Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

1980s definatly, and back..Why were people more fit, toned and healthy Looking?

Replies

• YellowD0gs
    YellowD0gs Posts: 693 Member
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    MsCzar wrote: »
    I was
    So, so many snacks.

Having an afternoon snack right after school was a solid tradition. We lived near a Hostess Bakery outlet and boxes of Ho-ho's, Banana Flips, Snowballs and Zingers could be had for 50¢. We kids thought nothing of polishing off half a box in one go. Little Debbie apple cakes didn't last long either.

Of course the activity after the snack was going outside and playing not sitting on a video game eating more snacks like now.

Well, sometimes I'd have a snack and read a book or play with paper dolls or draw on the Etch-a-Sketch. Modern kids didn't invent sedentary hobbies. There probably are trends in physical activity that are relevant here, but I feel like this conversation overall is really flattening out differences and assuming an experience of 1980s life that is not necessarily accurate.

[ in the middle of BFE Nebraska.

Ha.

I've been there....

and I have never felt more alone in my life.

s8MP3QN32HsEepgNnHJ6U9Bp.jpeg

^^Pretty much...

Good corn though...

Good corn?

This is why I chuckle a bit to myself when city people who aren't familiar with agriculture start commenting on how crops and farm animals should be raised.

Especially when they're looking at a picture of a field of wheat stubble. :sunglasses:
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    edited June 2021
    YellowD0gs wrote: »
    I was
    So, so many snacks.

Having an afternoon snack right after school was a solid tradition. We lived near a Hostess Bakery outlet and boxes of Ho-ho's, Banana Flips, Snowballs and Zingers could be had for 50¢. We kids thought nothing of polishing off half a box in one go. Little Debbie apple cakes didn't last long either.

Of course the activity after the snack was going outside and playing not sitting on a video game eating more snacks like now.

Well, sometimes I'd have a snack and read a book or play with paper dolls or draw on the Etch-a-Sketch. Modern kids didn't invent sedentary hobbies. There probably are trends in physical activity that are relevant here, but I feel like this conversation overall is really flattening out differences and assuming an experience of 1980s life that is not necessarily accurate.

Ha.

I've been there....

^^Pretty much...

Good corn though...

Good corn?

This is why I chuckle a bit to myself when city people who aren't familiar with agriculture start commenting on how crops and farm animals should be raised.

Especially when they're looking at a picture of a field of wheat stubble. :sunglasses:

Dude it was a joke...I was more referencing growing up in BFE Nebraska and it's flat just like that with corn for days and not a whole hell of a lot more than that going on. I know what the *kitten* wheat looks like and what corn looks like. Not sure what the whole city people thing was in reference to either...literally grew up in Nebraska surrounded by farms.

Since we're so worried about the accuracy of what BFE Nebraska looks like here ya go...minus the windmills since we didn't have those then.

9950194525_ae99dd95e4_h.jpg

Better? JFC
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 12,935 Member
    I miss back in the 80s when people were more fit toned and healthy from running through the corn fields 😔

Well, for Sandy Duncan, it was indeed a wheat field.
  • wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    I'm from the east coast (well east coast state). We have mountains.

I went to Iowa once. aNd got lost in a cornfield.
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,366 Member
    I miss back in the 80s when people were more fit toned and healthy from running through the corn fields 😔

Now I'm thinking Children of the Corn...
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,427 Member
    I was
    So, so many snacks.

Ha.

I've been there....

^^Pretty much...

Good corn though...

Good corn?

Dude it was a joke...I was more referencing growing up in BFE Nebraska and it's flat just like that with corn for days and not a whole hell of a lot more than that going on. I know what the *kitten* wheat looks like and what corn looks like. Not sure what the whole city people thing was in reference to either...literally grew up in Nebraska surrounded by farms.

Since we're so worried about the accuracy of what BFE Nebraska looks like here ya go...minus the windmills since we didn't have those then.

Better? JFC

Sorry, I bet at least 50% of the people looking at that said yeah corn after picked.
  • mvhein
    mvhein Posts: 2 Member
    Well, first of all those women are not normal women, anymore than those paraded across the media today are. But I read an article a while ago that said the primary reason is we have a more sedentary culture now and easier access to SUPER JUNK food.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,717 Member
    mtaratoot wrote: »

Well, for Sandy Duncan, it was indeed a wheat field.

🤣🤣🤣

Maybe it's just me, but . . .

There's Sandy, in a wheat field, in 1981 . . . to my eye, looking very thin, under-muscled IMO by common current aspirational standards, and remarkably pale for someone wandering through a wheat field boosting "healthy" crackers. If that's an example of 1980s "fit, toned and healthy Looking" (sic), perhaps the whole basis of disagreement in this thread is what those terms mean, in an applied sense.

Whatever: That's hilarious.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    My mom's mom grew up in Nebraska's Sandhills, and met my grandfather when he was working on a ranch there. They often visited in the summer when she was growing up. I've never been, since all of our closest relatives had either moved or died by the time I was a kid in the '80s (to stay on theme).

They have a marathon https://sandhillsmarathon.net/.
  • 33gail33
    33gail33 Posts: 1,155 Member
    edited June 2021
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,950 Member
    I was
    So, so many snacks.

Ha.

I've been there....

^^Pretty much...

Good corn though...

Good corn?

I took it as a reference to Nebraska, not to the picture.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,950 Member
    ythannah wrote: »

You should be thinking Twilight Zone and Billy Mumy.

iw96bec1kaul.png
    hcdpe3majefw.png
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,570 Member
    ythannah wrote: »

You should be thinking Twilight Zone and Billy Mumy.

iw96bec1kaul.png
    hcdpe3majefw.png

Yup!
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    I was
    So, so many snacks.

Ha.

I've been there....

^^Pretty much...

Good corn though...

Good corn?

I took it as a reference to Nebraska, not to the picture.

Yeah, me too.
  • JessD9031
    JessD9031 Posts: 581 Member
    I was
    So, so many snacks.

Ha.

I've been there....

A couple guys in first class on a flight
    From new York to Los Angeles,
    Kinda making small talk killing time,
    Flirting with the flight attendants,
    Thirty thousand feet above, could be Oklahoma,
    Just a bunch of square cornfields and wheat farms,
    Man it all looks the same,
    Miles and miles of back roads and highways,
    Connecting little towns with funny names,
    Who'd want to live down there in the middle of nowhere,
  • YellowD0gs
    YellowD0gs Posts: 693 Member
    I was
    So, so many snacks.

Ha.

I've been there....

^^Pretty much...

Good corn though...

Good corn?

Better? JFC

It was taken as a joke, and my response was offered as a joke. Relax, chill. Later.
  • cherys
    cherys Posts: 387 Member
    I think it's a combination of two things - a massive increase in fast food is one. I remember going to the only MacDonalds in central London in about 1980. I'd never heard of it before. There was nothing like it in my home town. Now there are several fast food places on every high street. Snacks are bigger, high fat and sugar and so cheap. Portion sizes have grown enormously too.

The other thing is a huge reduction in the amount of exercise the average person takes. There were no mobile phones, no remote controls for TVs, no computers. If you wanted to change channels on TV you got up and crossed the room. If you wanted to tell a colleague something you walked the stairs to their office. Children all walked to and from school, to and from after school activities. We easily walked 10-20k steps every day. Often much more. I know people say you don't lose weight from exercise alone (although I lost 15lbs in 6 months just by increasing activity) but people ate less and moved way, way more.