Getting back to prepregnancy weight

Options
kk08095060
kk08095060 Posts: 14 Member
Hello all! I’m a 28 year old mother of two.

After IVF, a miscarriage, and two successful pregnancies all in under 3 years, I have about 20 more pounds to lose to get back to my preferred weight (already 9 pounds down!)

I’m breastfeeding a newborn and chasing a 1.5 year old, so time and sleep are commodities I have none of, but I’m making healthier choices anyway. Slow and steady is the name of the game!

I would love to find some friends on here so we can support one another.

Replies

• penguinmama87
    penguinmama87 Posts: 1,158 Member
    edited June 2021
    Options
    Hello!

I'm 34 and a mom of five so far. :) I started getting really serious about weight loss at the beginning of the year after putting it off until a time that never seemed to arrive, which I'm sure seems familiar as a mom of littles!

My youngest is still mostly exclusively breastfed (I'd love for her to like solids more at 11 months old but she's still very, very skeptical) and I've been able to lose weight just fine as soon as I started carefully tracking, which once you get used to it really doesn't take much time at all. I didn't start formal exercise for several months, and when I did I started with postpartum-friendly routines on YouTube. Slow and steady is indeed how it goes for us. I'm about five pounds under my most recent pre-pregnancy weight now, but I have about 40 lbs more to get to my goal weight. I used to think it would be impossible and endless suffering, but it really isn't. MFP is a really nice place to hang out to get good info. :)
  • stichdaniella
    stichdaniella Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm a mother of two as well.
    When I wanted to lose weight, my nutritionist recommended that I try light therapy. Two months ago I didn't even know that something like this can really help to lose weight so I just did research on several websites and found out that it does help, and some people really managed to lose 3-4lbs per month. So I just tried red light therapy for losing weight and now I am 148lbs (I started from 156lbs). You can check the article that I linked above and decide whether this way can work for you. But I would also recommend seeing your doctor before trying it.
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,216 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm a mother of two as well.
    When I wanted to lose weight, my nutritionist recommended that I try light therapy. Two months ago I didn't even know that something like this can really help to lose weight so I just did research on several websites and found out that it does help, and some people really managed to lose 3-4lbs per month. So I just tried red light therapy for losing weight and now I am 148lbs (I started from 156lbs). You can check the article that I linked above and decide whether this way can work for you. But I would also recommend seeing your doctor before trying it.

The linked write-up is from an institute who's whole deal appears to be light therapy so I'd take their very positive view with some skepticism.

This Healthline summary would be less biased and paints a pretty neutral picture about the technology
    https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/red-light-therapy-weight-loss#bottom-line

Further, here's a post from the National Center for Health Research that delves into the limitations and conflicts of interest of the studies presented by the original linked write-up
    https://www.center4research.org/infrared-light-therapy-work-weight-reduction/

That's nice that it worked for Daniella, but I have a lot of skepticism about this sort of technology doing anything useful. The studies appear to completely ignore any dietary variables and in some cases are bankrolled by the parent companies of the equipment vendors/manufacturers...so of course the study they fund is going to tell a nice story. Not knowing the credentials of the nutritionist, it's entirely possible they have a vested interested and/or get kickbacks for referrals to light therapy. In short, the science seems very much limited; I stick to the principle of there are no shortcuts that circumvent the basics of diet and exercise and anyone who claims otherwise is only trying to sell something.