Quiche: how good/bad is it?

2»

Replies

• saltysparkle
    saltysparkle Posts: 145 Member
    I adore quiche; I just wish I had a good whole-grain or nut-based crust recipe! One of the larger sources of cals in most quiches is the crust, and if I'm going to eat carbs, I'd at least prefer them to be nutrient-dense.

Anyone have a good (i.e. tasty) whole-grain or nut-based crust recipe?
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,572 Member
    I've bought pies strictly for the crust.

Just felt the need to share. :)
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,724 Member
    I adore quiche; I just wish I had a good whole-grain or nut-based crust recipe! One of the larger sources of cals in most quiches is the crust, and if I'm going to eat carbs, I'd at least prefer them to be nutrient-dense.

Anyone have a good (i.e. tasty) whole-grain or nut-based crust recipe?

Try your regular recipe with whole wheat pastry flour (soft wheat flour). I've done that with reasonable results (the texture will differ, of course). I've even made crust with regular (hard) whole wheat flour, and it wasn't a terrible thing, especially for a savory filling. YMMV, but what's the worst that can happen from trying it? One sub-par quiche? 🤷‍♀️
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    I’ve also made quiche using wheat tortillas instead of pastry, which knocks the calories down quite a bit. I’ve not tried with a low carb tortilla (fewer calories still) but I would imagine it would work too.

It was some time ago so I can’t remember the precise method but I remember neither my husband nor daughter even noticed until I told them!
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,121 Member
    I love quiche, and its somewhat cousin, frittata. Great way to use up a bunch of little bits of leftover things in the fridge and get a quite tasty result. Good for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. I just make sure I weigh it. :)

It freezes nicely, too. So you can make a few at a time and save the others for the days when everything goes sideways and you just want something filling and comforting. With a side salad? It’s a lovely protein packed comfort food.