For the love of Produce...

Replies

• acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,599 Member
    Rambutan for the win. Someone here told me to look out for those. Brilliant suggestion.
    I love the mangosteen.

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,012 Member
    Good fruit haul from the produce market today: Mango, guava, lychee, kumquat. Not shown (but purchased): apricot.
    367x3s4ickr4.jpg
  • acpgee
    acpgee wrote: »
    I got a micro green grow kit (for kids) as a hostess present.

What city is that?

London.
  • icemom011
    icemom011 Posts: 999 Member
    edited June 2021
    Pickled watermelon rind.
    9ts89xtipyzv.jpg

@acpgee , what's your recipe? I'm very intrigued, never heard of it. But i have a big watermelon in the fridge and i just cut some up and already made rind chunks. I looked online, but if you can share your way of making it, that would be awesome!
  • acpgee
    icemom011 wrote: »
    Pickled watermelon rind.

@acpgee , what's your recipe? I'm very intrigued, never heard of it. But i have a big watermelon in the fridge and i just cut some up and already made rind chunks. I looked online, but if you can share your way of making it, that would be awesome!

The first time I ate pickled watermelon rind was at a restaurant specializing in food from Louisiana. If you look online there are all kinds of optional aromats ranging from raw chilli, pepper corns, cloves, cinnamon. I just made these plain with a basic picking liquor of a half cup each of water, vinegar, sugar and a teaspoon of salt with a couple of extra pinches to taste. Simmer to disslolve the sugar. Peel off the hard green skin of the watermelon rinds, cube into bite size pieces and toss into your sterilized jar. Pour in the pickling brine. If the brine doesn't fully submerge the rinds, top with boiling water. Keep in the fridge. Nice after a day but okay after a month, keeping in mind they will get stronger as they sit longer in the brine.

After your watermelon rinds are gone, you can boil up your pickling brine to sterlize, strain and re-use once. You can pickle other vegetable waste such as shredded cauliflower leaves, finely sliced or julienned stems of cauliflower and broccoli.
  • acpgee
    mtaratoot wrote: »
    Today I will fill the dehydrator for the FOURTH time with about three or four gallons of fresh dark-red sweet cherries. When I last loaded it, I added one tray of raspberries. They turn into sweet crunchy snacks. They are what those things in sugary cereal WISH they were.

The dehydrator holds about eight square feet, so I can totally get over three gallons of big cherries in there. The prep work though.... it's the pits.

Do you use a cherry pitter? I love mine. I also use it for pitting olives.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,152 Member
    mtaratoot wrote: »
    Today I will fill the dehydrator for the FOURTH time with about three or four gallons of fresh dark-red sweet cherries. When I last loaded it, I added one tray of raspberries. They turn into sweet crunchy snacks. They are what those things in sugary cereal WISH they were.

The dehydrator holds about eight square feet, so I can totally get over three gallons of big cherries in there. The prep work though.... it's the pits.

Do you use a cherry pitter? I love mine. I also use it for pitting olives.

I was pretty sure I had bought a pitter, but couldn't find it. I borrowed one from a neighbor for the first batch. I almost bought one, but a friend told me an alternate technique. Put the fruit on a bottle and poke it through the middle with a straw. I used a stainless steel straw, and it worked great. I started skipping the bottle; it's easier, but there are a few "blowouts." The bottle lip acts to hold the outside skin together while the pit spits through. Doing in in hand some get mangled. For putting in the dehydrator, I don't care! I don't pit the ones I put in brandy, although as an experiment I did try to pit some of those.

I got two gallons today then took a break. I went back out and got another two gallons, but what's left is going to be left for the birds. They are starting to mold, and many have already been pecked so they ferment a little bit. It's fun to see robins (Turdus migratorius) fall out of trees drunk.
  • icemom011
    icemom011 Posts: 999 Member
    icemom011 wrote: »
    Pickled watermelon rind.

The first time I ate pickled watermelon rind was at a restaurant specializing in food from Louisiana. If you look online there are all kinds of optional aromats ranging from raw chilli, pepper corns, cloves, cinnamon. I just made these plain with a basic picking liquor of a half cup each of water, vinegar, sugar and a teaspoon of salt with a couple of extra pinches to taste. Simmer to disslolve the sugar. Peel off the hard green skin of the watermelon rinds, cube into bite size pieces and toss into your sterilized jar. Pour in the pickling brine. If the brine doesn't fully submerge the rinds, top with boiling water. Keep in the fridge. Nice after a day but okay after a month, keeping in mind they will get stronger as they sit longer in the brine.

After your watermelon rinds are gone, you can boil up your pickling brine to sterlize, strain and re-use once. You can pickle other vegetable waste such as shredded cauliflower leaves, finely sliced or julienned stems of cauliflower and broccoli.

@acpgee Yes, thank you! I'm not new to pickling, I've done some. Grew up with pickled wild mushrooms, cukes, tomatoes. I like pickled beets too. Interesting tip for broccoli and cauliflower, i will try that. To my watermelon rind i added black peppercorns, anise seeds, sliced ginger ( love ginger!), cinnamon stick, jalapeno peppers (because i love spicy stuff). Will see. I broke up cinnamon stick, and it seems messy, not sure about that. Thank you again!
  • acpgee
    Hooray for strawberry glut.
    yzuj25ocnk28.jpeg

• acpgee
    Steamed artichoke with hollandaise that's just on the verge of splitting.
    1h4qh9mzkv64.jpg