What Was Your Work Out Today?

Replies

• KevHex
    KevHex Posts: 256 Member
    ‘Yoga for runners’ on YouTube <3
  • drmwc
    drmwc Posts: 972 Member
    Wednesday
    I went for a climb. I was in reasonable form, and got two of my projects.

At this gym, before lockdown I used to be able to one of two of the v3s. Now I seem to be able to get about half of them, I think the route setting must have got easier.

Thursday
    Day off, although I got a decent walk in, ending on 16,000 steps.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited June 2021
    @AnnPT77 -- looks lovely and like a workout too! I hope to go up to Tempe next year and learn outdoor rowing. They have a four day clinic on basics. Tempe isn't close to me (around 90 minutes), and their venue isn't a greates -- I live in the desert -- but they do have two rowing clubs there.

On an aside, after playing one full round of 18 and seven 9 hole rounds, I'm starting to feel like a golfer. I had my first legit birdie last night and putted for an Eagle that I barely missed on a long par five. Hit a great drive, then drove it over water with a five iron to the back edge of the green and barely missed a 10 foot put for Eagle. And I finally broke 50 for 9 holes. At my best (35 years ago is the last time I played golf), I was only a low 90s golfer. I'm getting close to that again now playing weekly. If you can stand the heat in AZ during the Summer, rates are dirt cheap to play golf at some amazing courses.

My wife and daughter got caught up at the hair salon and called off golf last minute and I ended up playing with my daughter's partner, who is a very good golfer. The two guys we played against were also fantastic golfers. Yet, I held my own against all of them and even won a few holes, which felt great. Made me forget about nearly hitting a house early on! We have very narrow fairways in AZ because that limits water consumption. We ended up 3rd place on the night, though it's a handicap league, but we were still pretty happy with that.

Nothing like the Midwest where you can miss the fairway and be OK. You are not OK if you miss -- usually in a cactus, water or a gravelly sand trap. And you don't want to go deep to find your ball because there are rattlers in the Summer all over.

All the "functional fitness" workouts, lifts and Yoga that I do are really helping me with my ability to not only enjoy golf, but have some nice power as well, especially for my age.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    @AnnPT77 - What a beautiful setting! Easy to see why you enjoy it.
    @MikePfirrman - Kudos on the renewed golf game. Its satisfying when you play well.
    My boys are fairly good players, but I gave it up years ago in frustration. Maybe when I'm older and more patient.

Not really setting the world on fire this week. Tues/Wed workouts were fine, but I was "off" yesterday during my run. Actually pulled the plug 45 minutes into a 60 minute run. Today's swim was not great, but ok. 2800 yd session including various 500's focused on endurance and some building speed. Managed to get 2500 in before running out of time.

Tomorrow's bike/run will be fun. Looks like 7-8 of us will meet for a group ride. I'll see how many I can drag along for a transition run when we finish the bike.
  • MikePfirrman
    edited June 2021
    @Djproulx -- what date is your race? I hope you get good weather for it. I know it's been really unseasonably warm. Hard to train in that anytime. Golf is a game of patience and temperament. To be honest, I think I took seven strokes off my prior best mainly because I wasn't chasing my wife's errant shots all over the course. That takes a toll on your game (though I would never say that to her!). Golf is also a hard sport to squeak in when you're training for triathlons! You simply have different priorities and golf really takes consistent play not to hate it.

Speaking of heat, it was 92 in my gym garage today. My wife had a doctor appointment and brought the hot car back into the garage right before my workout, which certainly didn't help. Did my 8 set superset lift and then, instead of rowing in the heat (I think I wouldn't have made it through), I did 5 X 5 minutes, w/ 1 rest, on the LateralX and Assault Bike. As hard as I could. First four sets around 85% of max HR and last one 90% of max.

After the heat of the lifting I couldn't manage any more than that. Plus, it's hard getting to 90% max on the LateralX, which is just a glorified elliptical. Even at the widest setting on highest resistance, I have a hard time hitting over 85% max HR on that. Assault Bike @ around 240 sustained Watts for the five minute sets.
  • megemrj
    megemrj Posts: 547 Member
    Strong Lifts 5x5
    Squats 95lb
    Bench Press 60lb
    Bent Over Rows 85lb
    Landmine Twists

Quick dip in the pool before the rain started 🥵
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,721 Member
    * Rowed bow in the quad, 8.6km. (We did an extra loop because we were way faster than the 2 singles out with us today, and I don't like to get too far away from them, for safety purposes.)
    * Walked 5.2 miles on the park trail not far from the rowing club, slowly again, 3.1mph average.

It was sunny, hot (high 80s to over 90 F) and steamy-humid . . . not sure how humid then, but it was 80-90%+ later in the day. I felt pretty drained after the row, but went for the walk anyway. I don't handle heat well. I was doing route-mile math in my head to test myself, and competence was declining, though I did drink water, eat a salty snack. I sweat like I was melting, always, but with the high humidity and hardly any wind, it doesn't have a lot of utility. 🤷‍♀️ Working on acclimatization.
  • Djproulx
    @MikePfirrman - 8 days to race day, June 19th. Last time I did the Patriot 70.3 was in 2017 and it was in the low 90s on the run course. Current long range forecast this year is for temps in the 80s. My "A" race is in September. Ironman Chattanooga can be a hot, humid race. I'll train in the heat this summer to prepare.

I agree that golf requires more time than I can give it right now, but that's ok. I'll just fish on my rest days. :)
  • KevHex
    Lovely 10k run around my small town in Scotland. A bit windy but lovely to be out running.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,329 Member
    Cycled 61km in 3 parts: from station to unesco world heritage site, some 10km over that inscribed site, and to another station. Very stormy weather, this I made excellent speed. Best was over 40kmh, down a bridge with back wind 🤣
  • Djproulx
    Had great conditions today for a group ride. The light rain stopped an hour before our 9am start, so conditions were cloudy and cool. Sun came out after an hour and stayed out. 5 of us put in 40miles over fairly flat terrain at a 17.3mph moving average. After a quick change, I did a 30min transition run at my easy 10:00 pace.
    Felt good today at the reduced distance. My plan calls for a moderate length run and swim tomorrow as I begin taper to race day.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,721 Member
    * 7020m rowing bow in the quad, after/before helping with the start & end of the learn-to-row class. (They were practicing flipping & getting back in today, didn't need much help in the middle of class.) It was cooler today, so we did some short power pieces in the quad (interval-type rowing, amongst the usual moderate steady state).
    * 40' strength training.

Garmin has been reducing my estimated walking VO2max and increasing associated estimated "fitness age" lately, now to 37 and 32 respectively. Since not much real has changed, I'm blaming the hot weather via slowed pace & increased HR. That's my excuse, and I'm sticking to it. 😆
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,329 Member
    There seems to be a problem with the firmware of at least the fenix series, AnnP. While the gps overall isn’t great it suddenly got a lot worse and every run I do is suddenly about 0:30min/km slower. Result: VO2max went down. I now went to an older firmware. Lets see if that solves the problem
  • MikePfirrman
    edited June 2021
    90 minutes steady state today. 6K on the rower before it got too hot (it's 9:30 right now and it's already 97. I started at around 7:15 and it was 83 already. Was 88 by the time I was done rowing!). Then I did the rest inside -- 30 on the LateralX and around 20 something on the Assault Bike. All under 75% max and the elliptical and bike even lower (under 65% max). Easier to stay under 70% max inside the A/C.

First 90 minute workout in a while. I really need to increase my long slow day duration.
  • drmwc
    drmwc Posts: 972 Member
    edited June 2021
    Friday
    I meant to go to climbing, but cocked up the timing. So I did kettle bells instead:
    Goblet squat, 3 sets of 5, 32 kgs
    5 TGUs, 16 kgs.
    100 swings, 24 kgs
    Deadlift, 1 set of 5, 100 kgs (this one was barbell, obviously.)

Saturday
    Scuba diving, 2 lovely dives straight outta Brighton.

Sunday
    Walk, 26 miles, estimated 4,000 foot ascent. It was nice, I am not too broken now.

This was the Three Peaks of Surrey, a circular walk around Box Hill, Holmbury Hill and Leith Hill
  • Djproulx
    Finished the weekend with a swim and run. We started with an easy paced yet very hilly 75 minute run around the lake. Then after a quick change into wetsuits, we headed out for an open water swim.

Once at the boat launch, we were faced with a stiff breeze churning up the lake, making the swim feel like being inside a spinning washing machine. It ended up being a 2000 yd swim. I took in more mouthfuls of water today than I have in a long time. At least the lake water is very clean. :)

Now the real taper begins with a rest day tomorrow.
  • KevHex
    Finished the week with a 8 mile run, taking my weekly total to 32 miles. Very pleased with my progress as I only picked up running on the 1st of March this year after a long break.
  • JessAndreia
    JessAndreia Posts: 540 Member
    Yesterday: 2K row

Today
    Dumbbell lunges/Dumbbell RDLs superset
    Dumbbell bench press
    One arm dumbbell rows
    Dumbbell shoulder press
  • MikePfirrman
    edited June 2021
    Hot one today and it is hard superset / row interval day. Decided to give it a shot in the garage. Did 6 X 500m w/ 6 minute rests. During the rests, did pushups/chest work, leg work (weighted squats, lunges, step ups, deadlifts) and shoulder work. Ended up being around 3 minutes actual rest after the supersets. Tough stuff. Garage was 92 when I began and 99 when I finished. Even the huge fan didn't help much. Just felt like it was blowing hot air on me.

Rowing intervals were around a 2;02 average (I crashed and burned). Really watched HR closely, made sure it was coming down and left the pace controlled in the heat. For being silly enough to do this in a garage in AZ in the Summer, about as smart as I could be about it.

Might have to invest in that split A/C system for next year.