142.4 3/31:145.3 4/30:141.5 5/31:142.4 6/6:141.8 6/12: 6/20: 6/27: 6/30:
    mnthly: board mtg=1, grant=1, 21 plan=, waist=42.0
    bonus: AF=5 play= sew=
    2021: choose to be leaner/stronger/kinder NOW
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    edited June 2021
    many of you must have seen this viral pandemic-time family choir. I love their songs. They do parodies to famous songs. Here: "Goodbye Pandemic Road". They started with a song from Les Mis. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhXI2Oy2AaU
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    B)
  • klbaussie
    klbaussie Posts: 24 Member
    Thank you for the welcome and the birthday wishes. I realized after I hit the post button, than I had forgotten to sign it. I go by my nickname, Kayne, and I live in extreme northern New Hampshire. I love it up here, even though it is somewhat isolated. The peace and beauty more than make up for the isolation! I do have a questions, although this may not be the right place to ask it. How do I find my favorites? Yesterday, I thought I had added this group to my favorites, but had a hard time finding it again this morning. I don't want to lose touch through my ignorance. Hoping to get to know more people as time goes by.

Kayne
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Kayne ~ Scroll up to the top of the page and highlight the star above the magnifying glass. It will turn yellow and keep your place.

Carol in GA
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,120 Member
    Barbara - The brand name is KETTLEWELL. It may be just a British company, but I actually have no idea. Warning, they are rather pricey, :o but their stuff is well made, survives washing, and suits me. I have a lot of their garments.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx