How to lose weight with PCOS??

Ladies with PCOS, what has worked for you??

I have been eating at a defecit and regularly exercising but the weight just doesn't want to shift. My Doc has now put me on a low does of Metformin for last 3 months but it hasn't made any difference to the scales either. I'm now waiting for a dietian referal.

I have read a lot about cutting out gluten for pcos, anyone had any succuess with this? Or what else have you tried that worked?

Replies

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    How good is your tracking? Are you using a food scale and checking database entries for consistency?

It’s totally possible to lose weight with PCOS, but some people (not all) have some lower calorie needs, and hence bvery thorough tracking, and of course patience is key.
  • Beverly2Hansen
    Beverly2Hansen Posts: 378 Member
    I lose weight much better when removing gluten and dairy which are both high inflammation foods. I have Endometriosis and possibly PCOS however my official diagnosis is Endometriosis. I have to log meticulously accurate compared to others. I weigh food, I use volumetric eating and I will gain massively with cheat days. To fix a cheat day takes me 1 week. It doesn't seem to matter if I lose weight with lots of exercise or just by eating in a deficit. I look better when I lose if I eat in a deficit and exercise. Hope that helps. When going gluten and dairy free you must manage at minimum 14 days in a row to know if those foods are an issue for you. I found personally it was obvious on day 14 I'm gluten and dairy sensitive. My insides felt clean and light. I hadn't known they felt wrong always eating those foods but they did. Women with Endometriosis or PCOS often report symptoms improving when they try but it's very individual.
  • nhecker
    nhecker Posts: 10 Member
    I have pcos the most success i have had is counting macros. I eat lower carb 40% carb 30% fat 30% protein. I started at 220 and got down to 155lb. I also started beachbody on demand and have be doing resistance training 4 days a week and cardio 2 times a week.
  • scarlett_k
    scarlett_k Posts: 812 Member
    I had PCOS but it's all but gone now I've lost weight. I didn't have any problem losing weight just by consistently counting calories (I say "just" as if it's a small thing but it's been a rollercoaster honestly) and maintaining an overall deficit over time.
  • xxzenabxx
    xxzenabxx Posts: 935 Member
    Ladies with PCOS, what has worked for you??

I have been eating at a defecit and regularly exercising but the weight just doesn't want to shift. My Doc has now put me on a low does of Metformin for last 3 months but it hasn't made any difference to the scales either. I'm now waiting for a dietian referal.

I have read a lot about cutting out gluten for pcos, anyone had any succuess with this? Or what else have you tried that worked?

What are your stats? Age, weight, height? Without enough information it’s hard to know. You can absolutely lose weight with pcos and a calorie deficit but what you eat also matters because you need to find foods that satiate you and actually help you stay in a calorie deficit. Generally women with pcos are more sensitive to inflammatory foods so I would try and cut down on gluten but beware because a lot of gluten free products are loaded with even more refined carbs and sugars. I would focus on aiming for 100-120g of carbs per day as it allows for enough complex carbs but it won’t be enough to crash your blood sugars. Oh and avoid eating too much sugar!
  • lianatherunner
    lianatherunner Posts: 45 Member
    Maybe check thyroid? I have PCOS and Hashimoto's. I have had massive weight fluctuations, but I have lost weight and maintained for years.
    What worked for me: t3 and t4 supplementation (which can be difficult because a lot of doctors don't prescribe both), Metformin, high-protein diet, low sugar, track and measure all my food, don't eat out, no alcohol.

It actually took me YEARS to lose over 100 lbs but it worked and I'm grateful and don't regret the time spent.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,221 Member
    For whatever health condition: if you're not losing (for more than a month) then you need to eat less.
  • Vicky_609
    Vicky_609 Posts: 17 Member
    I have PCOS and all the pcos diets I saw said cut out carbs, sugar and dairy. I didn't see any specify gluten. I person haven't cut anything although have reduced carbs especially processed carbs. The calorie deficit and exercise has helped. I did have run where I was eating a lot of bread for convenience for work lunches and that halted my loss.
  • yirara
    Bread itself does not half weightloss. Too much calories from bread will, as will too many calories from anything else.
  • holly55555
    holly55555 Posts: 307 Member
    My friend has PCOS and gained 20 lbs out of nowhere. She started that drug as well but combined it with a very low-carb, but high fiber diet and no gluten or alcohol as per her Dr's instruction. Combined with logging her food and exercising, she has lost the extra weight and the bloat has gone way down. But the carbs/alcohol control really seem to have made the most difference.
  • yirara
    holly55555 wrote: »
    My friend has PCOS and gained 20 lbs out of nowhere. She started that drug as well but combined it with a very low-carb, but high fiber diet and no gluten or alcohol as per her Dr's instruction. Combined with logging her food and exercising, she has lost the extra weight and the bloat has gone way down. But the carbs/alcohol control really seem to have made the most difference.

Great to hear. But how does she know that the carbs/alcohol made all the difference, and not tracking her food?