Damn you, weather! Damn you Garmin

Replies

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,387 Member
    Wow, that looks amazing! a wee bit too cold maybe <3
  • YellowD0gs
    YellowD0gs Posts: 693 Member
    YellowD0gs wrote: »
    Ugh!! All the walking - running - step challenges this month! And no aerobic/cardio options. I do have to pass a BSA swimmers test this spring, so it looks like 1,000 meters swimming in a week for me (like I've actually been swimming in the last 2 years!)

Anybody know if outdoor swims count toward this? Seems like they should, but (at least as of last summer) outdoor swims don't count toward swimming PRs. Probably because distance (and therefore pace) is measured differently.

Well ..."technically"...I think you could walk 1000 meters around the pool perimeter with your tracker set to swim mode, or post-edit anything in Connect to a swimming activity. But since we're all honest, fair-play types, I'm pretty sure any swimming activity qualifies. It only says swim 1000 meters that week And even if your tracker doesn't get the distances perfect, you can edi...I mean correct them in Connect. :wink:
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    I hate the walk 3 miles on the weekend challenge. I'm going to hike 10 miles on Saturday and it doesn't count. 😡
  • yirara
    I hate the walk 3 miles on the weekend challenge. I'm going to hike 10 miles on Saturday and it doesn't count. 😡

Yes, it’s ridiculous!
    I’m also a bit miffed about to 15k run because I’m currently at only 10k. Oh well, you can’t have everything
  • SuzanneC1l9zz
    SuzanneC1l9zz Posts: 451 Member

I actually love that one. There's a beautiful 5.3 km ravine trail near us. It's in the city and for the most part fairly flat, so I wouldn't exactly call it a hike. I set my watch to "walk outdoors" and take it at a stroll (I'm a fast walker, my stroll and most people's are not the same lol) and enjoy myself. Garmin counts it.
  • NorthCascades
    Ugh!! All the walking - running - step challenges this month! And no aerobic/cardio options. I do have to pass a BSA swimmers test this spring, so it looks like 1,000 meters swimming in a week for me (like I've actually been swimming in the last 2 years!)

Anybody know if outdoor swims count toward this? Seems like they should, but (at least as of last summer) outdoor swims don't count toward swimming PRs. Probably because distance (and therefore pace) is measured differently.

Well ..."technically"...I think you could walk 1000 meters around the pool perimeter with your tracker set to swim mode, or post-edit anything in Connect to a swimming activity. But since we're all honest, fair-play types, I'm pretty sure any swimming activity qualifies. It only says swim 1000 meters that week And even if your tracker doesn't get the distances perfect, you can edi...I mean correct them in Connect. :wink:

Honesty doesn't factor into it for me. I want my data to be correct.
  • yirara
    edited June 2021
    Well, the 5k walk is done. This morning I decided that I'm not doing it unless my very short walk planned for today would get me there. Which was unlikely. I took a train and metro to another place and visited a beach there for some other hobby. Walking back to the metro I realized I'd finish at 4.4km. Of course I had to walk one metro station further to get the 5km :D

So how's your weekend been? <3
  • SuzanneC1l9zz
    My 5k is done too, plus I added a loop around the pond for another 1.75ish. I usually average about 6,000 steps, which is why I thought the 100,000 in 14 days would be a good boost but not unreasonable. I was over 10,000 by noon and I still have to mow the lawn!
  • yirara
    My 5k is done too, plus I added a loop around the pond for another 1.75ish. I usually average about 6,000 steps, which is why I thought the 100,000 in 14 days would be a good boost but not unreasonable. I was over 10,000 by noon and I still have to mow the lawn!

Congratulations! Well done. Looks like you're well on the way to the 100k in 14 days as well :)
  • NorthCascades
    It's evening. I have 1,666 steps so far today. I helped my 72 year old mom celebrate her birthday instead. N
  • YellowD0gs
    Went and got our summer passes to the pool yesterday. OOHH!!! That water is still cold! But managed a few laps through the hoards, and then wore my son out with 20 minutes of just treading water. Not the most strenuous use of our time, but at least we weren't getting bonked by footballs over in the deep end...
  • SuzanneC1l9zz
    Thanks yirara. As usual I'm sure you're way ahead of me!

NorthCascades that happens to me from time to time if I really have a lazy day. Doesn't happen too often, but I did have one last week.

YellowD0gs well done for avoiding the chaos.

I didn't manage to get the lawn mowed yesterday before a storm blew in, so that's pretty high on the priority list for today. Unfortunately for me, Garmin doesn't count steps pushing the mower very accurately.
  • SuzanneC1l9zz
    So that's two days in a row over 10,000 steps. Thanks for the push everyone! (and thanks Garmin too 😅)
  • SuzanneC1l9zz
    Well... that's my 10k step streak broken. It's been thundering all day and all the places I usually walk put me at very high risk for being struck by lightning, so I decided I'd better stay home.
  • yirara
    Oh no!
  • YellowD0gs
    Did y'all get your 5K runs in this weekend?

I've got my water wings and swim fins ready for the 1K swim week starting tomorrow. :wink: Have it planned to do at least a 50m warm-up, 100m practice for the swimmers test, and a 50m cool-down. That's 200m per day, 7 days to hit 5, and nothing but searing hot temps and blue skies for the week. Bring it on!
  • yirara
    edited June 2021
    Go for it!
    I’ve booked an hour st a local pool and hope I can still swim 1000m at half ok form. We’ll see 😬

I got my 5k run as well, which turned out to be the fastest 5k since 2016. 7:13min/km. Yeah, I’m that slow 🤣
  • SuzanneC1l9zz
    No 5k run for me - my joints don't allow it - but I'm on pace for the 100,000 steps in 14 days one. I identify strongly with my cats in that I hate being wet 😂 so I'm not doing the swimming one either. (plus the detail that I have no access to a pool right now if I wanted to) I'm impossible to please apparently lol, but the walking and strength ones suit me fine.
  • YellowD0gs
    Took (drug) the family to the pool, and me and The Boy got 350m logged. Felt good, know I can pass the swimmers test and make the kids look like slackers( :wink: ). Could have done more if others hadn't scheduled our Sunday activities for us. Did a couple turns around the lazy river with my wife and called it a day. A day and a half ahead of schedule to those wonderful pixels!
  • SuzanneC1l9zz
    I hit the 100,000 steps yesterday.