Calling all runners...

Replies

• LoveyChar
    LoveyChar Posts: 4,335 Member
    Marathon is tomorrow. I am ready!
  • jdaniels115
    jdaniels115 Posts: 7 Member
    Hiya! Runner girl going on 17 years here. 17 years of running slower than turtles stampeding through peanut butter. I JUST made a blog post about this very thing. I'm training for Virtual Boston in October. It'll be my first full (I've done 3 half marathons, some 10ks and a bunch of 5ks). I run to finish and never to place. Where I live (Norther n Massachusetts), I don't have any running pals to help with accountability. Someone please be my friend. :-)
  • AndreaTamira
    AndreaTamira Posts: 272 Member
    I am not a runner but I want to be.

Two days ago I just "went for a run" and it was fun. It was more walk-run-walk for about 40 minutes than an actual run and I imagine even my running was very slow, but I enjoyed myself.

If I stick to doing that 3 times a week for a month or two, does this make me runner?
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Yes, yes it does👍🏃‍♀️
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    LoveyChar wrote: »
    Marathon is tomorrow. I am ready!

Enjoy the race! The payoff for all the hard work.
  • ukstern
    ukstern Posts: 6 Member

Two days ago I just "went for a run" and it was fun. It was more walk-run-walk for about 40 minutes than an actual run and I imagine even my running was very slow, but I enjoyed myself.

If I stick to doing that 3 times a week for a month or two, does this make me runner?

Of course! If you're new to running, I'd really recommend doing the Couch to 5k programme. I was never been much of a runner either, but I dislocated my knee last year and my physio suggested I do this when I had fully healed as it would gradually build up my strength. I'm now running 5k 3 or 4 times a week and I love it. I'm now probably the fittest I have been in years 🙂
  • SwtHedgehog
    SwtHedgehog Posts: 172 Member
    Congratulations; what a great race and accomplishment. I didn't even know they have such long trail runs. Enjoy your victory.
  • Spadesheart
    Spadesheart Posts: 463 Member
    So, with this period of lockdown, I've been finding getting out for a run a lot easier to motivate myself to do than weight training in my apartment. The weather was perfect today, and I ate a bunch of junk so I thought it might be worth going tonight. What I was not planning for was doing the farthest distance of continuous running I've ever done, and setting my personal records for my 3k (18 mins), my 5k (32 mins) and by default, my 10k (69 mins).

It's not exactly fast at 69 minutes, but this isn't bad. I have also apparently found out that the ideal fuel for working out is not oatmeal and protein powder, but is in fact lilac syrup I had made for coffee, and potato chips...huh. neat.
  • littlegreenparrot1
    littlegreenparrot1 Posts: 694 Member
    Congratulations; what a great race and accomplishment. I didn't even know they have such long trail runs. Enjoy your victory.

Trail run events can be very long.

I decided to have a go at a trail Ultramarathon. An ultra is anything over the marathon distance.
    The one I'm doing is 100km. Seemed like a good idea at the time :D
  • littlegreenparrot1
    littlegreenparrot1 Posts: 694 Member
    LoveyChar wrote: »
    Written on Monday:

I was going to write a long story but I know I don't like reading long "race reports" and usually don't, so I'll spare you.

Anyway, I finished. Barely. But, I finished. I walked the majority of it. I rolled my ankle and bruised the side of my foot. That's not why I walked, though. Walking was because I inadequately trained and now I know trail running is twice as hard as road running; at least in my opinion it is. Ankle and foot are better today than yesterday, but still a little swollen and bruised. It will all be back to normal in a day or two. Besides being a little sore, I'm fine.

To anyone who long distance trail runs, accolades to you because wow it's hard! There were rocks, steep hills, streams, bugs, sticks...I have nothing to compare it to but I was told by a lady who has run several trails that this one was very difficult with lots of hills and a couple of super steep ones. The trail was narrow and I moved over to let other runners blaze by me. It was pretty cool to see some of them flying through the terrain like that, naturals.

I know people who love trail running often say they love it because there is so much beauty in nature to see. I was too busy staring at the path directly in front of me so I didn't trip, fall and break a bone or crack my skull and die that I didn't have much of an opportunity to take in the scenery.

The high was 83° with the sun beating down on us. I worked up an incredible sweat. Between the mud, the streams, the sweat, I came out wet. Mosquitos were biting and I couldn't outrun the suckers.

At the end of my second loop, I ate four small containers of Pringles, two small packages of Oreos, and one Chips Ahoy and that was my breakfast. I was so hungry until that point. I made two friends on the trails, both ladies that broke up unwanted solitude in those moments.

In the moments, running and walking was not fun and I just wanted it to be over with. But after it was over, I appreciated everything. I would never blindly sign up for anything again, especially a Marathon type of running I've never tried before.

It was a festival with people running all day. Supporters sat in lawn chairs or under tents outside of the start/finish line and cheered. My daughter ran and walked with me the last loop, 6.55 miles, in Crocs and no socks. Even though she wasn't a registered, paid runner, the organizers gave her a medal completely unexpected and put it right around her pretty, little neck. It was so sweet. She wants to run the festival next year. Everyone there was so nice and supportive and cheering for each other. The organizers and volunteers were supportive to people like me with all the questions and everyone was smiling and happy. The aid stations were stocked. The trails were clearly marked, although, I did manage to get lost as I was looking down too much and possibly veered a couple of miles off the beaten path until I found my way back.

I 100% plan to run next year but it will probably be a 10k with my daughter and then we'll just stay and enjoy the festivities and swimming. I earned my medal and I'm wearing my shirt. Life is good.

I'm so glad it's over.

Thank you so much for your presence and uplifting words...

9yip624j8kp6.jpg

It sounds like a great festival and a lovely day, well done on completing it.

I run trails for preference and would agree that it is harder work. I find it much more interesting though, as with anything you get better at it with practice. I will happily run for hours on trails, but will quickly get bored on roads.

• Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Job well done in completing a very challenging event!! I agree that trail running can be much more difficult than road work. I'd also guess that next time (and I predict there WILL be a next time) you'll be ready with a plan to deal with the challenges of weather, nutrition and bugs! Congrats again.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    Meh, still 24C outside. I kind of have the feeling that today's run won't be brilliant.
  • LoveyChar
    @SwtHedgehog
    @littlegreenparrot1
    @Djproulx

Thank you!!! And yes I'll definitely run a trail race again, just probably either a 5k or a half. Not only was the Marathon difficult day of but my body hurt so bad afterwards; just now five days later I'm starting to feel almost completely back to normal again. I bruised my foot and it was so swollen and I heard a pop in the back of that same leg that I never want to hear again getting out of the car night of the Marathon. I'll prepare better next time but cut it down to a more enjoyable distance for me.
  • TooManyMinstrels
    TooManyMinstrels Posts: 20 Member

Yes!
  • TooManyMinstrels
    TooManyMinstrels Posts: 20 Member
    Runner here, 11 years! Keep getting injured but love it so much I can’t let it go 🏃‍♀️ 🤣
  • DarkNightBrightDays
    DarkNightBrightDays Posts: 30 Member
    I started running when the childcare business l work at was only allowed to accept kids of essential personnel in March 2020 and l suddenly had two hours extra free time each day. It seemed a shame to just waste it plus l had always wanted to shout "l'm going for a run" as l headed out the door and actually go for a run!

I always run alone and it's the first time in my life that l have done any type of exercise consistently because of the mental health benefits and purely because l enjoy it, prior to this workouts have always been something l made myself do to lose weight etc. Running is my stress reliever and my therapy, l'm fortunate to have some lovely trails near where l live and enjoy the beauty of nature so much.

Yesterday l ran 10k for the first time ever, l'm a slow runner so it took a while lol but l managed to maintain my 5k pace throughout and even managed to shave a minute or so off my second 5k time.

I don't know any other runners (most people think l'm nuts because l do it voluntarily, one day an old man pulled over in front of me and said OMG are you ok what are you running away from!!! 😅) so no-one really understands the sense of achievement you get from doing it so l thought l'd share here, hope you don't mind!

Have a great day and a wonderful run if you are going out ❤
  • lianatherunner
    lianatherunner Posts: 45 Member
    Thought I'd introduce myself. I'm 42 and started running in late 2019. I started running longer distances right before covid hit, so my races got postponed, but I like running half-marathon distances and my first in-person race is in August. I'm thinking about running a marathon in 2022, but I'm scared!
    I love my weekly long runs. It's where I find my joy!
  • koolGsmoove
    koolGsmoove Posts: 32 Member
    I started running off and on about 6 years ago. I just started trying to run consistently for a little over a year now
  • LoveyChar

Trail run events can be very long.

I decided to have a go at a trail Ultramarathon. An ultra is anything over the marathon distance.
    The one I'm doing is 100km. Seemed like a good idea at the time :D

This is super crazy! How did that go?