Berberine

Anyone have any experience with the Berberine supplement? What brand is good, if it is worth even trying. I heard it helps lower cholesterol, sugar, and gives energy. I am having trouble with high cholesterol. I think it may be hereditary.

Replies

• wmweeza
    wmweeza Posts: 319 Member
    Diet changes would be the best bet, I haven't heard of that supplement but most just give you very expensive urine. There are some promising study results though https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2410097/#S5title
  • wmweeza
    wmweeza Posts: 319 Member
    Thanks for asking this question, I've now gone down the rabbit hole on information, this is an interesting supplement
  • goldyray1
    goldyray1 Posts: 64 Member
    wmweeza wrote: »
    Thanks for asking this question, I've now gone down the rabbit hole on information, this is an interesting supplement

I am seeing a doctor in Nashville about my arthritis. He was looking at my blood tests and said that my cholestrol needed some attention. Before prescribing anything for it, he wanted me to try Berberine. He also said it would help with losing weight. I told him I was trying to lose weight because of the gain from Prednisone. He told me it would not help me lose weight by itself, but it could be an 'aide' along with dieting to help me lose more weight. But he was mainly concerned with my cholesterol. He said according to what I told him I was eating, that it probably was hereditary as his was and he found that Berberine helped with his high cholesterol so maybe it would help me. So I have some ordered. Can't find it anywhere locally. He told me I might have a hard time finding it. So I did have to order it online. We will see what happens. I hoped that I could find someone that had taken this to see if it worked for them. Let me know what you find out. I have looked a little but found very little.