Quiche: how good/bad is it?

Despite the fact it’s got eggs? At least it’s not high on calories.

Replies

• glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,572 Member
    The eggs are the best part!

Well, next to the crust part.

There *is* a crust part, right?

I don't eat many hoity toity foods like quiche. :p
  • goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    Do you like quiche? Then it's good. If you don't like scrambled eggs then you'll probably have a bad time.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,329 Member
    Quiche is lovely! And totally fits into my budget with some pan roast potatoes and a salad. Well, a half quiche anyway. I don't usually have pizza as those available here are a lot more calorie dense. Quiche is also very tasty. And certainly not bad.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    What is wrong with eggs?

"Not high in calories" depends on the portion size. Think you are in for a surprise when you weigh out a portion.

• SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    The way I make them is definitely not low calorie. The pastry crust is a big calorie hog, and I like ham and cheese in mine.

But, if you want lower calories, you can make a crust less quiche (which to me is more like a frittata) and load it up with veggies.

But, yeah, I'm not sure why you think eggs are "bad".
  • penguinmama87
    penguinmama87 Posts: 1,158 Member
    I love quiche, and its somewhat cousin, frittata. Great way to use up a bunch of little bits of leftover things in the fridge and get a quite tasty result. Good for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. I just make sure I weigh it. :)
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    Quiche = Pastry (flour, fat), eggs & cream in a ratio of 1:2, various fillings which can be high or reasonable in calories but in a traditional type quiche it’ll be bacon & cheese rather than raw vegetables 🤷‍♀️

Not my definition of ‘not high in calories’ 😱

In my opinion much, much nicer than a frittata but not really comparable! Taste and texture are quite different.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,572 Member
    glassyo wrote: »

For you, let's call it "egg pie" so it sounds not so hoity toity. :D

Egg...

Pie...

I'm so in. :)

I used to hit up the Whole Foods hot bar in the glorious days before covid. I'd mostly stop in during my evening walks to get a little portion controlled something to tide me over but sometimes I'd go on weekend mornings for something different. Quiche always made it into the bowl of soup container. It may have only been 2 small bites worth but it made it! I needed serious portion control with that hot bar. 😀
  • goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    Quiche = Pastry (flour, fat), eggs & cream in a ratio of 1:2, various fillings which can be high or reasonable in calories but in a traditional type quiche it’ll be bacon & cheese rather than raw vegetables 🤷‍♀️

Not my definition of ‘not high in calories’ 😱

In my opinion much, much nicer than a frittata but not really comparable! Taste and texture are quite different.

Even if you're making a nontraditional quiche you wouldn't want raw vegetables - you'd want to cook off a good bit of the moisture first, and while you don't necessarily *have* to cook them in some kind of fat...why wouldn't you?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,843 Member
    edited June 2021
    Despite the fact it’s got eggs? At least it’s not high on calories.

Sure, you could make a low calorie quiche, but a traditionally sized portion of a traditionally made quiche is not a low calorie food.

I've greatly reduced my egg consumption due to a medical condition that is helped by lower fat and lower saturated fat, but for most of the population, eggs are not a problem.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,926 Member
    glassyo wrote: »

For you, let's call it "egg pie" so it sounds not so hoity toity. :D

I have an old recipe book, long before quiche became a common food ( in Australia) and it is for egg and bacon pie ;)

Does turn out very similar to hoity toity quiche B)
  • Anthem76
    Anthem76 Posts: 81 Member
    edited June 2021
    My quiche recipe has a butter crust, cream, whole milk, cheese, and optional bacon or sausage. Not low calorie.

As others have said, you can make a lower calorie crustless version with veggies and egg whites swapped for some of the eggs.
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    Unless there are a lot of goofy items substituted for the real recipe items, most any quiche made from a popular recipe source will come in around 4 calories per gram. Of course with the right variables one could easily push that up to 5 or 6 calories per gram. Although there is a little protein in the eggs, a quiche is pretty slim on anything but fat and carbs making it one of the worst food choices for a person who is having difficulty meeting daily calorie goals. Sort of like pizza or Doritos. Other than that, quiche is great.
  • KNoceros
    KNoceros Posts: 324 Member
    edited June 2021
    I have a quarter of a supermarket quiche pretty much every day for my lunch at work. Come in about 270-300 cal / 100g (depending on recipe) and 100g / portion

To be honest, I find it more satisfying than spending similar calories on a sandwich.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Depends on the quiche! Who made it, what's in it, what size portion are you having, what are your calorie and macro goals.
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    edited June 2021
    Here is the base recipe before adding bacon, cheese spinach or greek yogurt (barf alert).

2 large eggs 170
    1 cup half and half 320
    Pinch freshly grated nutmeg 0
    1/4 teaspoon kosher salt 0
    1 (9-inch) unbaked pie crust (fresh or frozen) 949

So the base quiche typically has about 1500 calories for a 9" pie making it a little over 150% of the calorie count of a plain cheese pizza.